MaNoWriMo

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Page count so far today: 25 pages of sociology, 90 pages of 1984 - 115 total.

That's much more like it, compared to the weekend! I've got about 50 pages of 1984 left to read, but I think I'll save that for the morning bus journey tomorrow...

So now I need to decide if I want to read some more sociology stuff, or watch an episode of Seinfeld and then head to bed.

ETA: Read another sociology article, though it was only 5 pages. 120 total for the day, and now I shall watch some Seinfeld, I think. :)

Last edited:

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
We were practicing for our Japanese oral performance in class today. We were supposed to invite the person we were practicing with to do something this weekend. I drew a blank and ended up asking my friend if she would eat strawberries with me.

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
And I may be ditching a class tomorrow... First time doing it intentionally (except for the AFI concert back in October... Does not count...). We have a 5-7 page essay due Thursday that's worth 50% of our grade in the class, and I haven't started writing it yet (I HAVE started putting my ideas together and researching... I just haven't done any of the actual writing part). Tomorrow we're supposed to bring in our full first drafts (which I obviously don't have) so we can do peer-critiquing. I don't have time to write a full 5 pages before then (tonight I have to finish my Japanese assignment, and I have to work tomorrow up until class time, so at most I'll have time to research and maybe write a couple of pages), so I think I'm going to spend that time in the library working on making my essay look good by myself. It doesn't really seem worth it to go just to be told the draft I rushed through to get it done on time for class looks shitty. I know it looks shitty. That's why I coat it with comments that detail what I hate about it.

So, yeah. :tongue I hate having my stuff peer-reviewed in general, but I hate it more when I know the feedback is going to be useless because I'm not bringing a real draft to class with me.

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
So, uh... I applied for the apartment I went to view on Friday... And I got it...

I just... I uh...

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the apartment! :D

On my end, I'm going to be busy for the next week working on a creative writing presentation. Basically, we have group presentations to do for weeks 3-6, 1 group per week, and it's week 2 now. So today in our first tutorial, I found out I'd been put into the week 3 group... I'm not that annoyed by it, actually. Yes, it means more stress (short deadline, not having any other groups to look at for ideas of how to do it) but it'll be over quickly, and the lecturer also said that she'll give bonus points to the week 3 group, just because we have no yardstick to measure by. So... Extra marks is fine by me. :)

This will be on 1984, which I finished reading on the bus home this afternoon. I'm the only 1 in my group of 4 who has finished it, though... But at least we'll be marked individually, so as long as *I* do a good job, *I'll* get a good grade...

Anyway, I've got a tonne of reading to do in preparation (secondary sources) which will be done tomorrow, hopefully. It's also a very good thing that I did so much reading in the past 7 days, because I can leave my 2 sociology classes alone for a few days no problem to handle this assignment. :)

So, read 1984 on the bus to Uni, finished it on the bus home, that makes about 50 pages today. Also read 2 chapters of 2 separate books for sociology, making about 35 pages. So I'm sitting at 85 pages for the day...

Getting my AW fix, then getting stuck into the extra readings for 1984 (articles listed in the reader or on the Uni website) and then hopefully hunting down some extra readings to do tomorrow.

Going to try to break 100 pages again today. :)

ETA: Read 2 short readings for creative writing, bringing me to 100 pages for the day. *flop*

Going to watch some youtube stuff to clear my head, then it's off to bed for me.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Read about 15-20 pages of sociology today, as well as perhaps... 20-25 pages of secondary sources for 1984. It's hard to estimate today, because one major reading was on a website and so didn't have pages in the strictest sense.

Anyway, it's probably less than 50 pages read, but none of it was fiction. Going to search for another reading for the 1984 presentation - I'm slowly percolating an idea of what to talk about.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cliff. :) I'm really excited. I'm moving on Sunday. It's weird, but it should be fun.

Mom and I went thrift store shopping today. I got a full-sized computer desk. For $4.49.

That's four dollars and forty-nine cents.

It's a little beat up, but I wanted a desk... And that's about as under-budget as you can get without getting one for free... :tongue

Oh, I also ordered a new TV. :D My old TV is a little 13-inch box of a TV that's over half my age and that from time to time I have been known to use as a doorstop... So I'm getting a nice little 24" one that's far more energy efficient to cut down my electric bill. :)

Ooh! Ooh! The best part... :D So, it's a little one bedroom. I've decided that I'm going to sleep on the futon I got for free from my elementary school's former nurse, so I'm going to be sleeping in the main room on my couch-bed. So I'm turning the little bedroom into my study/library! :D I get to have a library room!!

~Amber~

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the apartment, Amber!

Much editing but very little real writing done lately. On the other hand, I finally blogged about my first session of bread-baking. I don't want to get into trouble for spamming, so I won't link to it here, but there's a link in the "Have You Updated Your Blog Today" thread and you can also access it by clicking on my website link below. Look to your right on the main page and you'll see the "Adventures in Bread Baking" link. I'll be writing Part Two tomorrow.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score

Mom and I went thrift store shopping today. I got a full-sized computer desk. For $4.49.

That's four dollars and forty-nine cents.

Congrats on the new place! Also, yay thrift shop - I'm such a thrift shop addict, but that's a great deal!

Editing hell is my new address...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Read about 18 pages of an article for 1984 today. So, not much reading - BUT I just did a rough outline/draft of what I'll talk about in my presentation! :D

Somewhere during those 18 pages, my argument just clicked into place. So I've got a rough draft thing. I still need to find the requisite quotes again in the articles I read, plus hunt down a "popular quote". You know, a small phrase that you've heard dozens of times but never knew who said it? Yeah. I need one of those. :)

Anyway, I can do that later - right now, I'm taking a break. Meeting up with the presentation group tomorrow afternoon, but at least I'll definitely have something to take with me and discuss with them!

Class was cancelled today, which was GREAT timing, as it meant I had an extra full day to get this stuff sorted. :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Nice, Cliff! :) I love it when I get extra time to sort stuff out. It makes me feel good when I get things done early. :D

I am currently writing a paper that is due tomorrow and that is worth 50% of my grade in that class. I am taking a slightly different approach than usual -- though, obviously, I've put it off until the night before like I usually do, I'm not letting myself sweat over it. I'm just skimming through useful-looking chapters of nearly a dozen books and typing out quotes that look like they'll be useful or could make a good counterargument. Then I'll just put my argument together based on that. :D I'm not worried about getting to bed, and I'm not worrying about getting done in such-and-such amount of time -- as long as I'm still skimming or typing, then I'm fine with what I'm doing. And it WILL get finished. :)

This is my last assignment for the term anyways, so fuck sleep. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. This is my first assignment for the semester, so I don't think I really want to mess with my sleep patterns just yet. :tongue

Anyway - I've found some quotes to use, except for one I wanted to use from the novel itself. I know it's in there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it! Might try Googling to get a bead on which chapter it's in...

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you probably shouldn't mess up your sleep patterns. :tongue I started working on this thing about three hours ago. I have five pages of pretty decent quotes (and some of my commentary on how furious some of them made me... But fury makes good essays ;)), and I only need to have a 5 to 7 page paper. :D And hey, it's not even midnight yet!! :D :D I'm doing better than usual already. :tongue Now I just need to put things in some sort of logical order and figure out what I'm going to say about these quotes... I think I'm making pretty good time. :)

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, I finished my paper and I don't think it sucks. :D (I didn't spend the last 15 hours straight working on it, by the way... I decided to go to bed around 2 this morning, then I woke up at 7 and I started working on it again around 10 am, which was not quite three hours ago. :tongue)

It's due at 5pm, so I'm probably going to wait until after class today to print it just so I can give it one more good editing pass before turning it in. :)

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
*skims paper one more time*

Eh, fuck it. I'm tired of looking at it so I'm printing it. :tongue I need a break.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Don't you want to be a librarian? You should relish the chance to pack books! :D

Okay, so long day today, with no reading done. I had to leave home around 8am, then had a 2-hour lecture, tried to find a library reading for yesterday's topic and it's still not there, tried to find out if the book shop had the book I need to read next for creative writing, and it's still in transit, so I got nothing much done in my break.

Then had a tutorial, not much achieved in there, then off to meet up with my creative writing group to discuss Tuesday's presentation. None of them had even finished reading 1984, so I had to explain it to them... Despite not having read it, they had plenty to say about it, so go figure.

Organised to meet up at 9am on Monday, which means yay, another early start... Anyway, got the bus home and now I'm here, at 5pm. So I was out for probably 8.5 hours and feel like I've gotten very little actually accomplished!

The annoying part was, I could've got a bunch of stuff read - except I've run out of paper readings in my queue, so I couldn't take anything with me. There's 1 reading in the library I need to do, but the book is checked out, and all the readings next in my queue are either online or else it's the novel I'm waiting on delivery for... *sigh*

Anyway! Yes, things and stuff. Not very much actually "done" today, but plenty of ideas are percolating. I have a much better idea of what I need to revise for my part of the presentation, and I'm thinking about something for an assignment for the class I had today.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I can PACK them just fine... It's carrying the large heavy boxes while only weight 80 pounds that I need help with. :tongue I have no muscle whatsoever. >.>

I have managed to pack up the largest shelf. It took about an hour and four large boxes. One down, three to go. :tongue Tomorrow, though. I have to take the 6:30 bus in the morning (hopefully for the last time) and it's midnight right now, so I should probably be heading to bed.

~Amber~

Last edited:

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Don't have the energy to backread right now, but I hope it's all going well for everyone. :)

So, totally off target. A lovely unexpected short break with the other half and I'm in full indecisive form over what to work on. Adjusting my target to spending most my free time every day writing this month and ensure I pick something to stick with next month.

:Headbang:

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I've been away from the boards recently.
Congrats Vampyre on your apartment! Those applications are so tedious! PS: mrsmig, can I please join in on the bread making? Baguette is my favorite! :D

So I'm officially at my half-way mark goal of 30,000 words! My goal was to get this draft up to 60,000 so it is qualified as YA novel-length. It's been a long time coming and finally feels like I am making progress and it is sounding the way I want it to! So yay!

My goal is to get to 60,000 by August, which I think is a reasonable goal for me. I tend to write only a couple days a week and in that time about 1,000 words per day. So that would mean getting in 5,000 words minimum a month. Though it would be nice to get a bigger word count in one month. We'll see what happens.

Also, I think Camp NaNo is coming up soon. Has anyone done it? What's the difference between regular Nano?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
And last year, at least (not sure about this year), you could set your own word count goal. So if November NaNo is 50k for everyone, then Camp NaNo can be whatever goal you want. That's precisely why I did it last year instead of the regular NaNo. I set myself a goal of 20k, and that was much more achievable with everything else that was going on.

ETA: And if I recall correctly, there are 2 Camps per year... I only did 1 last year, though.