Fairy tale picture book ideas

Alidor

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing picture books for a number of fairy tales. I was thinking that they'll be 48 to 64 pages, and probably at least 800 words. These will probably be harder picture books, so I wouldn't recommend them for very young children. I'm thinking about ages 6 to 9 is my target audience. I would prefer to do a fairy tale that isn't well-known to modern children. Which ones do you think are appropriate for kids? Which ones should I avoid? If these stories are inappropriate, what other obscure fairy tales could I use?

Here are a few ideas. I probably will use two or three:
The Bee and the Orange Tree - This is my absolute favorite fairy tale. It's about a princess who is raised by an ogress. She meets her cousin, a prince, when he is shipwrecked there. The two fall in love and later escape on the ogress' camel.
The Imp Prince - It features a prince who can turn invisible with the help of a magic red hat. He falls in love with a fairy princess who he saves the life of.
Princess Rosette - It's about a princess who wants to marry the King of the Peacocks, but gets thrown out to sea so her nurse's daughter can take her place.
The Benevolent Frog - It features a pregnant queen who is stranded in the forest and imprisoned there by a giant fairy clad in a lion skin. She is assisted by a frog who is actually a fairy.
The Iron Stove - It's about a princess who finds a prince trapped in an iron stove by a witch.
Dick Whittington and his Cat - It's probably well-known to British children, but I'm American, and here the story isn't well-known among younger people. Most of the picture books I've found for it are quite old. Will the character's first name be off-putting to parents? (I read the story before I knew that dick was a vulgar term.)
Alphege, or the Green Monkey - It's about a prince turned into a green monkey. (The Wikipedia article is short; the actual story is here: http://www.mythfolklore.net/andrewlang/030.htm)
The Flower Queen's Daughter - a Romanian fairy tale about a prince searching for a beautiful princess who is held captive by a three-headed dragon
The Boy Who Found Fear at Last - a Turkish fairy tale about a boy who goes on an adventure to learn what fear is.
Prince Darling - It's about a prince who is turned into a monster for his cruelty and he must work on being good to regain his human form.

The first four are by Madame d'Aulnoy, The Iron Stove is by the Brothers Grimm, Dick Whittington is an English fairy tale, and the rest are from Andrew Lang's Fairy Books..

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
"imp prince" seems neat
invisibility is something kids would be intrigued by
very much so !

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
48/64 pages is a weird extent; PBs tend to be 32 pages. Making the book that long would make it difficult to sell, at least as a 'picture book'.

I think from that point of view, it's best to either make it a 32pp picture book telling one story, or, say, a 96pp or longer collection of illustrated stories.

I really like the kinds of fairy tale you're discussing here - I think it's great to have some lesser-known ones. The flip side of this is that the market for lesser-known fairy tales is also a bit uncertain. You see books do very well when they're retellings of, say, Snow White or something; they're the sort of thing a bookseller or time-pressed customer can instantly 'get'. But as I say, if the stories are great, that's the main thing.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Suggestion: Try to find as many versions of each story as you can and read some criticism too. This research will help you make the story your own. Check out university libraries.

Also look at picture book retellings in the library. Paul Zelinsky's books are great. Be sure to read any author's notes or other back matter.

There are a few publishers who like fairy tale retellings. They especially want tales that are less familiar or non European. If you can get your story to work in the 32 page format, you'll have an easier time selling it. 40 pages may be okay. Some publishers allow for these books to be longer because of the type of story. In the current market, the page counts you're giving are all chapter books and easy readers.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
I love Princess Rosette! It is one of the best European fairy tales ever.