Welcome, Lurkers!

izumi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
izumibrooks.dreamwidth.org
So after lurking all over the place for a few months, I've decided to mostly semi-stop... Maybe... :x

I've become interested in erotic writing since my last and current WIP ended up as such. The next one looks like it's going to end up as such also from the looks of it.

Darke

New Kid. Careful, I bite.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Hi all, interesting place you have here. I am in the process of trying to finish my first erotic peice. It started off as an exercise to see if I could write it, now, I've come up with this whole series about the life of a succubus.

Like I need more projects. *headdesk*

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh, a succubus! Sounds interesting.

Boston Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, that was Melissa Gilbert. My avie is Christina Hendricks, who plays Joan Holloway on Mad Men.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Boston Steve, your avatar was acutally my inspiration for my M/M/F WIP. I kept on flashing back to that picture when I was plotting and finally gave in and put her in there.

Oh, and I have a big girl crush on her now. I LOVE her body! So curvy and feminine, yum.

Boston Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to have been able to provide some inspiration, Ann, indirect though it may be.

petronella63

Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking and posting infrequently for many a year. Have posted in SYW Erotica a number of times. BTW I went there yesterday and there was nothing there.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Boston Steve, your avatar was acutally my inspiration for my M/M/F WIP. I kept on flashing back to that picture when I was plotting and finally gave in and put her in there.

She's the embodiment of a character in my last story, and one of the main characters in my wip. I didn't know who she was and asked Boston S. Now I have an image to fit the character. (Which is something I always try to do.)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking and posting infrequently for many a year. Have posted in SYW Erotica a number of times. BTW I went there yesterday and there was nothing there.
Really? I'm doing far more critique behind the scenes rather than on the SYW board these days, but it seems unlikely to have been wiped out without a murmur of protest.

Maybe there was some sort of glitch that just happened to exist when you tried it. I do hope you'll give it another shot. You can get some really useful feedback there, as you probably know.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

It's been pretty quiet in there lately. I have to confess I've been so wrapped up in my own writing I haven't been to SYW to offer critiques for ages. I must try and remedy that.

*slaps wrist*

trajafort

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
While I intend this mainly for one new lurker, a friend of an online friend of mine, I imagine there could be others a little leery of going public. To any and all, I’m glad you took the advice to join AW even if you’re only reading at this point.

To my one lurker: I’ve read your work, thanks to my friend’s directing me to it, and while it couldn’t be sold without pissing off--Warner Bros., is it?--the writing’s got plenty going for it. Lots of energy, strongly visual, consistent character behavior, all kinds of good stuff. It’s got a few weaknesses, too, but I imagine you’d rather nobody noted them until and only if you ask. Which is cool. I hate it when strangers come up and comment on my fat thighs.

Back to any lurkers we might have: AbsoluteWrite’s an especially good place for erotica writers, because there aren’t many writing sites which take erotica seriously. AW treats it like any other genre, rather than some second-class endeavor to be sneered at, or banned over.

Those who prefer--which is a lot of newcomers--can merely read boards (lurk). Both members and non-members can read boards which have no password protection, and all anybody will know is that a specific member is at the AW site, and that certain boards have certain numbers of visitors, not who is where. So you have a fair amount of privacy here.

I recommend you read not only the Writing Erotica board but also the general boards about writing fiction of any kind. Just because it's about sex doesn't mean we can get sloppy, right? You’ll pick up all kinds of tips, meet great people, and quickly learn who knows their shit and who’s a beginner. The Novels board (especially Learn Writing with Uncle Jim) and the Grammar and Syntax board are the equivalent of lots of college with a Creative Writing major. Seriously.

Among the regulars at the Writing Erotica board are several who have sold books, ebooks, and/or short stories, and plenty more who will sooner rather than later, along with still more who are only beginning to explore the genre. At every level, people are able and willing to share what they’ve learned on the way, both about writing in the genre and about marketing.

One thread at Writing Erotica is password-protected. There the language and content get fairly raunchy. However, there’s almost never any discussion of writing and marketing there. It’s more a place to play or blow off steam, with lots of flirting, sexual quips, etc. The password was added only recently, when mods agreed a lot of the content was not suitable for all members 13-and-up but only for adults.

Critique for all genres is posted at Share Your Work, each genre on its own board. All are password-protected, so those who post do not use up first publication rights. They’re also protected from search engines picking up their text. There’s lots to be learned from reading work and its critiques in any genre you read. The password for all is “vista”--except for SYW-Erotica, which has a separate password, so no underage users have access. (My kids, young adults now, say I was overprotective, and maybe they’re right--but I like knowing AW does it this way. The idea of a kid reading some of that content is creepy.) When you’re ready to read there, send a private message to the board moderator saying you’re 21 or more.

In the last few months, the level of camaraderie and support among the erotica writers has blossomed. People who stopped in for help with a troublesome romantic chapter of a non-erotica work have stayed, they like it so much. Some are experimenting with erotica for the first time, learning a lot while enjoying the process and the people. Others are just hanging out, laughing and joking.

While some of us at the Erotica board are pretty open about who we are and what we like when it comes to sex, others are not. It’s not like other genres--nobody assumes the mystery author really wants to kill anybody, or in fact already has. Posting writing intended to turn people on reveals something that’s deeply personal, and we’ll all understand if you choose not to do it, now or ever.

I do hope you and any others who only lurk will feel free to step from the shadows and introduce yourselves, telling us only what you’re comfortable with. I’ll go first: I’m Maryn, the oldest one here (I think) but not the most experienced (I know!), long married, two adult kids, and I live between the Great Lakes and the Finger Lakes. I started writing sexy fanfic when the market for mystery short stories got tiny, and found I really liked it. I removed “my guy” and started writing stories nobody could sue me over.

Maryn, quite long-winded as usual

Well, gosh, thank you, maid Marian, although I don't think my beloveds are quite ready to make the sexy times in front of you.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pleased to meet you, trajafort.

Maryn, all dressed up but not needing to leave for five minutes

petronella63

Registered
Reaction score
A bit of an update on not seeing anything at Erotica SYW. The first time around a bit of a glitch at my end meant the sticky there did not fully load and I missed seeing the link to the forum.

The second time around everything worked fine and I'm seeing it all.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whew! That's good to know. I'm far from a tech-type person, and if you really couldn't see anything there, I'd have been no help whatsoever, except for feeding you something sweet to dull the pain.

Maryn, pretty sure sugar is the answer to everything

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm glad to have found the Erotica SYW section, and AbsoluteWrite in general. Having played in erotic fanfiction for a decade or so, and written several unsold epic fantasies, I thought it was time to focus on original erotic fiction. I'm having a blast writing my new WIP, the camaraderie on these forums is remarkable, and I've learned a lot about writing and publishing.

Seconding Maryn's ideas about sugar solving many problems. But in my case, it's really good dark chocolate.