Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Mrs. B, sounds like it's time to quarantine your house! Sheesh. It never rains but it pours. Hope you get the littles all patched up and feeling better soon.

My little had an eventful day. Had a park playdate / bday party this morning, where he made instant buddies with another guy almost exactly the same age. They got sticks and swished them around in the pond, which was filled with green slime, until inevitably Sharkbite fell face-first into the water. Yummy.

Then tonight at dinner, I gave him a special treat of a glass full of V8, which he loves. Couple minutes later, he's goofing off and puts his foot up on the table. I say, "No feet on the table!" and about two seconds later the entire glass of V8 goes flying, christening both him and my brand new pants before covering the floor. Oh, small one.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Mrs. B}}}

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
Nah, it wasn't mangatar, though it was kind of like it. The images were a little less cartoon-ey, and a little more "real." (even though they still looked fake, so that doesn't make a whole lot of sense).

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh jeez, Mrs B. I'd be wanting Calgon to take me away too. I hope the Good Health fairy takes up residence in the Brommers household today and stays there!

Haupe, my PP account is set up so I can transfer money from it to my bank account easily enough, but putting money into it from my bank account requires some very complicated alchemy which requires a card reader. As I rarely use PP I try not to think about it.

Hope you managed to find a good replacement laptop Lily. I'm loving my Toshiba but just dreading that moment when something goes wrong.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Not a lot of sleep and a cranky disposition will have me over here at the bar.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
(((((((mrsb and little b) how scary!

I saw on Facebook that another mini purg is sick. Nyrak posted that her little one is in the hospital with something called myositis

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
{{{{Mrs. B & little MissB}}}} Sounds very scary :( Hope it clears up soon.
Hope Nyrak's little one is okay too.

Otherwise, I'm hoping for a more relaxing day today. Yesterday was 17 kindergartners at Monster Golf, plus the three angry birds cakes I decided I had to make...

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning! Ice storm here. Well, there's ice and it's raining, which is icy-stormy enough for me. I am not going anywhere. I have the gas fireplace on, dogs on the couch, and I am working on three separate writing projects.

In related news, I think I've found the start of the New Novel. YAY!

Also, I have banana nut muffins.

(((hugs))) to everyone struggling with illnesses and kindergarten birthday parties :)))

Have a lovely day!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Morning. Impossible to catch up. After6 days of trying, well, everything, the laptop HD made only a clicking sound this morning. Mr Lily and I have researched and I went to BestBuy to play around yesterday. Noe 8
I'm waiting for the pickup email.

Toshiba touch screen 14". $630 incl tax. We just couldn't justify $1100 plus tax for a 13" macbook. Sigh. The toshiba has Windows 8. I predict much gnashing of teeth in my future. But at least I'll be online again

NIYRAK

Plot Ninja's on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
*pokes head in*
Morning Purgies.

Thank you for all the well wishes over on FB @ Little man. He is feeling better this morning and has actually been able to walk to the bathroom all by himself! (Friday he could not stand and keep his balance let alone trying to walk.)

The Dr came in just now and said his CK's were down to round 2,000 (from $4,000+) which is GREAT NEWS! They are going to take out his IV and as long as his numbers keep going down we might get to ok to go home tomorrow!

He is in good spirits and only having pain every once and a while. The Dr wants to run one more test to make sure the virus didn't damage his calf muscles. He is playing a video game and lounging in his bed right now.

Hoping for more good news later and a definite go home time.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and well wishes. It really means a lot to me. :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mrs. B, how awful! What have you done to anger the health gods? This is enough bad piled on bad that I don't know for sure there will ever come a time when the healthy family looks back on it and laughs.

NIYRAK, fingers crossed for your little one to be home and healthy soon.

I saw a fascinating play last night about Steve Jobs, who I never gave a damn about. If "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs 2.0" plays where you are, you need to see it. You will never look at your iProducts in the same way again.

Maryn, who left wanting to join a commune and live off the land

Shveta

Dangling from rainbows
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, who left wanting to join a commune and live off the land

A great lead-in for this lady who built herself a mud hut.

Also, hi, all my lovely Purgies! After this difficult first week of rejections, I'm feeling a lot better and more grounded. (Let's see how long that lasts.) I feel very blessed to have so many supportive friends who believe in me, both here and elsewhere. :Hug2:

E.T.A.: For all the Patr1c1a McK1ll1p fans here, she'll be at Readercon in July.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry to all who are sick or have sick ones at home. It seems to be a particularly nasty season for illness this year.

On the editing topic, I'm lousy at it. I really need to put a draft aside for a long time, then go back to it as if it is someone else's work. Otherwise I have trouble changing things. Not good, I know.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Otherwise, I'm hoping for a more relaxing day today. Yesterday was 17 kindergartners at Monster Golf, plus the three angry birds cakes I decided I had to make...

You are very brave. Though I'm sure you had a moment where you questioned the wisdom of giving 17 5 year olds golf clubs.

Our scariest bday party experience was when we took more than a dozen second grade girls ice skating. We had our own mini-rink. Only half the girls could skate. One parent asked if we would have helmets - um, no, oops. We brought out all these things that look like walkers to help them. That just led to races and crashing into walls and seeing how far they could throw them. I basically stood in the middle of the ice with girls wiping out constantly around me, desperately hoping no one broke any major bones. Some of them decided it would be fun to lick the ice. By the end of the longest hour of my life it had turned into Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome On Ice. But we sent only one child home lightly damaged. Never again.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I may or may not be having a wonderful Purgie on the podcast today.

I also may or may not be in So Cal in 3 weeks for a conference (gaming, not writing and private invitation only, not public). Don't think I'm allowed to say anymore.

I do have a dog (Chloe, the poodle) who has gone through a beta program for how dogs think. Very interesting and insightful profile on her and I think it's quite accurate when I think how it relates to her behavior. The little one, I will try doing another set of games with her, but whether we will complete or not, I'm not sure. At 13 years old, she seemed to get a bit bored and her attention isn't what it used to be.

That's it from my world. Well, not really, but some of it's crap I don't feel like talking about. Real Life shit irritates the hell out of me sometimes.

*crawls back into her author/reader bubble-fort in the corner*

Cake

Registered
Reaction score
Love the cakes! I have a bit of a soft spot for anything cake though ;)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When our kids were in college and The Kid was not faring well (her social anxiety disorder went from pretty bad to near-unmanageable), I began the practice of sending boxes for Valentine's Day, even though they had everything they needed, and Kid Two always had a girlfriend because hey, he's like that. (Which mystifies me, but never mind.)

Anyway, The Kid lives here in town and certainly doesn't need a care package from home, but she's getting one anyway. She gets a humorous valentine, a pomegranate (because she's recently discovered she loves them), and whatever small indulgences I can think of which she would not buy herself. I'm planning to try fudge yet again, after someone shared a recipe children can make successfully. I'll consider making mini-loaves of bread. But beyond that, I'm blank.

She's 28, poor but not broke, lives a solitary life on purpose, and leaves town Valentine's evening for a convention where she's presenting a paper (and possibly seeing an old flame). So fresh food might be a crummy notion. Any ideas? Those of you who are young, single, and poor--what would you love to see when you open the box?

Maryn, fishing

Cake

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn - how about indulgent night in stuff, like bubble bath and a chick-flick film and a face mask?

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Hm - at that age, I probably wanted, in no particular order,
a) to know what the hell was wrong with boys
b) wine
c) to be able to take a night off my studies and hit the movies or some other normal-type activity without feeling guilty about it
d) beer

Joking aside, I probably looked most for ways to make myself feel like I was living a grown-up life instead of a student one every now and then. Candles and a jazz CD, maybe a foreign film on DVD (if that's her thing.). Then again, if it's comforts of home for her, maybe a few favorite recipe cards with some of the sweeter or harder to find ingredients, that kind of thing.

Becky, who doesn't miss grad school at all

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, I'm 28, young, poor, and in grad school. (I'm generally a solitary person, though I'm missing the crucial single element.) I think that's such a fantastic idea. My mom used to send me care-packages every Valentine's Day.

I second the idea of small indulgences of the non-food variety. Rab had some excellent suggestions. Does the Kid like nice bath-products? A good hand cream can make a lady feel like a movie star. Or maybe small gift cards for small treats, like $5 to Starbucks or the movies? Being able to buy a fancy cup of tea (or coffee) and not feel bad about it is a lovely treat. Or a gift card to buy a book? Or hell, a book you think she'd like?

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Evening, Purgatory.

(((Mrs. B))) I'm so sorry. That souns absolutely heinous. I hope everyone improves as quickly as possible.

I was about to bitch that my post-Christmas plague has relapsed into my chest, but it pales in comparison to Mrs. B's house. That said, I feel like I've been steamrollered and would do pretty much anything for a hug right about now.

Maryn, I'm 27, poor but not broke, and live a solitary life kind-of on purpose, and I would give a definite thumbs up to fudge. (Do you have Maltesers in the US? Malteser fudge is divine.) I've never received a care package (something I've resolved this minute to do should I ever have nieces and nephews), but I know I always appreciate a handwritten note. Putting a pen to paper has always indicated time and dedication to me. Nice candles always seem like a huge indulgence to me, as well.

In other news, I kind of miss my housemate. I'm delighted he has a girlfriend and he's happy, but I've seen him about three times in the last ten days and always with his girlfriend. I miss just spending an evening with him and catching up.

Sorry, gang, this is why I haven't really been posting since we moved to Volume 8. I've spent most of January feeling down and trapped outside of work, and the only thing I can think of to do is keep writing. Everyone I know offline suddenly seems to be in a couple, and it's hitting me hard, but just because everyone I know is in a couple hardly seems a good incentive for dating. :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.