Status
Not open for further replies.

WritingDemons

Reclusive doesn't begin to cover it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jackykendricks.blogspot.com
I wish Scrivener (or Pages, or Word) had a function that highlights commonly misused words. Cause sometimes I'm not even aware there ARE two different ways to spell that word, and they have very different meanings. (Further, farther, anyone?)

I don't mind double checking things, but first I have to know there's the potential that I've used it wrong. Does that make sense, or am I the only one with this issue?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I. Hate. Shopping.

Hate. Hate. Hate.

However, I survived with only mild annoyance and tired feet. got Mr. Lily 2 shirts (on sale!) and a funny board game for the parents (on major sale).

The board game I wanted to get but didn't was called "Damn you, autocorrect!" and you had 30 seconds to guess what the text was really supposed to say. It made me laugh out loud. But the parents don't text and they most like would think they "couldn't" play it. So I got them "Battle of the Sexes" which also looks funny.

And with a couple Starbucks gift cards, I am done, done, done!!!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
wd, i'm afraid that's what copy editors
are for.

lily pie, i'm actually willing to skip past
xmas and go straight to january right now.
awful, i know.

cindy, unreligious antisocial heathen

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a Christmas person. I like the lights, but I don't like decorating, and since I'm what I call a "Catholic agnostic" I feel weird celebrating something I'm unsure about. However, my kids love it, as does my husband, and I'm happy to indulge.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
X-Cin, I love Christmas. I love it better now that I hit the "Simplify or Implode" button and cut way back on a lot of stuff.

--2-3 kinds of cookies, max.
--Online shopping for everything possible; mall trips on off-peak days when I must.
--No cards.
--Less "stuff" as gifts; edibles, games, and books. A few gift cards.

This gives me time to watch hokey Christmas movies and listen to music. To hang with my family and play a game or three. A less-stressed Lily might actually smile in December.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a blend of the two of you. We're all atheists (or godless heathens, depending on your outlook), but we celebrate Christmas as the gift-giving, be-warm-toward-all, Santa holiday. And we do a lot of party-type games, at least one a day, often two, one all afternoon, one all evening. If you need suggestions for games the parents can play which won't make your sons roll their eyes, give me a holler.

Maryn, who always loses at Pictionary

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish Scrivener (or Pages, or Word) had a function that highlights commonly misused words. Cause sometimes I'm not even aware there ARE two different ways to spell that word, and they have very different meanings. (Further, farther, anyone?)

I don't mind double checking things, but first I have to know there's the potential that I've used it wrong. Does that make sense, or am I the only one with this issue?
Obviously it's past time you made yourself a list of words which have, or could, trip you up. Maybe there aren't a lot of lists because which words qualify would differ from one writer to the next.

Start that list today, with farther and further! I'd have to add less and fewer, disinterested, adverse and averse, and a bunch more. Google misused words for ones you can pick and choose from.

Maryn, who used to have a long list of words she can't spell

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening all.
Busy day as the little one is sick and cuddly.

It's cute until you get that cough complete with flying spittle right to the eyeball

Hope everyone had a great day

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com

wd, i'm afraid that's what copy editors
are for.

Definitely this. Usually I'm in the "you need to learn how to do this stuff" camp, but for the life of me I have never been able to successfully learn lie/lay or farther/further. I figure that's what the nitpickers are for. :)

It's cute until you get that cough complete with flying spittle right to the eyeball

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I always flash back to that movie, Outbreak. INFECTED!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
we went to las vegas and
i illegally gambled and had great
buffet on christmas day.

i wouldn't mind that again. ha!

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Maryn is wise.

I am determined not to let Christmas totally depress me this year, because for some reason it always does. Hm.

I'm officially done shopping, too. Even found something for ridiculously hard to shop for housemate (I have absolutely no problems shopping for nerdy people, but my housemate and I are seriously opposite as far as interests etc. are concerned).

Also, that new coffee maker? Bliss! *sipping first delicious cup of many to come*

Oh and I seem to have gotten my cats high on new catnip toys. Hysterical.

Personal accomplishment of today thigh: I cleaned my basement flat! Vaccuumed, organized, dusted, did laundry... It now doesn't look like a total slob is living here anymore. Now all I need to do is throw together my English lit portfolio and write my take home exam over the weekend. Feelings of sweet success, I has it! :D

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
We always give the cats catnip toys on Christmas morning. I save old clothes, cut out a rectangle, and sew it up into a square, stuffing it with nip. We think it distracts them when we leave for Syracuse a few minutes later.

:evil

Dawn Schaefer

Registered
Reaction score
My husband went Syracuse & I've been informed I will be going there in February for some sort of sport thing.

EDIT: I write mostly on my phone, hence the grammar, capitalization, & weird autocorrect word choices. I can, I think, actually string coherent words together.

Last edited:

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, today wasn't a bad day, but I had this feeling something good would happen but it didn't. Well, I got a request on a old pitch my agent sent a month ago, but that's not a big enough deal to be the good thing I was hoping for.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
hey ya. repped a bit. I am a godless heathen but like christmas for the decor, the songs, and the family/friends gatherings. sad that I am missing a lot of my regular ones this year but at least I will be back in time for a few and for the main event.

Dawn Schaefer

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, guys!

I having my hair cut & colored today for the first time since leaving Paris. The water there wrecked it, so I expect it will have to be cut fairly short :(

Tonight, my neighbor is having Ladies Night. I feel so social awkward at these things & live in fear of swearing too much & being generally inappropriate. Put me in a room of men & I'm fine, but large groups of women I barely know scare the piss out of me.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
We're getting a tree tonight... in the rain. :Wha: If we can trust the weathermen (stop laughing!), they're predicting a shift to "normal for Bflo" next week. These mild winters freak us out up here.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

i didn't sleep worth a damn last night. Gah. Maybe I can take a nap sometime today.

Dawn's book is ze awesome.

Ummm. Yeah. That's about it. Except maybe that my friend found a really good endocrinologist in my area who is really experienced with my autoimmune disease. Too bad I can't afford to go see her. But maybe one day when I get health insurance.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sammy, I hope so. Feeling crummy a lot of the time sucks the spirit from a person, you know? Yeah, I'm sure you do.

Not much to report here. Our kids are starting to ask questions about what their dad might want for Christmas. Both had planned computer-related things, but Mr. Maryn's computer is so old I don't think it can run them. I've been nagging at him to replace it for a couple of years at least, but he can drag his feet with the best of them.

I'm heading out for groceries. Shall I restock the Purgatory craft table?

Maryn, on a pomegranate kick

Status
Not open for further replies.