Status
Not open for further replies.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to all Weekend Updaters, past, present and future. Yes, it's a new thread for a new year!

To refresh for those long-time Progress Reporters and to clarify for all the new ones -- we're here to help you achieve your goals by being the place where you're accountable, being a cheering section, the shoulder to cry on, the folks who say those people who rejected you are fools, FOOLS, and they'll rue the day, the folks who cheer wildly when you get an acceptance, and so on.

The "Rules" for posting here are pretty simple.

1. You don't have to write humor to post here -- any writer writing in any or all genres can post here. But you can be funny if you want. We're all over the funny.

2. Every weekend, starting on Friday and ending on Sunday, we post the progress we've made with our various writing careers. This includes whatever you consider part of your career -- writing, editing, submitting, critiquing, promotion, brainstorming, research, etc. It's your career, it's up to you.

3. How to report? Give us your word count for the week, your submissions for the week, the number of words you edited during the week, any acceptances garnered, and anything else you did to move your career forward. It's that simple.

4. Since many writers are also artists and musicians, we count art- and music-related progress as well, as long as it's also part of your overall career.

5. The WPR Dominatrix (that's me) hands out virtual prizes and encouragements and so forth. We occasionally have a Guest Dominatrix because, thanks in great part to this thread, I'm traveling frequently these days. Sometimes there are reporting challenges that all are encouraged to participate in, since they build writing skills (we swear).

6. There are prizes for: The most words written in a week; the most submissions for the week; the most words edited for the week; the first to report each Friday; and the last to come in late (we don't encourage competition for this one!); the exciting news of the week (like acceptances, media coverage, getting paid, etc.)

7. What counts for submissions? Anything where your piece could be rejected. Blogs count for word count, but not for submission, UNLESS your blog can (really and truly) be rejected by someone else other than yourself, aka an actual editor/boss. When posting, be sure to make the distinction for a rejectable blog, so it can count in your submissions tally for the week.

8. Remember that being accountable helps achieve goals. We encourage updates even when someone hasn't done anything or anything much. The act of reporting IS an important step, and we want to hear from you, even if it's to say you achieved squat for the week.

9. Yes, if you drift away and come back there are no penalties. This is a support thread, not your job or your mom. Therefore, it's up to you how frequently you update. Studies have shown that being accountable is a huge factor in success (seriously, and we are not making this up), but it's all down to you, and we will not be down ON you.

Still confused about how it works? Check out the 2012 & 2013 threads for examples.

Welcome to 2014, let's make this the Year of the Updaters and really achieve those career goals!

theelfchild

Thinking up something clever
Registered
Reaction score
*grabs for first nanner of the year*
I wrote 2125 words...of fanfiction... *cough*

In a totally unrelated note, I saw the move Frozen 4 times. (guess what the fanfiction was for...)

Also HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Worked on Penelope (about 1K).
Blogged
Submitted piece for the Catholic Stand
Submitted The Book of Helen for review by Catholic Writer's guild
Booked interview in April for podcast about Historical fiction from Conservative/Libertarian Literary Alliance
wrote poem in Small Stones closed poetry group.
wrote weekly small success piece for Catholicmom.com
networked with Linkedin
Read more of Everyday Life in Ancient Greece.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*grabs for first nanner of the year*
I wrote 2125 words...of fanfiction... *cough*

In a totally unrelated note, I saw the move Frozen 4 times. (guess what the fanfiction was for...)

Also HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Nanner Time
:banana::banana::banana:

2125 words
:Clap::Clap::Clap:

Fan fiction counts. I love good Transformer ff

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Worked on Penelope (about 1K).
Blogged
Submitted piece for the Catholic Stand
Submitted The Book of Helen for review by Catholic Writer's guild
Booked interview in April for podcast about Historical fiction from Conservative/Libertarian Literary Alliance
wrote poem in Small Stones closed poetry group.
wrote weekly small success piece for Catholicmom.com
networked with Linkedin
Read more of Everyday Life in Ancient Greece.

Blog
:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

3 submissions
:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

interview
:Sun::Sun::Sun:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Words: 8778 (not fanfiction :D )
Blog Posts: 3

Went to see Frozen Sunday morning with my son. Got whined at when I got back. Went to see Frozen Sunday evening with, well, guess who. :tongue

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yo, reg.

I talked to Barb Taylor recently. She's the original thread momma for the Weekend Report which you probably know. She asked me to give you this.

taser.jpg

It's her own personal taser. The one she used to whip everybody into shape every week. Looks to me like a few of these reprobates could use this kind of "extra care."

*runs*

theelfchild

Registered
Reaction score
Why would you give Reg the taser???? *runs away*

*runs back for a second* Welcome, and congrats Hanson! Hope you stick around! *runs away again*

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Short Story accepted by nice reputable zine.

Nice way to start off the new year. :)
'Grats, Hanson. Fill us in in the particulars when you have them--pup, date of pub, etc.

*runs back for a second* Welcome, and congrats Hanson! Hope you stick around! *runs away again*
Aha. See? It's peeps like you that need to be tazed a time or three.

Git 'er, Reg.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Words: 8778 (not fanfiction :D )
Blog Posts: 3

Went to see Frozen Sunday morning with my son. Got whined at when I got back. Went to see Frozen Sunday evening with, well, guess who. :tongue

8,778 words
:Clap::Clap::Clap:

3 blog posts
:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yo, reg.

I talked to Barb Taylor recently. She's the original thread momma for the Weekend Report which you probably know. She asked me to give you this.

taser.jpg

It's her own personal taser. The one she used to whip everybody into shape every week. Looks to me like a few of these reprobates could use this kind of "extra care."

*runs*

Oh, spiffy thanks.

Looky,
thtaser8kz4ia.gif
it works

theelfchild

Registered
Reaction score
:cry: Shouldn't you be using that taser on people who... I dunno... haven't reported yet despite clearly being able to post on the thread...

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Aha. See? It's peeps like you that need to be tazed a time or three.

Git 'er, Reg.

I know who Reg should use the taser on, and it's not my elfchild.

Well, maybe it is too, but I think the puppy needs it more. Is that um, puppy pee on my slippers, by any chance? And why no words reported????

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to taser all of you if you make me pull this thread over. I will. I mean it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Time For the First Awards For 2014

Nanner-theelfchild
:banana::banana::banana:

Word Count-Yeshanu 8,778
:Jump::Jump::Jump:

Blog Posts-Yeshanu 3