Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome shots, SK. Just admit it — how many shots do you take? ;)
Well, not that I'm counting or anything, but the percentage of decent shots is quite low, way down in the single digits. So I make up for it by taking tons of shots whenever possible. :)
...That blue water looks unreal. Do you use a polarizing filter?
I do sometimes but didn't use one in those images, which were taken with a UV filter. Had I been shooting in the opposite direction, however, the water would've appeared almost black instead of blue, which is a cool effect also when a white bird happens by.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...The camera is only as good as the photographer.
That's an excellent line, and so true. I mentioned earlier in this thread how in the right hands, even a disposable camera can be used to take great shots.

As an aside, I was asked recently by a so-called friend to take photos of his son's wedding. I politely declined. He was all like, Come on, man, I need you for this.

And I was all like, Nope, sorry.

Then he had the balls to ask if he could use my camera to let someone else record the event.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to check out the great photos, I knew SK would have some more up. Such detail and great color! I love that old stump the gator and turtles seem to enjoy, when I do a drawing it'll be involved. I know, I'm odd. ;)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your oddness is what makes you so adorable. :D

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
SK, I'm curious. Have you taken a photography course? These really are awesome photos.

Also, can't blame you about the wedding pics. Did you still get an invite?

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
That's an excellent line, and so true. I mentioned earlier in this thread how in the right hands, even a disposable camera can be used to take great shots.

As an aside, I was asked recently by a so-called friend to take photos of his son's wedding. I politely declined. He was all like, Come on, man, I need you for this.

Then he had the balls to ask if he could use my camera to let someone else record the event.

My husband and I bought 8 disposable cameras and told people to have fun with it. We also asked anyone who had a camera and wanted to bring to please do. I have over 200 photographs of my wedding day.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
I saw cray's bike go by, but he wasn't riding it at the time:

I can't help but think of our cray and his bike when I see egrets now, especially when they first take off and are all legs and wings and long neck, wobbling in the most awkward way while straining to gain momentum... :)

And him trying to hold on with his wittle bunny ears flapping in the wind.

And him going wheeee! Wheeee! Whee whee! Wheeee!

Another bicycle, a smaller version, flying by. Cray wasn't on that one, either:

3-7-12054-SM-2.jpg

:roll: you guys crack me up. :roll:

great pics as always, sk. impressive.

in june i should probably have some action pics of me riding. if i remember and if this thread is still alive i will try to post a few so you can ALL see what i'm talking about! keep the neck of the bird above in mind!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
SK, I'm curious. Have you taken a photography course? These really are awesome photos.
Thank you. :)

I haven't taken any courses and learned mostly through trial and error. And lots of practice.
Also, can't blame you about the wedding pics. Did you still get an invite?
I dislike attending weddings so much that I was hoping he'd dis-invite me!
SK, do you not like photographing people?
I enjoy shooting nature more but don't mind taking pics of people, especially family members and children. Small gatherings are fun also, but weddings are too much work, and the pressure on the photographer is quite high.

I've shot three weddings (one for pay and two as favors), and each was a torturous event that I finally swore I'd never repeat again. I was fortunate that the folks I shot for were very pleased with the results, but I can't stand even the thought of shooting another wedding.
My husband and I bought 8 disposable cameras and told people to have fun with it. We also asked anyone who had a camera and wanted to bring to please do. I have over 200 photographs of my wedding day.
That's a great idea; and I'll bet you have some cool pictures taken by your guests, in a variety of different situations, that no single photographer would have ever been able to capture.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you. :)

I haven't taken any courses and learned mostly through trial and error. And lots of practice.
I dislike attending weddings so much that I was hoping he'd dis-invite me!

I enjoy shooting nature more but don't mind taking pics of people, especially family members and children. Small gatherings are fun also, but weddings are too much work, and the pressure on the photographer is quite high.

I've shot three weddings (one for pay and two as favors), and each was a torturous event that I finally swore I'd never repeat again. I was fortunate that the folks I shot for were very pleased with the results, but I can't stand even the thought of shooting another wedding.

That's a great idea; and I'll bet you have some cool pictures taken by your guests, in a variety of different situations, that no single photographer would have ever been able to capture.

Yes, including a pic of the best man leaning against the wall texting during the ceremony. Due to this and other reasons we are no longer friends with him.

Also a fun picture of friends riding some statues as if they were bucking broncos outside of the restaurant we were married in.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com

My sister did that for her wedding reception and was disappointed that a lot of photos were trash since some of the guests let their kids take pictures and they came out garbage. Though she had some good photos worth keeping, there were many she had to toss away.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, the person my friend used to take pictures of his son's wedding appeared uncomfortable and pretty much out of her element. She stayed too far in the background most of the time and never once took charge to get people together for group pictures, even of the wedding party.

Another odd thing I noticed (because you know I was watching her work) is that she'd often squat down very low and take pictures from an upward angle. She even did this during the ceremony, almost exclusively, while holding the camera vertically.

Not sure what effect she was aiming for, but the subjects must have appeared towering in those images.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My sister did that for her wedding reception and was disappointed that a lot of photos were trash since some of the guests let their kids take pictures and they came out garbage. Though she had some good photos worth keeping, there were many she had to toss away.

No children were invited to our wedding. One of my ex-bridesmaids is now my ex-friend because she accused me of tearing her family apart because I wouldn't allow her ill behaved to my wedding.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
re wedding photos (it does kind of relate to wildlife :D)

We only invited two kids to our wedding. We knew them well, and knew how they behaved. There were two others there as well. My almost MIL had told their parents it was OK to bring them.

We hired a friend who was a professional photographer to take our pictures. He had a list of the individuals and groupings we wanted. It wasn't until we got the proofs back that I discovered there were none of the posed photos of *my* relatives I wanted, but tons of photos of various relatives and friends of said MIL. She had shanghaied the poor photog, take a picture of this my friend and this my in-law etc. The only photos that had any of my three grandparents or my aunt or my uncle in them were just general shots with them in the background. Why, no, I'm not bitter. Almost 40 years later. I kept the hubby in spite of her.

MM

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I finished Virginia Woolf's Monday or Tuesday short story collection. Below is how the title story begins. Anyway, I read this and thought of you all.

Lazy and indifferent, shaking space easily from his wings, knowing his way, the heron passes over the church beneath the sky. White and distant, absorbed in itself, endlessley the sky covers and uncovers, moves and remains.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
He'd make a nice bag and pair of shoes...

I'm KIDDING!

Word, sister. Word.

Funny thing--as many people as there are in Ohio that get baby alligators as "pets", I have yet to meet anyone who has a full-grown gator for a "pet."

Go figure. Then people wonder how these huge reptiles find their way into things they're not supposed to be in up here, like sewers or cranberry bogs or swimming pools.

Nature is rarely as poisonous as the extended family at a wedding.

I've shot three wedding PARTIEs (one for pay and two as favors), and each bride was a torturous event caterwauling, fit-throwing, nanny nanny boo boo pain in the wazoo that I finally swore I'd never use a repeating rifle again. I was fortunate that the folks I shot for were very pleased with the resultsdead, but I can't stand even the thought of shooting another wedding PARTY.

There. Fixed it for you.

*tackle hugs SK and runs out of thread*

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I put up the hummingbird feeder a few days ago after a year or two without, and I was looking out the window this morning and I saw my first hummingbird in years.

Gets ready to shoot....

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Virginia Woolf's Monday or Tuesday short story collection. Below is how the title story begins. Anyway, I read this and thought of you all.

Lazy and indifferent, shaking space easily from his wings, knowing his way, the heron passes over the church beneath the sky. White and distant, absorbed in itself, endlessley the sky covers and uncovers, moves and remains.

Great quote!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
We hired a friend who was a professional photographer to take our pictures. He had a list of the individuals and groupings we wanted. It wasn't until we got the proofs back that I discovered there were none of the posed photos of *my* relatives I wanted, but tons of photos of various relatives and friends of said MIL. She had shanghaied the poor photog, take a picture of this my friend and this my in-law etc...
That's a tough break; but your friend should share some of the blame for allowing himself to be distracted from the list you'd given him. The best wedding photographers I've seen are cordial yet assertive to the point of being pushy in getting the required shots they need for the event.

He was most likely trying to be nice to your MIL, but unfortunately it was at the expense of what you had expected of him at the time.
*tackle hugs SK and runs out of thread*
Hugs Celina back, really hard.

Man, that felt good. :)
I put up the hummingbird feeder a few days ago after a year or two without, and I was looking out the window this morning and I saw my first hummingbird in years.

Gets ready to shoot....
Taps foot while waiting for Ben to post a picture in this thread...

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score

Gets ready to shoot....

Taps foot while waiting for Ben to post a picture in this thread...

Depending on the caliber and type of shot, there may not be enough of the hummingbird left to photograph.