Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'm a member. They have a pretty good website and forum if you like talking horror with other authors. They also have meetings at various conventions, so it's fun to put faces with names you see on the shelves. :)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Thanks for the info. I'll investigate a bit further. Looks like it could be worthwhile.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Ellen is indeed a big name - she edits some of the highest regarded books produced in the horror market every year and has done for decades. She's won many awards all over the world and is an authority in the genre.

She's earned her chops and generally knows what she's talking about. I've learned a lot from her over the years.

And no, I'm not an HWA member.

williemeikle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
And you have the wrong one, obviously.

If you don't know who Ellen Datlow is, and you want a career as a horror writer, you should make it your business to find out, not whine about it. Pissing off the top editor in the field is not the way to go about it.

Ellen has done wonders for many new writers careers over the years, getting them high profile publications in anthologies in bookstores all over the world. She puts a lot back into the community and the community, not just the HWA, love her for it. That's probably why people got pissed at you over there -- they're protective of the good folks.

And snide remarks about Joe Hill's appearance don't help your case. When you sell your stories to magazines, do they ask to see your photograph? Not very often. He started out in mags before it became widely known who he was. He wanted it that way.

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
And you have the wrong one, obviously.

If you don't know who Ellen Datlow is, and you want a career as a horror writer, you should make it your business to find out, not whine about it. Pissing off the top editor in the field is not the way to go about it.

Ellen has done wonders for many new writers careers over the years, getting them high profile publications in anthologies in bookstores all over the world. She puts a lot back into the community and the community, not just the HWA, love her for it. That's probably why people got pissed at you over there -- they're protective of the good folks.

And snide remarks about Joe Hill's appearance don't help your case. When you sell your stories to magazines, do they ask to see your photograph? Not very often. He started out in mags before it became widely known who he was. He wanted it that way.

Why so touchy about Joe Hill? I didn't like his work. And it's not "snide" to say he's the spitting image of his father. Let's be real. He is, right down to the shaggy hair and beard. Certainly, if he didn't want the connection made, he'd try to minimalize it. The first time I saw him on Good Morning, America, during his "Heart-Shaped Box" PR tour, I knew right away he was King's son...even before the "big reveal."

Sorry, I don't read anthologies, horror or otherwise. I'm too busy writing. Last time I checked, the HWA isn't just for fiction writers, so I've earned my cred, thank you very much. But, of course, if you piss off a big name--someone I've never heard of--the supporters come after you. Amazing how thin-skinned some people are.

williemeikle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Why so touchy about Joe Hill? I didn't like his work. And it's not "snide" to say he's the spitting image of his father. Let's be real. He is, right down to the shaggy hair and beard. Certainly, if he didn't want the connection made, he'd try to minimalize it. The first time I saw him on Good Morning, America, during his "Heart-Shaped Box" PR tour, I knew right away he was King's son...even before the "big reveal."

Sorry, I don't read anthologies, horror or otherwise. I'm too busy writing. Last time I checked, the HWA isn't just for fiction writers, so I've earned my cred, thank you very much. But, of course, if you piss off a big name--someone I've never heard of--the supporters come after you. Amazing how thin-skinned some people are.

How about the editor of OMNI? As a non-fiction writer, surely they'd be worth knowing about?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yendor1152 will be taking a few days off to study the stickies and learn how to take to heart what is expected of a member of AbsoluteWrite.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Holy cow. I'm not a writer of any kind (which used to be my mantra at the start of all my posts, but I think most people sorta know it by now), and horror isn't a genre I read much of, but I know about Ellen Datlow.

It's just a good idea to know who the top people in a field are. If you are unsure it's easy enough to identify people in an age of Google searches.

I do wonder at the confident assertion that there are no "famous names" in a group when one is unaware of who is actually famous.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
As the lovely Haggis has dealt with the rudeness, we can get back on track. I'd welcome any other thoughts on the HWA if anyone's got some.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
As the lovely Haggis has dealt with the rudeness, we can get back on track. I'd welcome any other thoughts on the HWA if anyone's got some.
*curtsies*

I've got nothing direct for you, seun. It (membership) was one of my long time goals, but I've only qualified for an associate membership. But I do know there are other AW members who belong. Cathy (above) of course. Neurofizz is another, I believe. I'm sure there are more.

WormHeart

Dual class author / nightguard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fromthefrozennorth.com
I'm a member, but I only joined a month ago and have been horrible busy ever since, so I have not yet engaged them in any meaningful way.

It was quite hard to become an active member though, since their rules does not factor in the language. Hence I had to make the same sales in Danish, as I would have made in English to qualify,

(There are only 5.5 million Danes in the world.)

It seems to be a really cool place and I cant wait to become more active. :)

WormHeart

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
The HWA is one of the professional organizations I'd most like to belong to some day when I grow up. Their membership is top notch and some few of them are actually FB friends of mine (including Ellen Datlow I'm pretty sure).

The book they put out "On Writing Horror" is one of the best references, guides, and inspirational books on horror fiction I've ever read. I highly recommend it and the organization as a whole.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
The HWA is one of the professional organizations I'd most like to belong to some day when I grow up. Their membership is top notch and some few of them are actually FB friends of mine (including Ellen Datlow I'm pretty sure).

The book they put out "On Writing Horror" is one of the best references, guides, and inspirational books on horror fiction I've ever read. I highly recommend it and the organization as a whole.
I absolutely agree about their book. It's outstanding. In fact I'm about due for a re-read.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
i also have OWH, and it is good....my only complaint is some older essays they had/have online didn't make the book.

Know nothing of HWA from the inside, but would recommend the book, absolutely.

Orangetober

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I got past all the deleted posts...

Is there anything else that someone should know before joining up? Things to avoid? Things to make sure to do to get the most out of it? This is all new to me!

I have checked out the site a little on my own but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something obvious.

GabrielNovo

Cuban Nomad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gabrielnovo.com
I first encountered HWA when I went to one of their conventions in California. It was my first time going to any sort of writers con and it was an amazing experience. Everyone, from the published to the struggling, was supportive of each other. Not to mention a bar full of authors is a sight to behold.

I became a member several years after that when they re-opened the Supporting category of membership. It gives you all the same access as a regular member (even recommending works for the Stoker Awards), but you can't vote in the actual Stokers.

The people I've met through HWA have been a great influence on my writing. I'd highly recommend trying them out.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, can you be a little more specific about how it's helped you out? Good movie recs sort of helped you out, steered you toward books you should have read sort of helped, kept you in touch with how the market/industry was slanting?

I know, a writer asking for more details. What IS the world coming to, these days?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
kept you in touch with how the market/industry was slanting?

^^^This. Also, you meet other authors and learn about publishers, editors moving from house to house, new markets opening, anthologies seeking stories, etc., etc. The boards are also similar to AW in that you can ask questions like "How can I terrify my character without getting bloody" or "I need my axe-wielding murder to be carrying a battleaxe. Can he chop off heads with one hand?" Gory and other terrible questions are all good there. :D

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
I went to an HWA meeting last night to see if they might be a good fit for me as an organization. Great people. Had a lovely time. There was a mix of aspiring writers and pros--about a dozen of us--and everyone was nice, thoughtful, and contributed to the conversation (i.e., no one was sidelined), which was a good sign to me. We discussed upcoming local events, conventions, markets, open calls for subs, etc.

From what I've seen of it thus far, this is a good group.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else been having problems with the HWA website lately? I keep getting 404 error messages whenever I try out their site. Not the savviest with computers, just seeing if I'm the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.