Discovered that my book shares its title with a band. Would you reach out to them if it were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Whenever I have titled my own work, I've always checked Amazon to see how many, if any, books there are with that title - and if there are, how long ago did they come out. I also Google it to see what's out there with those words attached to it.

In the case of Monday's Lie, I didn't come up with that title. My agent did after a weeks' long brainstorm with my editor and me. For some reason, this was a tough one to put a name on.

Monday's Lie was approved in the 11th hour of the deadline to get the title into the catalog material and I didn't think to look it up. (With all of my own suggestions, I checked them before I shared them.)

It's not at all upsetting to me, but I was amazed to discover (after it was too late to suggest anything else) that there is a currently active band with the same name. Crazy. There's no problem, and it's kind of fun toying around with the idea of contacting them with a "Ha ha, look we've got the same name!" just to see what comes of it.

Would you do that if you were me?

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I have the same name as a famous fictional murder victim and a metal rock band. I love it.

Really, given the number of available combinations, plus shared contextual clues behind many 'quote' names, it's a wonder more English-language titles aren't shared with something else.

I'd laugh about it and move on, or find a way to make bank on it.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh, I'm not upset about it at all! I'm just amazed, because it's kind of a weird name - for a book and a band. Lol!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'd have a listen or five to their music. Might not be something I'd want to associate my book with. It did happen to me once that I had a book that turned out to have the same title as a song by a singer/songwriter type in NY. It was actually a pretty decent tune if I recall. No, I didn't contact him. Could be a fun/interesting way to get some attention though, for both of you. In a sense, why not?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd find out how many were in the band and send free copies for them all. Unless they've registered their name as a trademark, the duplication means nothing and might well amuse them.

Maryn, hoping it's not one of those 22-piece bands

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really dig Monday's Lie as a title! I hope it's all cool; have to give the band credit for having the name.

My wife and her business partner had the same thing happen - but with a wine company. They give bottles to clients at special occasions, and they served it at their office opening. It's turned out to be a fun thing (fortunately, the wine is apparently rather good).

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Doesn't make a difference. An obscure band isn't even on the radar. So don't waste any further time on this non-issue. G'luck with the release. Sure it'll do fine !

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, considering how many books are out there with identical titles, having the same title as some band wouldn't phase me. (Cool title, regardless :))

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, considering how many books are out there with identical titles, having the same title as some band wouldn't phase me. (Cool title, regardless :))

I'll go adjust the thread title and the OP, because I want to make sure it's clear that I'm not upset or worried about the two things having the same name. (I am a little amazed, though.)

I just wondered if you guys would be tempted to step up onto the common ground to say hi, just to see what happened.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
honestly, don't do anything like that without checking in with your publisher/agent. things like this have the potential to get one legally entangled. even if that's a remote possibility, you don't want to take that on yourself. so again, check in first. my two.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
honestly, don't do anything like that without checking in with your publisher/agent. things like this have the potential to get one legally entangled. even if that's a remote possibility, you don't want to take that on yourself. so again, check in first. my two.

Huh? How could that have legal ramifications?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Listen to their music and see if you like it. As long as there are no warning signs that they are dangerous weirdos or something, I think the idea of giving each band member a copy of your book is pretty cool.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
There are at least 4 other books with the same name as mine

As long as they are easily told apart, no probs

The example I remember is from 20+ years ago, when the same publisher in the same year published two novels by different authors called Beauty. One was a sex-and-shopping glitz saga, the other a horror novel, so hopefully reasonably easy to tell apart!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
In 2013, Kate Atkinson and Jill McCorkle both put out a book with the title Life After Life - released within a month of each other. Now that was confusing.

I'm not worried that the band and the book will somehow be confused as linked and it's not my kind of music now that I've listened to them, but it would be fun to chat with them about how their name came to be and to know if they think it's as funny as I do that conversations and brain-wracking for two entirely separate processes and products came up with putting the same two words together - Monday's Lie. It tickles me.

If it were a common phrase or even something like "blue bicycle" - two words that are more naturally expected to sit together - it would be less glitch-in-the-Matrix-y for me.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't reach out. Right now, your book does not have the same name as the band because there is no connection. You're on perfectly safe legal ground. But if you reach out, you're saying there is a connection, that it is the same name, and that's inviting trouble.

With this title, you also have the chance to write six more books using the same character, if you like.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Listen to their music and see if you like it. As long as there are no warning signs that they are dangerous weirdos or something, I think the idea of giving each band member a copy of your book is pretty cool.
I like this idea, too. Include a note that says something along the lines of, "Look! We're twins!".

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
My personal choice is always to change the title. There are an untold number of good titles for any book, and why would anyone want a book with the same titles as other books, or with the name of some band?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My personal choice is always to change the title. There are an untold number of good titles for any book, and why would anyone want a book with the same titles as other books, or with the name of some band?

I didn't get a chance! I didn't come up with this title. My agent did. Everybody liked it, so we went with it. I always double check my suggestions on Amazon and Google, but this title got plucked up at the eleventh hour for the catalog deadline and I didn't think to look it up until after it was a done deal.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Keep the title, but don't contact the band, is my suggestion.

I realize you think it's a neat and amusing coincidence, but they may not. People frequently get irrationally protective of names, titles, whatever. (witness the wars over baby names!)

And I don't think they're going to be pleased and amused, I think they're more likely to think "Great, somebody else cluttering up the search results and writing us to brag about it."

This is one of those risk-benefit analysis moments where the WORST scenario is quite bad--legal threats, cease and desists, possible court costs if any of the band members are litigious and protective of their name--and the likely scenario is apathy shaded with mild annoyance.

Comparatively, the BEST scenario is...what? You get an email from a band saying "Ha, weird."

I don't see anything you're going to gain from this and potentially a lot of unpleasantness.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, the consensus is that I shouldn't. I see what you guys are saying. Thanks for thinking out cyberloud with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.