What Is Up With the Rampant Use of Comma Splices..

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
narrow'd down

Don't know about Clarissa, but good Catholic kids couldn't read Pamela back then. My guess is 'cause Sam Richardson started the 1750s London bobbies to saying, "We got the suspects narrow'd down to the rich countess and the butler." :D

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen tons a comma splices recently, too, in the articles I edit for a couple of small-time magazines. In fact, I've seen so many that I had to go back and make sure the rules hadn't changed, that I wasn't crazy. I don't know why. Maybe sentence structure isn't taught very well anymore.

Now regarding mistakes in blogs, I'm positive I'm guilty of those. For one of my freelance clients I have to post blog content three times a week. My posts are usually between 600 and 1000 words. It's a lot of content to generate that frequently (within a pretty narrow overarching topic), and when you add in the turnaround time for my client to review the posts before I put them up, it doesn't leave much time for editing. I do the best I can, but when you're churning out posts at a fast rate, it's easy to miss things.

cyanideenid

Registered
Reaction score
I feel so much better for seeing this thread. :D The last few things I've read had me thinking I was getting trigger happy. The experiences can be summed thusly:

'You missed a comma.'

'Seriously, another one?'

'I would like to introduce you to the semi-colon.'

'
JUST USE SHORTER SENTENCES.' :gaah

SIZE=3]I am not alone! :yessmiley

[/SIZE]

Isn't it squee-worthy??? I feel so relieved.

Hanson, I will have to keep my eye on you. :) It's so hard to judge inflection and sarcasm, even 15 years or so into using the internet.

[

cyanideenid

Registered
Reaction score
aus10phile:

Yes, it's all very upsetting! I feel like it's our (the GOOD writers) job to carry the torch of good writing. ;)

I think the end times truly are upon us.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
in so many articles (blog and otherwise) on the damned internet?? Even my editor uses them in her emails.

It makes me feel like I'm going batsh*& insane so I wanted to post this so I could get some moral support. :)

And not only comma splices, but using semi-colons in place of commas to separate a main clause from a supporting clause. I see that a lot, and in published books, too. Hair-tearing, it is.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
And not only comma splices, but using semi-colons in place of commas to separate a main clause from a supporting clause. I see that a lot, and in published books, too. Hair-tearing, it is.

I haven't noticed that one, but I try to ignore punctuation when I am just reading.

Stormyness

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness.

What on earth is a comma splice and could somebody please give me some examples?

What on earth is a comma splice; could somebody please give me some examples?

What on earth is a comma splice, could somebody please give me some examples?

Which is correct?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Oh my goodness.

What on earth is a comma splice and could somebody please give me some examples?

Which is correct?

The bolded sample is the comma splice. The one with a semicolon is grammatically correct.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness.

Get thee to PURDUE OWL (google being your friend here, for once), the best grammar/punctuation/style reference available, free, on-line.

They will tell you that a comma splice is a misuse of punctuation, by which you combine two things that should be separate stand-alone sentences, with a comma. You could use a semicolon, a period or a conjunction in place of the comma, but the comma is simply incorrect.

It's the single most common punctuational error I encounter in my English composition classes. I'm not a stickler for "right v. wrong" with very many things in the matter of composition, but a comma splice is never never never, as in never ever, the antithesis of always, correct. Plus it's wrong, erroneous and a punctuational mistake.

caw

Last edited:

leocrow

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome resource!

Comma use or misuse has become an absolute NIGHTMARE. I feel like I have to re-learn English from scratch! Punctuation's usually something you don't think of, you just do it naturally, because rhythm - which punctuation basically is about - has something instinctive...

Now I hate this little Nike-reminder, sentence-killer nothing with all my heart. I've even come to dread using it in every single sentence I frame...

Yourg

Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, I don't think we want to see semicolons turning up everywhere, either. I'd rather it be a period or a conjuction, generally.

Could it be that people think of the comma as a substitute for "and"?

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
I like semicolons. When I find a comma splice - which is a common occurrence - I just switch the comma for a semicolon and go on my happy way. (Later I often end up splitting many of those sentences into two.) Also, I honestly didn't know what a comma splice was until about a year ago so grammar isn't exactly my strong point.

I'm not sure there's agreement but I've read in a writing book or two that the comma splice is acceptable in dialogue, that it makes the sentences sound more urgent. Maybe that has trickled into non-dialogue type expressions too?

I'm going to post this now and hope there aren't too many grammar mistakes in it...

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score

Which is correct?

None is correct. Should be

What on earth is a comma splice, and could somebody please give me some examples? (Note insertion of comma,)

or

What on earth is a comma splice? Could somebody please give me some examples? (Don't think a semicolon replaces a question mark.)

Not sure which would be correct on planets other than earth.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

The comma splice is never acceptable. It's an easy error to make since we see it so frequently (says she who has been known to use commas as if seasoning with pepper) but it is never acceptable.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
The comma splice is never acceptable. It's an easy error to make since we see it so frequently (says she who has been known to use commas as if seasoning with pepper) but it is never acceptable.

What makes them so intolerable? It isn't like getting two, too, and to mixed up; it simply leads to strange sentences.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
. . . it simply leads to strange sentences.

. . . strange and often confusing sentences. Therein lies the rub and why comma splices are intolerable.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Surely everyone will disagree with me, and perhaps with good reason, but I see no good reason why comma splices are intolerable, erroneous, unacceptable, incorrect, and so on. Changing the comma to a semicolon would eliminate the error, and the only difference is that dot above the comma. A comma splice is a small bit of negligence; that's all.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see no good reason why comma splices are intolerable, erroneous, unacceptable, incorrect, and so on. Changing the comma to a semicolon would eliminate the error, and the only difference is that dot above the comma. A comma splice is a small bit of negligence; that's all.

I see your point but am one of those who respectfully disagree. Most of our punctuation is made up of arrangements of dots and straight or curved lines. Their number and placement in recognizable fashion facilitates reading.

For me, proper punctuation signals sentence structure. Poorly and wrongly punctuated prose drags reading to a crawl, whereas the same words, phrases, and clauses with proper punctuation usually makes sense without tedious re-reading.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I see your point but am one of those who respectfully disagree. Most of our punctuation is made up of arrangements of dots and straight or curved lines. Their number and placement in recognizable fashion facilitates reading.

For me, proper punctuation signals sentence structure. Poorly and wrongly punctuated prose drags reading to a crawl, whereas the same words, phrases, and clauses with proper punctuation usually makes sense without tedious re-reading.

Yes, and styles of punctuation change over not very long times.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score

Personally, I don't think that a sentence like this does all that much to hinder comprehension, maybe that's just me, though.

a sentence like this on the other hand i can totally agree with in terms of it being a real pain in the eyeball to read it takes on a weird breathless quality and personally i hear the voice of one of my friends reading it aloud because he has a habit of foregoing grammar entirely

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The comma splice isn't as bad as run-on (fused) sentences, but it does cause me, as reader, to flinch, which isn't good for the reading experience. Punctuation conventions have evolved for a damn good reason: to facilitate communication from writer to reader. As such, they are no different than spelling conventions, paragraph formatting conventions, etc. The comma splice is easily avoidable. It should be avoided.

caw

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that a sentence like this does all that much to hinder comprehension. . . .

I agree. One comma splice or run-on can be overlooked, skimmed through. The problem is when they happen again and again, and poor punctuation is but the tip of an iceberg of mechanical problems.

arcan

Registered
Reaction score
I've just read this thread and it made me smile. The exact same problem occurs in France. I think that the only countries where it doesn't are the ones without punctuation...