co-writers in different countries

Kippur

The Parakeet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eragon-sporkings.wikispaces.com
My co-writer and I are in different countries. I'm in the United States and she's in Canada. Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere that will tell me if this will cause any problems with things like signing with an agent or a publisher?

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
I can't point you in the direction of anything, but I don't know what "problems" it will cause.

You two should have a contract outlining your agreement as co-authors. You'll need to talk to a lawyer about that - I *imagine* the contract would be drawn up under either of your jurisdictions and state it is binding for worldwide rights (or something) but IANAL and have never had an occasion for such a thing.

Anybody from any country can sign a contract in another country. There's always a bit which says something to the effect of "by signing this I agree to be bound by the laws and ordinances of Narnia". In the event of a problem, you resolve it in the appropriate country.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm Canadian with a co-writer in USA. I think we're hoping to find a home for our novel eventually. As long as you both agree on the contract and sign said contract, I can't see that there would be a problem. I don't think it matters that you're in different countries at all. I have an American agent, and a contract for one book in Canada and another in USA.