Does swore rhyme with war?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on how vowels have evolved where you are.

See the horse-hoarse merger.

Originally in English, they would not have rhymed. For many people in the US, they do rhyme now.

In several non-US Englishes, they do not rhyme.

I try to pronounce them differently, since they have different phonemes. I don't always succeed.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Boudoir? Really? In my accent, that would be budwah. So wah, mah, pah and fah?

Whereas in reality I say war as wore. So it rhymes with score and sore and chore.

We use different vowels. You probably call Barbed wire "boubwor" (or something like that.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I... o_O

I'm not sure what dialect rhymes "war" with "paw." One ends in an or (store, core, bore, door, lore, chore, more) , and the other ends with a soft aw, like you saw something cute (law, caw, raw).

I speak the common and ordinary speech of New England.

Do you pronounce "merry", "Mary", and "marry" the same?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
They don't rhyme. It isn't how anyone pronounces a word that matters, how the word is supposed to be pronounced is all that counts.

Accent does not count. Readers of a poem may have a hundred different accents, a hundred different dialects. The only way for them all to agree on any rhyme is to use the dictionary pronunciation for that word.

"Supposed to be"!? I hate to tell you but there is no "supposed to be" in pronunciation; there is only what people actually say.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It depends on how vowels have evolved where you are.

See the horse-hoarse merger.

Originally in English, they would not have rhymed. For many people in the US, they do rhyme now.

In several non-US Englishes, they do not rhyme.

I try to pronounce them differently, since they have different phonemes. I don't always succeed.

They don't rhyme now. Horse and hoarse are quite distinct.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Scuse me? :ROFL: Boubwor?

The Southern U.S. dialect shifts its vowels so that "i" becomes and "o"; an "ar" becomes an "ou", and so on. I was rather shocked when I noticed the details of how it worked, but I was working with a Deep Southerner, and I eventually figured out what was going on.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The Southern U.S. dialect shifts its vowels so that "i" becomes and "o"; an "ar" becomes an "ou", and so on. I was rather shocked when I noticed the details of how it worked, but I was working with a Deep Southerner, and I eventually figured out what was going on.

Oh I see! Hmmm.... that would take some practice for me.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
If you want words to rhyme, and you're looking at readers from more than just your own dialectic area, then yes, there are "proper" pronunciations to use - in the dictionary. It's like grammar - if you want to communicate clearly to a diverse group of people, you use the tools that will accomplish that. Using "what people actually say" will lead to a Tower of Babel situation - as evidenced by the questions in this thread.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Ahh. It's the same here though. A lot less accents than there used to be.

The fewer accents the better, but the UK had enough for fifty times the population. That was partly because the subtle difference between two villages a mile apart was called separate accents, even though no one except an expert noticed the difference. Here in the U.S. I think that the lower limit has been reached and new accents have erupted. The North Central one has expanded from a few cities to a large section of the upper Midwest, but it may have eliminated a couple of other sets of variations, as one example.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The fewer accents the better, but the UK had enough for fifty times the population. That was partly because the subtle difference between two villages a mile apart was called separate accents, even though no one except an expert noticed the difference.

Ermmmm..... no. The people living there could tell the difference. And so could a lot of others.

And I disagree with the first sentence too. The more accents the better.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Ermmmm..... no. The people living there could tell the difference. And so could a lot of others.

They could tell the difference only because they knew everyone in either village.

And I disagree with the first sentence too. The more accents the better.

I have mixed feelings about that. There's a lot to be said for uniformity in speech, but there is also a lot to be said for local variation.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
In some areas. The link even has a map of where.

The war/wore pair is mentioned as part of this merger.

Where "wore" can stand in for "swore".

According to the map on the linked page I am not of any of those areas where people still know that horse and hoarse are not homophones.