So I wrote a children's book

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
There is a great article over at the purple crayon on the agent question. Google Harold Underdown - he's a former editor and author of the Idiot's Guide to Writing for Children. You may also want to look into the SCBWI if you haven't already. Both of these have great resources.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Do you care if I give my comments? To be honest it's my first time even knowing what how a picture book would be written.:p

But congratulations.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is a great article over at the purple crayon on the agent question. Google Harold Underdown - he's a former editor and author of the Idiot's Guide to Writing for Children. You may also want to look into the SCBWI if you haven't already. Both of these have great resources.
THanks again. Right after I ordered the idiot's guide, hubby asked when it was published and would it still be relevant. it's from 2008. do you think that is current enough?

ETA I'm thinking yes. his site was updated as recently as march and he still links to it. thanks again for the info.

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I know the feeling. Just tried my hand at a young reader book at the advice of my agent. It's a whole different animal. I got the subject matter just perfect but the tone and delivery has to change a bit. There's a certain format that you abide by and I gave it a shot. Ended up with 19 pages--one big paragraph per page. Yeah, and thank God no artwork was required.

Let us know how yours works out.

Tri