Always write a short time span

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed that I tend to write stories that take place all within a few days. Everything happens quickly. Is my pacing off? Or is that normal for a MG book?

How long of a time span do most MG books cover?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It covers however much time it needs to cover. Some books cover only a few days. Others can cover an entire year (Harry Potter).

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Depends partly on the genre. I think a few days is a little short to show real character development though.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
The only time I noticed how long a story took place over was when the narrator mentioned it happened in a week. :p

I don't really think there's a "time limit", so to speak. A story can take place over a hundred years if you want -- all you have to do is skip the boring parts. On the other hand, wasn't there a book that took place over an hour or so, or was that a YA?

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
Tell the story you want to tell, and do it well. Don't worry about artificially contriving a pace to match something you think it should, just tell your story.

For most people, stories (and pacing) will evolve with time.

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
But it feels like an inability, on my part, to write longer spans of time. A lack of skill in some way. I just plotted and timelined my new story and it happens quick, within a week.

Seems like the span of time makes sense for this story. But I don't seem to be able to do it any other way. Any suggestions?

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to write mysteries, even within the fantasy stories. Maybe that's why? Mysteries I've read seem to run shorter time spans.

LieForALiving

Dancing with unicorns.
Registered
Reaction score
I just taught Romeo and Juliet to my 9th graders, and very few people realize that this immense, powerful (and teenage angst filled) story takes place over just a few days, and that R&J fall in love and get married within 12 hours. If Shakespeare was outlining it on a forum, people would probably say he needed to draw it out, allow for more character development... But the rapid pace was what made what happened realistic (the teenagers were being STUPID). I believe all stories should move fast, so you can get lost in the action, but the physical time of it can vary.

I also agree that you shouldn't try and contrive a story to fit a timeline... Just go with whatever timeline fits your story. It's not a lack of skill, it's the TYPE of story you like to tell.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
My novels usually take place over a month or two. I don't think this makes them any better or worse than novels that take place over a few days or an entire year. As others have said, I just use the timeline that works for the story. I create a timeline to make sure all my references to time make sense, but otherwise I don't worry about it.

I want to add that in children's fiction, novels usually take place over a year or less. There aren't very many children's novels that span a decade or more, and I think this is because children's books target a specific age, and aging the main character too much can be a problem. Similarly, if it's a series, shorter time periods can allow you to fit in more books before the character grows up. I can think of exceptions, though.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Some stories need a full year. Some have a much more immediate timespan. Look at some Disney movies to see how a short timespan works just fine. Look at Harry Potter to see how (and why) time jumps work in a longer novel. It just depends on the story you're telling.

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
I think it may work well as a MG mystery series. So, maybe the span is right. I think the characters will develop well. I wrote the first 5k and now I'm redoing it all because I needed to do a better plan and plot. And the villain isn't who I thought it was.

This is my first detailed plotting, very detailed. I'm a plotter by nature, but this is really well planned. It started off as a pantsed book. And didn't work for me. I got lost in the middle.

maybe I'm noticing writing patterns more. The first novel, now trunked, took place in a few days too. My second one was a week. I do think it being a mystery lends well to a shorter book. The stakes are on a tight time line.

The YA book I am thinking about and beginning to work on, will be a longer time span book. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

What do you all tend to do for time spans?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Lol, I guess I have the opposite problem. I'm gearing up to submit a 600 word PB that spans 80 million years.

Wow, I did the math, and that's over 130,000 years per word.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
There's a series of books about Nicholas Flamel, I believe it's YA, at any rate there are like 7 maybe 8 books, and each book takes place in about a day. The books are pretty lengthy too, 400 plus pages. But there's a lot going on, and various char POVs are showcased. Overall I believe the entire series concludes in about a week. So time frame isn't really the issue. It just depends on what's appropriate to the story.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my favorite books take place in a short time span. It's YA, but one of my favorites, Graffiti Moon takes place in one evening. Chapter books almost always take place in a small time period (Ivy & Bean, Clementine, Time Warp Trio, etc.).

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I also tend to have shorter time periods for mysteries. It's generally a faster-paced genre, so I don't see that as a problem.