Does swore rhyme with war?

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was writing limericks and searching for words that rhyme with war. Google suggest sore, swore and chore among other words.

Do these words rhyme with war? I don't think they do but google says they do. What do you guys think?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they rhyme. There are several free rhyming dictionaries available online that make such questions easy. The number one hit on Google is
http://rhymezone.com/

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Even I use rhymezone but the words don't sound similar. Swore rhymes with score and more and war rhymes with for. But I guess you guys are right.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
There's no reason "war" shouldn't rhyme with "car" -- aside from how it's generally pronounced. And "car" certainly doesn't rhyme with "score." But that's how we pronounce war, and rhyming isn't based on how they look, it's based on how they sound.:Shrug:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"What rhymes with war?" wondered Tail.
Chase answered his usual derail:
"I also write limericks," he swore.
"Just an A-A-B-B-A whore.
Let's meet for a pint of green ale."

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Swore rhymes with score and more and war rhymes with for.

I've been sitting here mumbling all of those words over and over for the last several minutes, and for the life of me can't get them not to rhyme. How are you pronouncing the vowels?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It is a matter of localized dialect. To me war does not rhyme with score, swore sore, or chore, but it does rhyme with "maw", "paw", "for", "boudoir".

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
But one should use the dictionary pronunciation and not local dialect (unless the whole limerick is obviously written in said dialect), correct?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
But one should use the dictionary pronunciation and not local dialect (unless the whole limerick is obviously written in said dialect), correct?

Nah, you say it as you would say it. Poetry is to be spoken, unless it isn't.

War rhymes with armoire, but not boudoir nor swore.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It is a matter of localized dialect. To me war does not rhyme with score, swore sore, or chore, but it does rhyme with "maw", "paw", "for", "boudoir".

Boudoir? Really? In my accent, that would be budwah. So wah, mah, pah and fah?

Whereas in reality I say war as wore. So it rhymes with score and sore and chore.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I... o_O

I'm not sure what dialect rhymes "war" with "paw." One ends in an or (store, core, bore, door, lore, chore, more) , and the other ends with a soft aw, like you saw something cute (law, caw, raw).

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I can rhyme war with paw if the latter is a dog's foot. And maw would another word for mouth.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I... o_O

I'm not sure what dialect rhymes "war" with "paw." One ends in an or (store, core, bore, door, lore, chore, more) , and the other ends with a soft aw, like you saw something cute (law, caw, raw).

They all have the same sound to me.

The odd one out in King Neptune's list to an Englishman is, as miranda pointed out, is boudoir. But UK and US pronunciations of French words are often very different (and both different from how the French would say them).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I can rhyme war with paw if the latter is a dog's foot. And maw would another word for mouth.

They don't rhyme. It isn't how anyone pronounces a word that matters, how the word is supposed to be pronounced is all that counts.

Accent does not count. Readers of a poem may have a hundred different accents, a hundred different dialects. The only way for them all to agree on any rhyme is to use the dictionary pronunciation for that word.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Nah, you say it as you would say it. Poetry is to be spoken, unless it isn't.

War rhymes with armoire, but not boudoir nor swore.

If you write it as you say it, don't pretend it rhymes. It doesn't.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
They don't rhyme. It isn't how anyone pronounces a word that matters, how the word is supposed to be pronounced is all that counts.

Accent does not count. Readers of a poem may have a hundred different accents, a hundred different dialects. The only way for them all to agree on any rhyme is to use the dictionary pronunciation for that word.

I'm sorry, but who said? So everyone should speak the way the Oxford English Dictionary says? So... that will be you with an English accent then?

ETA - Sorry forgot the :brit

Last edited: