The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
So, after close to twelve months of writing, re-writing, updating, overhauling and fine tuning my adult thriller, the agent gave it a no go. It seems I write "too quiet" for the adult mystery/thriller genre. A suitable rewrite would require several more months of revamping.

No guns, no murder, no mayhem, no adventure = no chance.

I guess I'll stick with kids' books, but those have been called "too quiet" on occasion, too. That's probably why they remain piled on the agency desk.

I honestly don't know how to write any other way. I wish there was a way to channel my inner Sam Kinison.

Time to step away from the keyboard for a bit.

{{{Vandal}}} Out of curiosity, is your agent saying "no" to projects more often than "yes"? If so, there might be an issue of compatibility w/ your agent as much as an issue with the "quietness" or your stories. Or maybe not. Just a possibility :) I hate to see you getting discouraged from writing what you want to write.

{{{LRB}}} and {{{LWalker}}}

So sorry to both of you!!!

This Persephone/Hades convo is really wonderful. Was glued to my Twitter feed all yesterday for the election, but I bet the convo here was hoppin!

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
Hello in here. I've repped along the way, but I wanted to say again how much I love the way you tell the story of Hades, Clovia.

I stayed up way too late last night and then overslept this morning and had to hustle cranky kidlets off to school so I could come home, whip through some work, then go back to school to volunteer, so no NaNo for me, even my little pretend goals But I shall triumph tomorrow! (Unless we wind up with a snow day. Then all bets are off.)

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
I'm very sorry, Kimmi.

(((Vandal)))

Yes, Clovia, you tell that story so well. You'd be a marvel at romangst.

A good six inches of snow here. It's wet and bent tree limbs, but I learned my lesson from last winter and didn't venture out to brush them off. We just did a snow-shovel ballet on our driveway and my arms are tremulous.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Kimmi))) ((LWalker))) I'm so sorry, both of you.

(((Vandal)))

I'm having a bit of a down day. Don't want to get into it. But...eh.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Kimmi))) Terrible, sad day.

(((Snappy)))

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Got a friend to order the first 2 of your books, Tas.

NaNo - 19720.

Caught D's laryngitis despite best efforts. Ow. I'm running on 2 hours of sleep in 24hrs so far.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning lovelys :)

I am LOVING the nano word counts Y'all are KILLING IT :)

(((Kimmi)))
((LWalker)))
(((Vandal)))
:(

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Purgatory.

Bit of a tough work day today, I think. And why is it only Thursday???

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
(((Kimmi))) (((Snappy))) (((Ktaylor)))

Kimmi, that post has given me the kick I need to go get my flu shot. I've had the pneumonia vaccine, but it only protects against viral pneumonia, and the bacterial one is far more lethal and sometimes comes on from the aftereffects of the flu.

And this is my not-so-subtle way to encourage everyone out there to get flu shots/mist too.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Snappy)))

(((KT)))

(((Kellion)))

Got about an inch of snow by us, and now it's turning to rain. So gross outside. Today's my last official day of work until Saturday when I have to be at the office by 9:30 a.m. to catch my flight to D.C.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

((Kimmi))
((Vandal))
((Snappy))
((KTaylor))

I am off to go get some bloodwork done today. Yippee!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Dys or any other German speakers out there- I'm reading an old book called Elizabeth and her German Garden. It's a memoir by an English woman married to a German man. Anyway, there is a sentence about the husband eating spickgans, which she says is a delicacy in the region. Anyone know what they are?

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't sleep haven't been to bed yet perky perky perky hi!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
sammy, I just came back from a blood draw. :) Getting moused next Wednesday and they want to check my levels. This drug isn't bad, but it could work better. I foresee more dose adjustments in my future.

*wiggles nose*

Elisabetta

Watching the world go by
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethloupas.com
Dys or any other German speakers out there- I'm reading an old book called Elizabeth and her German Garden. It's a memoir by an English woman married to a German man. Anyway, there is a sentence about the husband eating spickgans, which she says is a delicacy in the region. Anyone know what they are?

Herr Google says, "smoked goose breast."

((Kimmi))
((Vandal))
((Snappy))
((KTaylor))

Last edited:

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Lily - I was just wondering how your mouse venom treatments were going. (what do you mean mice don't have venom?)

KT - Thanks!

Mornin' folk!

Most people at work today are gone for some big forum thingy, so I anticipate doing as little as possible.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin' folk!
I would not describe myself as mornin' folk, actually. (Sorry, I can't resist a straight-line.)

Woke to saddening news. The father of one of our kids' few high school friends died. He worked for Mr. Maryn's company, but their jobs rarely overlapped so they only saw one another occasionally. This leaves the man's widow with a son living hand-to-mouth in New York and a severely developmentally disabled son at home who--literally--does not sleep.

I suppose it's always like this, good people dying before their times, but man, it's sure piling on lately.

Maryn, sobered

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Lily - I was just wondering how your mouse venom treatments were going. (what do you mean mice don't have venom?)

LOL! I'll have you know I read through that sentence without batting an eye, so apparently on some level I assumed mice do have venom.

Why is Clovia so perky?

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No sleep no sleep always perky with no sleep!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{Maryn}}}

Does this mean I can blame my innate evilness on mouse venom? I like it. *gasp* Maybe this is why Dioxippus loves to chomp my hands! :eek:

Elisabetta, every time I see your covers, I drool. They are lush.

*sneaks up behind Clovia and wraps her in a heated blanket impregnated with valerian*

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Away with your magic blanket I haven't felt this good since the last time I stayed up all night I need to vacuum and the glue on the drawer front should be dry by now and I need the clamp for this thingy over here that won't stand up and why the hell is there crown molding in the hallway but nowhere else in the apartment who does that?

NIYRAK

Plot Ninja's on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Away with your magic blanket I haven't felt this good since the last time I stayed up all night I need to vacuum and the glue on the drawer front should be dry by now and I need the clamp for this thingy over here that won't stand up and why the hell is there crown molding in the hallway but nowhere else in the apartment who does that?

I admit.. I love sleep deprived Clovia.. she's random and funny lol ;)

Elisabeth I LOVE the German cover... so full of PURTY....

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

ah the wonderful nights of no sleep... It's amazing what you can do/discover/destroy in those nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.