Need Some Advice

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Toothpaste - Everything you said makes perfect sense. It does seem a rather long time. I guess I just feel very vulnerable. The chances of the book getting published feel so precarious...

Even more so when your agent is holding up the process. You shouldn't feel precarious in your relationship with your agent, nor about your book being published. Not at this stage. You are waiting on thoughts from your agent, not editor. If this was an editor who had your work and you were waiting to hear back that would be entirely different. But this is your teammate. This is someone who is refusing to pass you the ball even though you have a clear shot at the net.

At any rate, I'm glad you have some idea of when she'll be getting back to you, but if she starts putting things off into the new year I hope you take the reigns and have a real conversation with her. She should not be holding up these opportunities for you.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
I think you should feel completely comfortable nudging and asking for a definite timeline.

You can do this by phone or e-mail, but I would ask a concrete question that requires a concrete answer, for example: Do you think we can have the manuscript ready for Editor X by the beginning of February?

I don't think you need to couch it in writerly insecurity at all. It sounds like you have a good working relationship with your agent, and, if you approach the timing issue professionally, you should feel free to give input or ask questions about when she plans to approach the editor. She may very well have a reason for waiting - maybe said editor is out of the office or on maternity leave or something that makes timing less important - but you won't know unless you ask. Try not to be intimidated! Remember that it's a mutually beneficial business relationship. Good luck!

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
Oops! Just saw that you got a response from your agent. Good luck with the submission! And don't be nervous about checking in and nudging if things seem to drag.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't responded till now guys, been busy. Hope everyone's been having great holidays. Graz, that's what I'm thinking. Would be great to start the new year off with a book contract... :) I know, I know, I dream...

Aruna, it's definitely good to have a concrete date. Thanks very much, appreciate your support.

wheelwriter, you've been rooting for a while. I'm starting to wonder if maybe you should've bet on a different horse, ha.

Toothpaste, I agree with you. Hopefully I'll hear back in early Jan and we can get the ball rolling... Thanks very much for taking the time to give me your thoughts, I really appreciate it.

Trickywoo - Thanks for your advice, no need to apologize. I really appreciate you taking the time to read through my epic-length post. I'll try not to be nervous, ha. I just really dislike any kind of confrontation, lol.

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Heard back from agent! Seems like she thinks it was a solid revision, and that the book is stronger for it! She wants me to do a little clean-up work, mostly minor stuff, but once that's done, we'll hopefully be out on sub again. I'm glad I was patient and am so relieved to have this off my chest/know she's still interested in working with me. Thanks for all the advice and support guys, you're great.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score