Welcome, Lurkers!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pleasure to have you here, Alathea. We're just regular people who write about sexual stuff. Most of us aren't even all that scary.

Maryn, notable exception

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With real eggs! Oh, no, wait. (My cholesterol!) Ben-wa eggs, then.

Maryn, who hasn't heard of anybody using them in ages

jerriecan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm brand new here at AW, but I've been writing off and of (mostly off) for years. I've even dipped into erotica a few times, though it's been years since I tried my hand at it.

Who knows - maybe I can start up again.

And Maryn, I love your sig line. :)

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful! A new guy to pick on er, make that support with all our best efforts! Welcome to our world. :evil

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One more welcome, if there's room in there.

Like quite a few of the erotica writers here, I was writing other genres and got waylaid so thoroughly that this has become my main genre. Which is fine, because I enjoy it.

Maryn, shaking hands

byfar

Banned
Reaction score

I'd like to do some art that arouses sexual desire. Erotica immediately comes to mind. Now I was told by some people about explicit material and drawing a line.

What exactly that means and how it relates to the works of De Sade?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Are you talking about visual arts, or erotic writing? By 'drawing the line' do you refer to societal, market-driven, or self-imposed limits on sexual content?

Everybody's kinks are different. I've done some heavy research into de Sade and Masoch, for non-kink purposes, so I don't tend to find them arousing at all. (Cringe-worthy, sometimes, and even laughable.)

As an artist as well as a writer, I find I'm attracted to visual works that show artistic merit as well as hard-core details. And in some cases, less detail is more: an image of someone's face *in extremis* can be much more glorious than an image focusing on just penetration.

If you plan to do art for a specific erotic market, first read and understand their guidelines and limits.

Here's a great site to see how other artists have addressed the genre over the centuries:

http://eroticarta2z.com

Good luck!

byfar

Banned
Reaction score
Are you talking about visual arts, or erotic writing? By 'drawing the line' do you refer to societal, market-driven, or self-imposed limits on sexual content?

Everybody's kinks are different. I've done some heavy research into de Sade and Masoch, for non-kink purposes, so I don't tend to find them arousing at all. (Cringe-worthy, sometimes, and even laughable.)

As an artist as well as a writer, I find I'm attracted to visual works that show artistic merit as well as hard-core details. And in some cases, less detail is more: an image of someone's face *in extremis* can be much more glorious than an image focusing on just penetration.

If you plan to do art for a specific erotic market, first read and understand their guidelines and limits.

Here's a great site to see how other artists have addressed the genre over the centuries:

http://eroticarta2z.com

Good luck!

Erotica A 2 Z is really a great site to visit as I did.

I just read this article
Parents' shock as quiet English teacher turns out to be racy erotica author Judy Mays(click)
and it appears that writing Erotica is condemned to unjust scrutiny especially if you have the second job in public education or the like.

A group of high school parents have complained to their local education board after discovering a quiet English teacher writes racy, erotic novels when she's not working with their children.
I am having second thoughts about it. It appears that Erotica lovers (writers, artists…)are immoral creatures.

People are so weird!

p.s.
Nonetheless if it is not safe to write I hope it is safe to read. I need some good suggestions on what to read.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
byfar, if you do a search, Ms. Mays career development was discussed at length somewhere here at AW. Probably Politics and Current Events (P&CE) but possibly Office Party.

While I don't agree, I can understand where the parents are coming from when they don't want someone who writes sexually explicit material working with their kids. If memory serves, there was a similar firing of an attorney with a prestigious firm, also writing and publishing erotica in her personal time.

If their contracts were typical, this was probably a violation of the morals clause, or could be interpreted as such by those with the authority to terminate the contract.

Maryn, not saying they should, just that they can

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It's the one big reason to have a pen name. But not a good enough reason to keep you from writing in the genre. In my limited experience, such fears are often just a writer's displacement activity, covering more relevant concerns about writing ability and story quality. We all have these - even writers who've been at it for years have false starts and qualms.

Don't be afraid, just write and see where it takes you. You are a ways yet from having to worry about pen names and markets.

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
I am having second thoughts about it. It appears that Erotica lovers (writers, artists…)are immoral creatures.

There are people of all walks of life who enjoy all types of things and could be considered amoral or immoral. I'm not sure how much sarcasm was dosed in this sentance, but you know, just making sure.

txblush

Registered
Reaction score
:sarcasmHi jerrican. I like your location. Is that a state? or an island? Is there more than one? I think I may have visited the place once, but now I live on Acceptance Road.

Sorry people, I just couldn't help myself there.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Newbie checking in.

Great resources here. Just starting out at as a wannabe novelist and I want to be published mainstream. I also happen to have a filthy imagination and write erotica for practice and fun, so when it dawned on me that I could polish up the smut and maybe make some extra money I decided to do some research, and thats what brought me here.

I have much to learn, but I've picked up loads just from lurking here for the last month.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Rhoda is lurking and has been for many months now. Just making it official. :)

(I hate writing sex scenes, but many of my WIPs seem to wind up with them. They tend to give me a mental block that wrecks the progress of the entire story. Need to get past that somehow.)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hi, Rhoda!

I had that problem, about 2 decades ago. Set myself some writing challenges, as well as reading great erotica in many genres. The most important thing I learned? 'Tab A into Slot B' may be hot, but really searing romance/erotica has even more of an emotional resonance. For me, the sex should be a side effect of what's really going on inside the character's heads.

Just my take.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

Oddly, the emotional part of it is where I seem to get stuck. Which is to say, I agree, but I have some work to do.

Morven

Child of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
I guess, since I've posted here a few times today, I should say a formal "Hello", and that kind of thing. I created an account a year or so ago but didn't say much -- didn't realize there was that much of an erotica community here.

I'm Matt, I'm a 39 year old Englishman living in California. And quite the perv, it appears. It also appears that this will make its presence felt in almost everything I write whether I intended it or not, so I may as well embrace that nature.

I mostly, but not exclusively, dabble in the speculative fiction waters -- especially non-traditional, non-medieval fantasy and the softer, more human side of science fiction.

I'm one of the forum moderators at TV Tropes, in case any of you guys have your time stolen by that site.

sparnols

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, another newbie here tying to earn my wings. Although I do not write erotica, I have just finished my first paranormal romance which might have scenes that can be seen as crossing a fine lie between the two. Reserching guidelines on that one. Anyways thought I would stop lurking and say hello.

TheaBlowsKisses

steaming up the e-readers
Registered
Reaction score
*plops into what now appears to be the n00b thread* Like-minded people! Yay!

My first erotic novella was published in January, and part of me wonders if it was a fluke. Though I seeeeriously doubt writing will ever be a full-time career for me, I figured I might as well get a little more serious about it, and these forums look great for brainstorming, sharing ideas, and discussions that may or may not involve commas!

I generally lean towards humans having sex in sci-fi/fantasy settings, though I may try something more contemporary one day. My husband has said he'll make fun of me if I ever write about a dragon, so I think I'll leave those out for now. (Which is just fine, as I don't want to have to figure out the mechanics of dragon sex.)

Anyway...hello!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, Thea. I bet dragon sex would be like lizard sex only on a grander scale, pun fully intended.

Maryn, cracking herself up

dylancross7

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hello all, I am enjoying reading here.

I like to write erotic stories, some of which push the limits. My themes include coercion, humiliation and semi or non consensual. From what I've read, many disagree with such themes being used to excite the reader. However, my opinion is that nobody is being forced to read such works, so everyone should have the freedom to read or write what they choose.

I have always been a fan of the genre, and my favorite old school authors include Parker, Terri Madison and Marlissa. I don't feel that reading such stories will make people go out and commit rape, anymore than playing Call of Duty on the xbox causes anyone to go out and start shooting people. Just my opinion.