Jed's Super-Dooper Baileys Pub for Newbies, Dragons, Saints & Sinners

Status
Not open for further replies.

MirandaWrites

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, I think vampires are timeless. People have been writing about vampires for centuries. Unless you are doing the "Twilight" shimmering ones, I don't think your book is going to fall under "over done."

I don't have a single shimmery vampire, or klutzy teen girl in my book!

Secondly, I personally don't care what unwritten rules there are. I write to please myself; if you don't like what I write, don't read it. I know what I write has a very small target audience, but I love what I do. And apparently other people love what I do because I already have a following with many people eagerly awaiting my first published book and all I've posted so far has been fanfiction.
I can FIX opening with a dream, and I can FIX introduction via reflection. (It's not really a reflection. She's looking at an ancestor, that looks exactly like her "perfect version of herself," in a dream, she has no idea who she is, but one could still argue the concept of a reflection is still there. ) I can't get rid of the dream because it's relevant to the story, but I can move it. I just can't make the vampires and other mystical creatures go away. That's what I WANTED to write about!

Thirdly, good for you! Don't let criticism stop you! You have to take what you can from it and improve. I struggle when people say negative things about my writing too, so I know how you felt. But if you can step away just a little, listening to what they say objectively and logically, it will help you write so much better!
I like constructive criticism and I know how valuable it can be. I posted a tiny bit and the advice was great. I knew what they were going to say, so I was prepared for it and it wasn't bad. I actually agreed.

If you ever need someone to rant to or need an ego stroking, you are always welcome to PM me! Sometimes we all need a good shoulder to cry on.

And this is why I have no intentions of "hair flipping" this website. Because I'm not feeling anything that is new around here and everyone has been so great. Thank you! :)

Miz Erie

Black Mariah
Registered
Reaction score
...the deep, dark corner of my tragically tortured
If you're comfortable making those changes and agree with what they said, then maybe you should.

I promise I wasn't implying anything rudely. I just... I like what I write, and I know there is an audience for it. But I've been told so many times I need to write something more broad. I don't understand why I should; there is a desire for it and a lack of material to read. I don't care about being famous or on a best seller list; I care about writing what I like and sharing it with other that like the same thing. I know that's going to make it difficult for me to get published, but that's something I'm willing to deal with.

My point is, if you love what you write and are willing to fight for it, then do so. But then, I'm no authority on the matter. I'm simply a headstrong person that knows what I want.

And this is why I have no intentions of "hair flipping" this website. Because I'm not feeling anything that is new around here and everyone has been so great. Thank you! :)

Everyone has been nothing but nice since I've been on here. I feel so welcome when I log in. And you're quite welcome!

Can I get you a drink? Name your poison...

Booker

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
ATTENTION!

EYES RIGHT!

Booker Boo is about to get smashed quite!!!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
It's a fanfic right now, but I'm hoping to rewrite a few parts and try to do something with it. I want to post some of it here, but I have to be careful because it has multiple rape scenes in it.
If in doubt about posting something in SYW, you can always ask the SYW mods of that genre just to see. They don't bite and there can be a bit of give-and-take with stuff. (although no fanfic).

I am totally stumped at trying to learn how to make links like you just did, L.Y., with the contest thread?
Highlight the text you want, click on the thingy that looks like the earth with a little chain thing, a pop out box will appear, then put in the url and press okay. Magic.
INSERT NAP...
Okay, Miranda. Why did you start writing? For the escape. For the pleasure. For the accomplishment. Oh yeah. SO what do the rules matter? They don't. I'm gonna go fish my book, out of that frog with a tails mouth, hang it out to dry, and be damn proud of the work that I put into it, breaking all the rules and loving every minute of it.

The END. :)
With the rules, you should remember that they can be broken and they aren't rules. If you do something well, then it can be published. Inception is just one giant dream sequence, for example.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Z. How have you been?

Hi! :hi:
Exhausted - have been running a lot of errands. I'm going to pour myself a Baileys and sit with some ice on my knee a bit.

ENTER AW....
"You can't start a book with a dream." "It's just cliche to introduce your character in a reflection." "Seriously? Another vampire book? Those things are so over done. Nothing new."
Tear, tear... cry, cry. I thought it was amazing and apparently there are all these unwritten rules. I give up. Writing is just not for me.
INSERT NAP...
Okay, Miranda. Why did you start writing? For the escape. For the pleasure. For the accomplishment. Oh yeah. SO what do the rules matter? They don't. I'm gonna go fish my book, out of that frog with a tails mouth, hang it out to dry, and be damn proud of the work that I put into it, breaking all the rules and loving every minute of it.

Yeah, I read the "rules" then saw 3 movies that started with either waking up from a dream or starting with their normal daily routine - both "no, no's".

If you can rework where the dream occurs, fine, but don't throw everything out just 'cause of the "rules".

Great attitude, but do be careful of that "frog". There may be some actual frogs in the drains, but the strange creature I saw even had L.Y. looking a little shaken when I mentioned it was climbing his leg.

AdeaNeedsCoffee

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! Where am I? What day is it? Whaaaaa------oooooooooohhhhhh. My head hurts. Oh, what was in that drink?
Adea stumbles for the bathroom wondering why no one has bothered to at least pick her up off the floor.
UUUUUUUHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Adea leaves.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon, Pubbers. :hi:

Hi! :hi:
Exhausted - have been running a lot of errands. I'm going to pour myself a Baileys and sit with some ice on my knee a bit.
Here, have another Baileys on the house. Is your knee okay?
There may be some actual frogs in the drains, but the strange creature I saw even had L.Y. looking a little shaken when I mentioned it was climbing his leg.
*puffs out chest*

I ain't afraid of no "frog."

:e2teeth:

Eeek!

Hey! Where am I? What day is it? Whaaaaa------oooooooooohhhhhh. My head hurts. Oh, what was in that drink?
Adea stumbles for the bathroom wondering why no one has bothered to at least pick her up off the floor.
Adea leaves.
Wait--What? Where did she go?

:D

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Wait--What? Where did she go?

:D

She did move pretty fast for someone crawling on the floor.

Afternoon, Pubbers. :hi:

Here, have another Baileys on the house. Is your knee okay?

Ahhh, thanks, L.Y. That hit the spot! The knee - not so good - torn ligament and due for surgery Thurs. :(

*puffs out chest*

I ain't afraid of no "frog."

Eeek!

See! I said it wasn't one of Jed's frogs! This thing has a tail long enough to reach all the way from the bar to the bathroom. And those teeth!

*feels something on legs*

Uh oh. . .

*looks down and confirms it is the same creature*

*gulp*

L.Y., h h how did you get this thing off you?

:eek:

Miz Erie

Black Mariah
Registered
Reaction score
...the deep, dark corner of my tragically tortured
I refuse to be distracted from writing by the internet tonight... so here I sit... *grabs a Mountain Dew*... drinking soda. Nice. *talks to myself* My story's not even on this page, dummy. It's hard to write it from here. *looks around to see if anyone saw me talking to myself*

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Highlight the text you want, click on the thingy that looks like the earth with a little chain thing, a pop out box will appear, then put in the url and press okay. Magic.

Thanks. I love magic. I figured there was some around here somewhere. :D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2teeth::e2teeth::e2teeth::e2teeth::e2teeth::e2teeth::e2teeth:

What ARE these things????

looks like I managed to smash one......

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kylabelle. I'm not so sure myself. I tend to avoid them when I go down to the dungeon to bring up more cases of Baileys. :D

Care for a drink?

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
I refuse to be distracted from writing by the internet tonight... so here I sit... *grabs a Mountain Dew*... drinking soda. Nice. *talks to myself* My story's not even on this page, dummy. It's hard to write it from here. *looks around to see if anyone saw me talking to myself*

Nope; bit busy here to worry about someone talking to themself.

Sorry about the knee. :Hug2: Wishing you a speedy recovery, and drinks are on the house.

Thanks

L.Y.? You okay?
Darn. That doesn't help much.

Thanks. I love magic. I figured there was some around here somewhere. :D

It's a super-dooper pub - of course there's magic.

Now if I could just figure out the spell for this thing. :e2teeth:

:e2teeth::e2teeth::e2teeth::e2teeth::e2teeth::e2teeth::e2teeth:

What ARE these things????

looks like I managed to smash one......

There's more than one! :scared:
*faints*

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got a recommendation for a sci-fi or fantasy movie I could watch? Maybe an obscure one that is really good but has been overlooked by everyone.

its an older one was popular back in the day so to speak

Ladyhawk :) and yes i have it on dvd

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2drunk:

(checks the bottom of shoe)

not sure how easy those things are to smash, they may just reproduce from the broken bits.

(checks shoe again)

Ah well, maybe they're just thirsty.

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
And one more for the road. :e2drunk:

Night, Pubbers! :hi:

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
:e2drunk:

(checks the bottom of shoe)

not sure how easy those things are to smash, they may just reproduce from the broken bits.

(checks shoe again)

Ah well, maybe they're just thirsty.

Reproduce? *gulp* Oh heavens I hope not!

Thirsty, yeah. . . let's hope that's it. But they can't have my Baileys!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a mystery I'll have to leave to the night shift.

G'night, pubbers, critters, crawlers, and all.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Adea leaves.
Hey, you can't escape that easily. Come back and have a coffee.
Ahhh, thanks, L.Y. That hit the spot! The knee - not so good - torn ligament and due for surgery Thurs. :(
Good luck for the surgery on Thursday. We'll all be here thinking of you, and drinking. Maybe save you a drink for your recovery. :e2drunk:
:e2steer: Was someone just talking to themselves? That is the second sign of madnees, you know. The first sign is talking to other people. ;)
And one more for the road. :e2drunk:
:yessmiley

Hang on, just one? :eek:

Briony-zisaya

Punctuation and I don't get along
Registered
Reaction score
Multi-Quote for my lack of AW time

Hmm, read a book. Read a book? Reading. Like, an actual book? Err, I dunno. That sounds really hard.
Yes, I know, 'tis a difficult concept to grasp......just don't set it on fire :D

I'm taking a quick cigarette break from writing
Am I a weirdo cus I smoke while I write? *is worried now*

Hey everyone! I'm happy to report I had a nap. This means my cranky little temper-tantrum has dissipated... for now!

Here is my "problem." Last April, I was at this really strange place in my life. Everything was monotonous, lackluster even. I had been reading so much, that I started to fall into that "why can't my life be this interesting," sort of place. So... then I pick up this series of books, and I kept thinking... oh my goodness. I could write this. It wasn't that great of a book, yet somehow, this person had managed to get it published. Then I picked up another series of shorts that gave me the same feeling.
I'm the type of person sets her mind to do something, and I push through it and make it happen. Unless I get overwhelmed and then that's a whole different issue.
Moving on. I wake up one day, and decide I'm just going to do it. I literally outlined the whole book and wrote 2 chapters that day. Being a mom of 3, it's hard to find time to write, but I had managed to write around 65,000 words in a month and I had never written in this context before.
Originally it became and escape for me. A place to go and create and control everything. Then, I had to figure out what I was going to do with this fabulous escape from reality once I was done with it.
A lot of things happen in life in the interim and I have to set my book to the side for several months. January first comes around and I decide "Okay, 2013. Bring it on, because I am going to finish that darn book." I write a ton. Happy, happy... joy, joy.
ENTER AW....
"You can't start a book with a dream." "It's just cliche to introduce your character in a reflection." "Seriously? Another vampire book? Those things are so over done. Nothing new."
Tear, tear... cry, cry. I thought it was amazing and apparently there are all these unwritten rules. I give up. Writing is just not for me.
INSERT NAP...

I especially wanted to respond to the part in bold because a few years ago I ran into the same feedback. Not in regards to a vampire story, but still it was the same...you can't do this, you shouldn't do that, all that jazz. Here's the thing. Not everyone has the same opinion and if you can manage to put your own twist on a new vamp story, then do it. I love reading about vamps, always have and always will. I like how they vary from one author to the next. Even the ones that have similarities to each other I find interesting.

About the whole dream thing and the rest of the so-called rules, I say :e2tongue:. Write the story the way you want and don't worry about every minor detail you get from critiques because what may please one will not always please another. It's a difficult task to finish a book and have it published but if it's what you want to do, then do your best at it and be proud of what you've accomplished. :)

EDIT: Morning Pubbers! :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.