Unorthodox writing methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Did you catch the results of a study released this morning. It said they found that inactivity is more dangerous, and carried a much higher risk of death, than obesity.

This should probably be posted above every writer's computer.

This is why I jump up and down and swear and throw things around the room a lot.

caw

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
This is why I jump up and down and swear and throw things around the room a lot.

caw

I tried that. My wife responded by jumping up and down on me, and then throwing me around the room a lot. The cats helped her.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I can only write well in the dark hours, for some reason my daylight writing is awful. Does anyone else have this issue?

I'm a night person too. Some of it is because there are fewer distractions once my husband has gone to bed and the internet has becoming relatively boring. But I also have trouble really getting into my writing when I know there's a definite time limit or that some other task I still need to do is hanging over me. I know some people get up early and write before their kids wake up or they have to go to work, but for me, knowing that I HAVE to get this scene right within the next 30 minutes, or I'll be late to work, tends to shut me down.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I'm doing my best to switch to the computer for first drafts because of my old hands, but I still write at least half of my first drafts on paper, too.

I broke a wrist last year, which was a nuisance, but it resulted in my learning to use Dragon. Now I'm addicted. Especially useful for people who write first drafts on paper, because transcribing them to the computer is tedious. It takes a fraction of the time to simply read them aloud...plus you get the advantage of hearing the material read aloud, which reveals a lot of faults.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I broke a wrist last year, which was a nuisance, but it resulted in my learning to use Dragon. Now I'm addicted. Especially useful for people who write first drafts on paper, because transcribing them to the computer is tedious. It takes a fraction of the time to simply read them aloud...plus you get the advantage of hearing the material read aloud, which reveals a lot of faults.

I've had Dragon for years, but I can't write fiction with it. I've tried numerous times, but the moment I turn it on, I can't think of anything to say.

But I always liked transcribing because, for me, it's like doing an extra mini-draft. I rewrite/revise/edit each page as I write it until it's as perfect as I can make it. Only then do I move on to the next page. I do the same thing when I transcribe. I make minor changes whenever I see the chance, so it's a final mini-polish. I can't make this work with Dragon.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, at the risk of summoning the men in white coats carrying a straight jacket —

I have this vent figure. He's actually a character in my current WIP.

I'm writing very light-hearted (I hope humorous) MG, and sometimes I get bogged down wanting to be all "deep" and "writerly". When that happens, I pull Humperdinck out of his box, and have a little silent "collaboration".

Now, obviously, his thoughts are my thoughts, but just looking at him sitting on my lap, giving me some serious side-eye when I'm getting too "stuffy" changes my entire outlook.

Would I recommend that others get a doll as a crit partner? Umm, probably not, but it helps me immensely.

And if anyone ever calls me out on this, I will insist that some evil person highjacked my account and spread this vicious lie about me! :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, at the risk of summoning the men in white coats carrying a straight jacket —

I have this vent figure. He's actually a character in my current WIP.

I'm writing very light-hearted (I hope humorous) MG, and sometimes I get bogged down wanting to be all "deep" and "writerly". When that happens, I pull Humperdinck out of his box, and have a little silent "collaboration".

Now, obviously, his thoughts are my thoughts, but just looking at him sitting on my lap, giving me some serious side-eye when I'm getting too "stuffy" changes my entire outlook.

Would I recommend that others get a doll as a crit partner? Umm, probably not, but it helps me immensely.

And if anyone ever calls me out on this, I will insist that some evil person highjacked my account and spread this vicious lie about me! :D

Weeeelllll, I wasn't going to mention it, but I have this foot tall leprechaun. He usually sits right above my writing desk, not far from the Dreamcatcher, though I just noticed he isn't there right now. Don't know where he went this time. He doesn't get along with the cats, and they take turns playing tricks on each other. He also has the tooth and claw marks to show for some of the scraps they get into.

Anyway, we have our little chats, and he's always helpful.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing my best to switch to the computer for first drafts because of my old hands, but I still write at least half of my first drafts on paper, too.

Sums up my process, too. Except that I'm not convinced the computer is any easier on my hands than pen and paper. I do find that inputting my scrawly longhand from yellow legal pad to word-processor provides a valuable first editing pass. And I learn new words. Did you know that flom(^sswm is a word?

caw

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
I keep my phone by my bed and I often cant sleep until I jot ideas down. Mind you, its all in cryptic text because I'm half asleep when I write it and have no idea what I wrote when i try to decipher it the next day.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sums up my process, too. Except that I'm not convinced the computer is any easier on my hands than pen and paper. I do find that inputting my scrawly longhand from yellow legal pad to word-processor provides a valuable first editing pass. And I learn new words. Did you know that flom(^sswm is a word?

caw

flom(^sswm ? I did not know that!

I'm starting to worry a bit that a computer isn't any easier on the hands, too, but I have to type it all in, anyway, and I can "cheat" by changing my typing stye and hand position, something I can't do with a pen.

I don't know. The jury is still out.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Write drunk, edit sober.

Sober? I had to look this word up in my dictionary. It should be lumped in with all the other fantasy words like "dragon" and "witch". I still don't believe it's a real thing

Status
Not open for further replies.