How to cross refer?

writerinthenorth

Registered
Reaction score
My new book 'As Close As You Are To Me', a psychological mystery, would, I'm sure, appeal to readers of my contemporary thriller '11:59'. When I read the reviews of '11:59' that say things like 'I'd like to read more from this author' it frustrates me that I can't contact them and say, 'Hey, my new book is out now - you'd like this one.' Of course I have my author page on Amazon, but what is the likelihood that someone who wrote a review three years ago would be regularly searching to find out what that guy David Williams might be up to now? Does anyone know a way of flagging up your new book to former enthusiastic reviewers? A particular concern of mine is how this UK-based writer can let my American readers know about the new release. Amazon's own cross-reference algorithms seem a bit hit-and-miss.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Not sure if it'll help you at this point, but it might in the future. Set up a author website and have a link where your readers can sign up for your newsletter. That's how you can contact your readers with your new releases. You can use wordpress to set up a simple website and mailchimp to set up a newsletter. Also, social media can work to let your readers know about your new releases.

I know for me, as a reader, if I find an author I love, I check out their site for other books then I look to see if I can follow them on social media.

Another thing you can do is put a link to your new book at the back of your first book. This is assuming you have an ebook. This will probably be easier if you self published. It won't help past readers of the first book but it'll help future readers of your first book to easily know about your second.

morriss003

Lurking along
Registered
Reaction score
Website
warmhawaiian.wix.com
If it's an ebook be sure to include links to your books and to your author page at the end of the book (Amazon). Also, include your email address. I also include a short piece from another book.

writerinthenorth

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. it's both paperback and ebook with the publisher in control. No links currently but I could speak to them about this.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
You can contact reviewers through Amazon. Go to the review and click on the name of the person who left it. It'll take you to a page of their reviews, which may include an email/website/twitter address (if they've chosen to put it there).

I don't know where you stand with your publisher and review copies, or publicity, but you can either drop reviewers a line yourself and offer them a free copy of your new book or pass suggestions onto your publisher's review coordinator and see what they think. I absolutely would not recommend hitting up random reviewers and asking them to buy your book - that's likely to make them more annoyed at you for spamming - but I'll bet you get takers for free copies! Amazon's algorithms are based mainly on people buying both books, but I think reviewing both books might help as well, and the more reviews the higher profile the book anyway.

writerinthenorth

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll go on the trail and see if some contact details are there.