Picture books to easy readers.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Sorry if the title seemed a little vague.

But in terms of how they are written, what is the main difference between writing a picture book and an easy reader? I heard from several places now a pictures book sometimes has page breaks. It sounds slightly similar to comic scripts.

I seemed to have stumbled on writing easy readers by accident when writing my latest short story. (It's technically middle grade, but it has that sort of easy reader feel. Like a really dark picture book, instead of a normal middle grade.)

But then I may have to take some major rethinking of my plot. (I assume you can't really justify losing wings by amputation, and having robotic ones that speak in verse replacing them, though I could be incorrect.)

I might check it out Neil Gaiman who was mentioned before. Must be the only one who hasn't read him, but I've heard he's a genius. I want to check out that one picture book with the wolf in the wall.

Waldo

Cracked the Story Code
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patrickhwaldron.blogspot.com
Picture books are harder to define and are meant to be read to a child, but that is changing and they are becoming more like easy readers in that they are starting to follow the readability rule. An easy reader should (I use should here) be written for the age level/reading level of the intended reader.

Luckily, an author can fulfill this by just using plain language, simple sentences, and topic focused vocabulary. But, that's the biggest difference, a child should be able to read the book on their own. My 3 year old reads "Is it Bedtime Wibbly Pig?" to me. I read "How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight" to him.

Jennifer Laughran of the Andrea Brown Agency wrote this 3 years ago. I always remember it as agent-word-count-vampire.

http://literaticat.blogspot.com/2011/05/wordcount-dracula.html

And yes, this is business and a product often chooses you. Everything I've done in children's books has had a stumbled into it quality--rather than a set my sights on something and achieved it. As the years go by, the serendipity becomes more planned seeming.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Easy readers are longer, would be the most difference obvious... picture books are 32pp as standard, first readers more in the 96-128pp range. There's a lovely series by Shirley Hughes and Clara Vulliamy, DIXIE O'DAY, which is about 128pp I think.

Format's very different too. Picture books are often in the neighbourhood of 21cmx26cm; easy readers are more likely to be A- or B- format.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Interesting, I didn't know that. I may have to look at a rewrite then.:p

The shortness is definitely a format to get used to.:/

Edit: That was the hardest thing I've ever rewrote, I might take a coffee break to rest my brain.:p

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Easy readers are longer, would be the most difference obvious... picture books are 32pp as standard, first readers more in the 96-128pp range. There's a lovely series by Shirley Hughes and Clara Vulliamy, DIXIE O'DAY, which is about 128pp I think.

Easy readers vary in length according to the reading level. There are four page easy readers as well as the longer ones. The best place to learn about them is in the book store or library. Many publishers have their own Easy Reader series.

It is easy to mistake some chapter book series for easy readers. However, easy readers have controlled vocabulary and sentence structures to improve readability for the child learning to read. Many of the works by Dr. Seuss are Easy Readers.

Please look at the books in each age/reading level to gain a better understanding. Also note they are often produced by packagers or in house as they may be about licensed characters.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I actually just rewrote the one I've been working on. I think it might be a little short though. The way I wrote it, it turned out as eight pages. (Sort of like what you might send to a magazine.)