Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Greg - re: Win8 - I'm huge on multitasking, so those lame-o "apps" that are ALL in their own window - like the viewers that pop up in another screen - drive me nuts. I hate that. I want to have six windows open in one screen while music is playing in a seventh program. For touch screen, I get it, super easy to flip between. But my computer isn't a touch screen. And I don't want it to try and pretend to be.

Also, kids are creepy. My little brother used to talk about the other man that lives here. THere is no other man that lives here.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Bri, I'm not saying you're wrong. Different users have different experiences. Vista was a very frustrating experience for me. I absolutely refuse to use Word 2k-anything because of the way it handles images.

But I'm used to tablet-style operating systems after 3 years working with an iPad. To me Win8 is highly intuitive and easy to operate.

There are ways (a free one I'm pretty sure) to downgrade from Win8 to Win7 (MS was offering it for free awhile back or so I understand) and there are also ways to get rid of the tiles that you don't like or need and, I am given to understand, ways to force the OS to only open up the basic desktop on startup.

I'm no expert on Win8, but I do explore and do research on anything new I start working with.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Helooooo, hounds.

So, I'm really getting into the new show Bates Motel. Anyone else watching and liking it?

Tonight (as sort of an homage) I'm rewatching the original Psycho. It's been quite a few years. It was one of the first "horror" movies I saw as a kid, when I was...about 9? I think. :idea: And it reminds me that monster/creature movies were not really my first love, as far as horror goes. My roots, my initial interests, were psycho humans. :tongue

I really like the show, the backstories and sidestories. Plus I think who they selected for Norman and Norma are PERFECT. I'm so impressed with Vera Farmiga (who I've always loved). She nails Norma. All the other sequels and remakes left me feeling kind of...meh compared to the original. But the show has really reignited my interest. I hope it continues to please.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Did they make a tv series out of it? :O I'll definitely have to check that out.

Hi, hounds. :hi:

I hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
So, day before yesterday, I'm surfing around FaceBook and discovered a post by a friend of mine (who's played Fire On The Suns before) regarding how AAA game developers (the Big Guys) feel about indy developers. The post linked to a blog article and was very complimentary towards indy's so I posted how another friend of mine had gone from playing FOTS to working for BioWare, specifically on Mass Effect.

Yesterday, my friend from BioWare, Chris L'Etoile, who has now gone on to other things, posted a connection to a YouTube video detailing how the Geth in Mass Effect had gained sentience. He said I might be surprised at just how much FOTS had influenced Mass Effect.

Wow, was he ever right. I really wish I had the hyperlink, but that segment is straight out of FOTS (in FOTS the Machines asked their masters, the ancient Creators, if they, the Machines, had souls and this same thing is said to have happened to the Geth in Mass Effect).

It makes me very proud to have designed something that not only had a little/minimal influence on Mass Effect, but also had an influence, however minmal, on someone else's career.

:)

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Well, Chris L'Etoile was one of the developers and we keep in touch. Other than that I don't know any of them and haven't tried to contact them.

I wouldn't either as I'm not interested in getting a piece of the pie or even a mention. The fact that I know and Chris knows, and now a few other people know, is good enough for me.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Oh, I seriously doubt they'd ever consider someone with virtually no programming experience and very little video game experience.

Besides, I have a job.

Two, actually - and they both involve writing (and my muse is getting ready to fire my butt from the second if I don't get a friggin' move on already with several WIPs).

<'course, I keep the muse amused by keeping her playing in the 4-lane freeway which is my mind while drunk and bundled in chains and duct tape>

Keep rollin' 'round, babe! That's it. Hey, that 18-wheeler barely missed yer haid. Damn, that coulda' been a keeper...

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Found the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGwuhtGIQOg&hd=1

Turns out my friend (and another old player of FOTS) Jason Attard, is also with BioWare these days.

Good to seen another of my old players seeing some success.

Ya' gotta' watch this video. It's straight out of the scenario I designed back in the mid-90s (well, almost - but the machines ask the same question).

Status
Not open for further replies.