Discovered that my book shares its title with a band. Would you reach out to them if it were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I have titled my own work, I've always checked Amazon to see how many, if any, books there are with that title - and if there are, how long ago did they come out. I also Google it to see what's out there with those words attached to it.

In the case of Monday's Lie, I didn't come up with that title. My agent did after a weeks' long brainstorm with my editor and me. For some reason, this was a tough one to put a name on.

Monday's Lie was approved in the 11th hour of the deadline to get the title into the catalog material and I didn't think to look it up. (With all of my own suggestions, I checked them before I shared them.)

It's not at all upsetting to me, but I was amazed to discover (after it was too late to suggest anything else) that there is a currently active band with the same name. Crazy. There's no problem, and it's kind of fun toying around with the idea of contacting them with a "Ha ha, look we've got the same name!" just to see what comes of it.

Would you do that if you were me?

honestly, don't do anything like that without checking in with your publisher/agent. things like this have the potential to get one legally entangled. even if that's a remote possibility, you don't want to take that on yourself. so again, check in first. my two.

Huh? How could that have legal ramifications?

It could have legal ramifications if the band's name is copyrighted.

Case in point:

When Bill Lawson decided to name his Burnaby metal shop Metallica Manufacturing, he had no idea it would lead to years of legal headaches involving the heavy metal band with the same name.

"It was a very innocent choosing of such a name from a 12-year-old kid," Lawson said, amidst the loud clanging in his Burnaby metal shop.

According to Lawson, the company chose the name in the late 1990s, when the bookkeeper's young niece suggested the name Metallica. The heavy metal band with the same name was already around at that point, but "Metallica" seemed fitting for the Burnaby shop, which does custom metal work. The shop operated under the name for four or five years, Lawson said, but the legal troubles started when they tried to register a domain name online. That's when the band's lawyers started lobbying the shop to change its name.

"They just didn't want us to use the name," Lawson said.After several years of this, Metallica (the metal shop) filed a trademark application for the word Metallica on Aug. 9, 2008, seeking to use the name with the following services: custom metal fabrications, welding and machining.

On July 9, 2009, Metallica (the band) started an opposition proceeding in the Canadian Intellectual Property Office, in an attempt to stop the metal shop from registering its Canadian trademark on multiple grounds - mainly that the name would be confused with the band's trademark. According to Dean Palmer IP Law, the firm representing Lawson, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office reviewed evidence from both sides and concluded that there was no likelihood of confusion between trademarks for the metal shop and the metal band. More than three years later, on Sept. 25, 2012, the office rejected the band's opposition, leaving Metallica, the local shop, free to continue pursuing its trademark application.

A music band can protect its copyright as Metallica's FAQ's makes clear on its website.

This leads me to believe if you wanted to call your book "Chicago" the band isn't going to sic its attorneys on you with a cease-and-desist order, but if you're writing a sword and sorcery novel about a warrior woman clad in armor named "Metallica" you're gonna hear about it.

When in doubt, check it out. :poke:

Status
Not open for further replies.