Begging the truce?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For a long, long time, “begs the question meant” referred only to a fallacy in argument where an issue is sidestepped, usually assuming a questionable point to be irrefutable proof.

Now, even better dictionaries carry an alternate definition: “to invite or provoke a question” (American Heritage).

http://parade.condenast.com/277567/marilynvossavant/277567/

In last Sunday’s Parade, Marilyn offers, “The phrase was first misused by unwitting speakers who were trying to sound learned, but as more listeners repeated the blunder, it became so common that the term began to acquire a new meaning: “raises the question,” followed by a question.

In seventy-plus years of listening and reading, I recall lots of misunderstood words and phrases (my own “trying to sound learned” included) mutating into other meanings. There’s probably a list.

Is it the dumbing down of our language? Or is it inevitable change? Marilyn double-begs these questions by sidestepping and asking for a truce: If we mean the argument fallacy, why not call it “circular reasoning”? If we want the other, isn't “raises the question” clearer? :D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I beg you to leave this question alone!

:D

I didn't know "begs the question" was a phrase that was being morphed via misuse; I appreciate the information. In general, I think the language is smarter than any of its users, and will absorb and make intelligible any errors of usage that become so common as to lodge in its innards.

So, it's a both/and kinda thingaroo, IMO. Ignorance tries to dumb language down; language goes "neener neener" and creates intelligent usage out of the raw material of the error.

That's my theory, anyway.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
"Begging the question" is assuming the conclusion as part of one's argument. It never meant sidestepping an issue. There are a number of varieties of "red-herring", all of which involve sidestepping the issue.

If someone misused that phrase to me, then I would demand an explanation.