Unorthodox writing methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm sure many of us as well as the greats have odd or unusual techniques during the process of their writing. What do you do that's weird?

For me, it's having a notebook under the bed with a pencil marking where I am at the page, so I know where the empty space is. This is because I often get ideas while trying to go to sleep, and it is dark in the room. As I mull over my ideas, a spark of inspiration, a tidbit of dialogue, or perhaps a scenario to set the stage is secreted from my mind. Then I reach for the notebook and write, my arm draped over the mattress, pressing, veins in my arm and head becoming pressurized, before I flop back in relief. It is worse when I am turned the other way, as my laziness tells me not to turn all the way around. Sometimes, I sit up and write in the darkness, because relatively longer bits need to be written. I wonder what my brother, lying on top of the bunk bed, thinks as I scratch away. But he never says anything. I wonder if my letters are too close together, or if the writing is slanting too much downwards, or if it will be legible when I wake up in the morning, because it often takes me a while of scrutinizing before I understand what I've written. And, despite my mind being fuzzy at the time, I remind myself to elaborate, because a few words when read in a clear state of mind are not enough to remind me of the profundity of, say, "snow pigeon" while lucid, a lesson I learned after failing to unlock its secrets after I had created it. Alas, my longing still has not abated.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
when I really, really need to crank out the words, I go to a buffet and write and eat at the same time.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
when I really, really need to crank out the words, I go to a buffet and write and eat at the same time.

This is an awesome idea.

I tend to write when small children are asleep. or in the car. Or during the daytime when my daughter is at school I like to sit on top of my bed with tea and snacks and the fur babies and write. I find that taking myself away from my 'usual' writing places (and turning the wifi off) tends to make me more productive.

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
I do the notepad by the bed thing too for ideas, brilliant wonderful ideas that would otherwise keep me tossing and turning all night.

Then at writing time next day, I check the notebook and invariably discover that the brilliant idea wasn't worth much--but at least I'm well rested.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I keep my phone near my bed because that's where I put my alarm, and will punch in just-before-bed ideas there. I end up with things like "Don't mind him. He's just cranky because he was told he's going to need a new liver." and "The DMCA takedown notice of the moon." Which are still actually totally 100% brilliant now that I'm lucid and I'm still totally going to use.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I do anything weird. I do wear a cowboy hat. cowboy boots, and a cowboy belt buckle when writing a western. I do wear a deerslayer cap and smoke a Churchwarden pipe, which was actually Sherlock Homes' favorite, when writing mysteries.

But there's nothing weird about that, is there?

MagicWriter

Attack of the Hurricane Turtles!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I do anything weird. I do wear a cowboy hat. cowboy boots, and a cowboy belt buckle when writing a western. I do wear a deerslayer cap and smoke a Churchwarden pipe, which was actually Sherlock Homes' favorite, when writing mysteries.

But there's nothing weird about that, is there?

Ok, someone has to ask...do we want to know what you wear when writing about princesses, ballerinas, pole dancers? :flag:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, dressing to fit the genre is adorable.

There was some guy on here or another board (I don't remember now) who was very well published, and he said he'd just kinda go bonkers. Zoom around the house, do flips, beat on the furniture, like that. Once he got all wound up and crazy, his writing was very imaginative and sharp. Haven't seen him around in a while, come to think of it. Maybe he got carted off. :p

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, dressing to fit the genre is adorable.

There was some guy on here or another board (I don't remember now) who was very well published, and he said he'd just kinda go bonkers. Zoom around the house, do flips, beat on the furniture, like that. Once he got all wound up and crazy, his writing was very imaginative and sharp. Haven't seen him around in a while, come to think of it. Maybe he got carted off. :p

I've never gone quite that far, but once upon a time, not long after I started writing, I had a story that frustrated me to death, that absolutely would not come out right. I suspect every writer runs into such a story.

I'm not sure every writer grabs a baseball bat and beats a perfectly innocent manual typewriter to death because of it. I've done nothing like that before or since, but committing that one typewriter homicide felt remarkably good.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I do anything unorthodox. Though I do tend to write on the couch with the family while the TV is on.

I have jotted down entire passages in the middle of the night. I had a really good start to a novel in which I'm not stuck. But then I'm stuck in general right now. Writing-wise.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to the same song that has nothing to do with the book on repeat (do I do by stevie wonder) so that I can keep track of time and kind of Freud myself into writing when I hear the song. I dint think it's super crazy shit in walls wild but it's enough to annoy some roommates

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I face away from the computer and type with my hands behind my back.

While wearing a pirate hat.

MagicWriter

Attack of the Hurricane Turtles!
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to the same song that has nothing to do with the book on repeat (do I do by stevie wonder) so that I can keep track of time and kind of Freud myself into writing when I hear the song. I dint think it's super crazy shit in walls wild but it's enough to annoy some roommates

This^^^
Song changes with the WIP, but I'll play it on repeat until the story is sent out...oh, and x2 on its annoyance to others as well, they'll live.

Sedjet

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I write better at night too. I also keep a notebook by the bed for ideas that keep me awake. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop me thinking about them.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I keep a pen and notebook in my bed with me, just in case I get an idea in the middle of the night when I wake up to turn over. That's about as strange as I get, besides listening to music that has absolutely nothing to do with the story I'm writing and working best either right after waking up or at night.

Last edited:

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Mostly I tend to meditate, or sleep allot if you will. Especially these days, where I use whatever I'm inspired by and jotting it down in a notebook. Then refining it.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm boring when it comes to this. Most of my writing is done on my desktop. I sometimes scribble ideas on paper as they come to me.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I thought of something else that I do which I find a bit odd.

If I find a movie I really love, and this movie has to be contemporary for some reason, I have the movie on in the backround while writing. Listening to the movie gets me using my subconcious brain more than my concious one, and the story feels like it writes itself. Doesn't sound all that weird now that I really think about it, but it feels weird to me and that's what matters as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I write first drafts in pen. On lined paper.

I'm doing my best to switch to the computer for first drafts because of my old hands, but I still write at least half of my first drafts on paper, too.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Mine is not as unorthodox as some may think. I write all my novels in 72hrs. But it's at an annual 72hr novel writing marathon where I do the same thing with 30-40 other writers. (-: We raise funds for literacy and write full novels over the course of one crazy weekend.

Then, I sit on my ass for 362 days a year. I'm so lazy!

http://www.muskokanovelmarathon.com/

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is not as unorthodox as some may think. I write all my novels in 72hrs. But it's at an annual 72hr novel writing marathon where I do the same thing with 30-40 other writers. (-: We raise funds for literacy and write full novels over the course of one crazy weekend.

Then, I sit on my ass for 362 days a year. I'm so lazy!

http://www.muskokanovelmarathon.com/

Did you catch the results of a study released this morning. It said they found that inactivity is more dangerous, and carried a much higher risk of death, than obesity.

This should probably be posted above every writer's computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.