"The Call" and the week

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I've had very big-name agents say (at conventions and workshops) that if they haven't managed to read a writer's full or partial yet, a one-week deadline isn't going to help. They'll thank the writer for notifying them of the offer, and automatically pass most of the time.

Not to say that politeness doesn't matter. But it might not spur a bidding war.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I've had very big-name agents say (at conventions and workshops) that if they haven't managed to read a writer's full or partial yet, a one-week deadline isn't going to help. They'll thank the writer for notifying them of the offer, and automatically pass most of the time.

Not to say that politeness doesn't matter. But it might not spur a bidding war.

What it will make me do is, LOOK AT IT. I mean, most of the time I haven't even gotten to take a peek at it yet, it's still in the queue. And I'll be able to tell pretty darn quick if it is something I am acutally going to be interested in following up on - most of the time, not, so I'll just pass and good wishes to them. But who knows, maybe it really is exactly what I'm looking for! In that case I will read as quickly as possible, and certainly within a week.

johanniter

Registered
Reaction score
All of this actually brings me to ask: if an agent wants to offer representation, does he/she make that offer via email (assuming email has been the medium of all querying, submissions, etc.)? Or do agents actually pick up the phone for that one?

Unfortunately, I have no personal experience to answer this question.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Many agents prefer to call. They want to get an honest feel for the writer's personality, goals, and passion. Since this is a dual job interview, it's best that both parties know what they're getting into - something that may not be so apparent from emails.

johanniter

Registered
Reaction score
Many agents prefer to call. They want to get an honest feel for the writer's personality, goals, and passion. Since this is a dual job interview, it's best that both parties know what they're getting into - something that may not be so apparent from emails.

Probably a good reason to have a professional message on one's answering machine/voicemail... :)