Building A Solid Platform

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I've been reading up on self-publishing, as I'm still in the starting process of indie authorship. One of the big messages that I keep finding is that building a solid platform before you even publish is one of the keys to succeeding as an indie author. It seems that without at least a Facebook page, A Twitter account, a blog, and a mailing list, it's difficult to have a chance to succeed as an indie author.

Even though I have a few books on self-publishing, so far most of them have mainly said things like "you need to have a presence on Facebook, Twitter, etc." but have not offered really any practical suggestions on how to do it and what to do.

So I'm turning to people here for advice.

Right now, I'm still very early in the process. I have 2 novels that are finished in first draft form and I am now working to revise both of them. I have an action plan for revision, but it's going to take some time.

As for building a platform, I am a little lost on how to do that. I have a Facebook page but I'm a little lost as to how to turn it into a place to draw in potential readers. I think the potential is there, as I use it not just for personal stuff but also for writing-related stuff and belong to several groups that are related to what I write. But I don't know how to target readers rather than writers with it yet.

I also have a Twitter page that relates to what my blog will be like, but I'll admit that I have been neglecting it. It's been very difficult for me to get into Twitter. I love Facebook but I think the severe word limitations of Twitter stump me. I always feel as if I'm not saying anything worth typing because I have so few words to say it. So some advice on how to get more into Twitter and build a readership would be great.

As for a blog, I am in the process of prepping posts for it but I feel more comfortable having a number of posts ready to go before I launch it. That way, I'll be ahead of the game when I do launch it and I'll be able to keep up with writing in it frequently. I've never built a blog before, so I still need to research how to do that (yes, I am a little technically challenged).

As for the email list, I have no idea what to do with that. I don't want an email list that is only about marketing my books. I'd like to offer something a little more, but I'm not sure what to do with that.

As you can see, I'm completely lost! Sorry for sounding so clueless. I am doing my research slowly and reading books on self-publishing, but there are so many books out there that it's tough to separate exactly what is for total beginners like me.

Any help would be so appreciative.

Djuna

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Hi, Djuna,

Welcome. There are some posts on social media here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299348

I just posted there, so I don't want to duplicate it.

Using hashtags on Twitter helps. Hashtag the keyword within the post to save characters, but don't overdo it or it looks like spam.

Use hashtags connected to your genre and interests to connect with people.

Example: #amwriting a Gothic #horror novel, almost finished.

Enjoy Gary Cuba's prophetic #sciencefiction #drabble on Specklit.

I'm hooked on BBC America's #Sherlock.

Check out my #fantasy #drabble: @JoeLansdale has a new book out [...tened up about it, it got easier. Good luck!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Djuna, we have a whole room in which we discuss book promotion: I'll move this thread there, as it's a better fit. There's a great thread in there which I bet you'll find useful:

How to promote your book like an intelligent human being and not an SEO Dweeb

I really don't like the term "indie author". It's nonsensical. You're an author. If you self publish, you're also a publisher. All writers are independent unless they are paid to write by their employer. And "indie publishing" is also troublesome, for all the reasons detailed in our Self Publishing Guidelines room.

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
OK, thank you. I didn't think about it in terms of promotions (I'm still not in marketing mode), so I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum.

I'm also not keen on the term "indie author" either. I prefer self-publisher :).

Djuna

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
Marketing is an extremely difficult process in self-publishing I've learned just recently.

I would definitely agree on using hashtags on Twitter.

Definitely have a blog, and I wouldn't post way too often. Search keywords similar to publishing, and read other blogs and posts that come out. You'll learn a lot, get a lot of advice, and gain followers who are interested in your genre.

Also, with the blog, make banners and widgets of your novel. I found that helps a LOT.

I just recently grasped the importance of beta readers, and unfortunately, I think I'm too late. They'll write reviews on Amazon, and many do it for just the cost of a good read.

Find book reviewers. There are plenty of blogs that do this for free. You just have to fill out a request form and if they accept it, they'll write reviews on their blog, Goodreads, Amazon, Twitter, etc.

These are just a few things I've learned these last few weeks. Good luck!

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Each persons experience is different, so not trying to start a debate, but these are the activities (across eight years) I've tried and how they worked for me. Probably a lot depends on your genre:

Worked - Book sells at large attendance events (festivals), sells at boutiques/shops, participating on forums aligned with your topics, reviews, some newspaper interviews (but not all, depends on their audiences)

Very little ROI - blogs, SE, libraries, ads, contests, newsletters.

There's more but you get the idea. Results will vary for each person yet many author buds and budettes have had similar experiences.