Follow up on reviewer?

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
I sent the ARC PDF to someone on Goodreads who offered to review it. I haven't heard anything from her. (It's been almost 3 weeks.) I checked her Goodreads profile, and my book is not listed anywhere in her "to read", "currently reading", etc. lists.

Do I wait a couple more weeks and send a follow up email along the lines of, "Hey, just wanted to know if you're read my book yet."

Or do I just let it go? I wasn't sure if requesting books for review, then not reviewing them was common.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
It's very common. I've had readers specifically request my book for review in groups designed for that purpose, but less than 50% ever follow up by reading or reviewing.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alas, it's quite common. Many people seem to use it as a way to get free books. They review only if they liked it enough to finish it--and happened to get to it in a reasonable time.

You're right. People suck, except for AW people and a few others.

Maryn, in her usual bitter mode (not really ;) )

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I had a feeling it was like that. :(

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is common but I try and give benefit if the doubt, maybe something happened in their life, maybe they hated the book and decided not to inflict a bad review on you. Also my reviews from review copies (...checks database) are posted an average of 48 days after receipt. So you may yet see it. In any case, I recommend letting it go but making a note not to send that user any more books.

WEM

Trying to reboot reality ...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
will-moore.uk
3 weeks isn't a long time. I know I'm a slow reader, so that doesn't seem long to me. Also, sending a reminder email might have the opposite effect - could sound pushy.

I'd wait.

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
3 weeks isn't a long time. I know I'm a slow reader, so that doesn't seem long to me. Also, sending a reminder email might have the opposite effect - could sound pushy.

I'd wait.

Yeah, I decided to do anything. If they review it, great. If not, it's not the end of the world. Out of 6 who have it for review, I'm hoping for 2 reviews.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I decided to do anything. If they review it, great. If not, it's not the end of the world. Out of 6 who have it for review, I'm hoping for 2 reviews.

Sounds like a good plan. I think I sent out 10 copies on GR and had 4 actually give a review.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I've received many books off of Goodreads and not once have I managed to review a book within three weeks. You'll looking at 2-6 months on average (I have quite a few reviewer friends). After 6 months, I'd send them a follow-up.

However, it wouldn't be rude to confirm with them that they did receive the book.

Kay

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a book to a certain review site in February, or maybe March at the latest. I just heard that they'll be posting the review in mid-October.

Wow. I was about to give up on the professional review sites I submitted to since I'm nearing the 3 month mark. Guess I need to be more patient.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I was about to give up on the professional review sites I submitted to since I'm nearing the 3 month mark. Guess I need to be more patient.

Unless it is an ARC and you specifically request the review to be posted on release week, then expect a very slow turn around. Usually reviewers will continue accepting review requests until they have a 6 month backlog. There's too many books and too little time. For me, the only time I had books 'skip the line' was if they were from authors I've read previously.

Also, sometimes the reviewer is just not in the mood for your specific book. I've got through reading spurts where all I want to read is sci-fi and the paranormal books just sit on my bookshelf and wait for my reading mood to change.

I'd definitely would follow up after 6 months though.