Not open for further replies.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Wanted: Dead or alive.

As if things weren't bad enough, there's this.

Members of the New Black Panther Party are offering a $10,000 reward for the "capture" of George Zimmerman, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer who shot Trayvon Martin.

New Black Panther leader Mikhail Muhammad announced the reward during a protest in Sanford Saturday. And when asked whether he was inciting violence, Muhammad replied defiantly: "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."

I'd hate to be someone who looks like George Zimmerman right about now.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah, this is really not good.

This week in Boston, a jury just returned a not-guilty verdict on two men accused in a brutal massacre of four people, including a small child, shot execution style. It has come out, though this should be confirmed, that the verdict was forced by a lone hold-out juror who another juror described after the trial was over as uncooperative and refusing to listen to argument. The scene in the court was a near riot when the verdict was read, and almost immediately Twitter was filled with outrage about it, including death threats against the accused men, along the lines of "You might get away with it in court, but you won't get away on the street."

And now this with the Martin murder.

There's too much anger going around. Things are going to get very ugly, very soon, I fear. I hope no one reveals publicly who that hold-out juror is. I hope no one commits murder to avenge Trayvon Martin, as heinous as that young man's murder was. This kind of eye-for-an-eye, take-the-law-into-our-own-hands attitude is fostered by things like "stand your ground laws" and it will tear society apart.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
For Zimmerman's own safety, he might try going to the nearest police station and ask to be locked up. Then again, the cops didn't arrest him the first time so they probably won't listen to him now....

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
President GWB issued one of those just a few years ago it seems. President Obama brought home the "dead" part. People cheered.

Now everyone wants the glory. Shakes head.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, I dunno. If the table was turned/the race of the shooter and the victim swapped, I wouldn't find it racist if in the 911 call he said "white" instead of "Caucasian."

Just saying. And I don't mean to come off as dismissive. This whole case saddens me and I hope justice is served.

Lyx

I'm thinking you're not getting what she is trying to say. She is saying that Zimmerman may have coded his response to suppress perception of bias, meaning that he was certainly aware that his decision to pursue was biased.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking you're not getting what she is trying to say. She is saying that Zimmerman may have coded his response to suppress perception of bias, meaning that he was certainly aware that his decision to pursue was biased.
Yep, absolutely. My reading comprehension is off tonight. Clearly. Thank you.

My mistake, my apologies, disregard and carry on.

Lyx

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
President GWB issued one of those just a few years ago it seems. President Obama brought home the "dead" part. People cheered.

Now everyone wants the glory. Shakes head.

"Karma Police...
...This is what you'll get...
...This is what you'll get..."
-Radiohead

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this is really not good.

This week in Boston, a jury just returned a not-guilty verdict on two men accused in a brutal massacre of four people, including a small child, shot execution style. It has come out, though this should be confirmed, that the verdict was forced by a lone hold-out juror who another juror described after the trial was over as uncooperative and refusing to listen to argument. The scene in the court was a near riot when the verdict was read, and almost immediately Twitter was filled with outrage about it, including death threats against the accused men, along the lines of "You might get away with it in court, but you won't get away on the street."

And now this with the Martin murder.

There's too much anger going around. Things are going to get very ugly, very soon, I fear. I hope no one reveals publicly who that hold-out juror is. I hope no one commits murder to avenge Trayvon Martin, as heinous as that young man's murder was. This kind of eye-for-an-eye, take-the-law-into-our-own-hands attitude is fostered by things like "stand your ground laws" and it will tear society apart.
Why didn't the jury just deadlock on all charges? Or could they not do that?

Also:
Only Kimani Washington, a cousin of Edward Washington, placed the two other stallions at the scene, but defense attorneys aggressively attacked his testimony, picking at inconsistencies in his statements to police and undermining his credibility.
Timothy Burke, a Needham defense attorney and former Suffolk prosecutor, said police and prosecutors had no choice but to rely on Kimani Washington.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
About that Florida "Stand Your Ground" Law...

That notorious Florida "Stand Your Ground" law that was the justification for Zimmerman's and the local police's actions?

It matches almost exactly one of the templates pre-written and supplied to many state legistlatures by the American Legislative Exchange Council, a private corporate-backed organization which has been attacking all sorts of government regulation of business and the environment and governmentcare for the poor and disadvantaged.

Paul Krugman wrote about ALEC today:

What is ALEC? Despite claims that it’s nonpartisan, it’s very much a movement-conservative organization, funded by the usual suspects: the Kochs, Exxon Mobil, and so on. Unlike other such groups, however, it doesn’t just influence laws, it literally writes them, supplying fully drafted bills to state legislators. In Virginia, for example, more than 50 ALEC-written bills have been introduced, many almost word for word. And these bills often become law.

Who funds ALEC? Altria Group, American Bail Coalition, AT&T, Bayer, Coca-Cola, Diageo PLC, Energy Future Holdings Corp., Exxon Mobil, GlaxoSmithKline, Intuit Inc., Johnson & Johnson, Koch Industries, Kraft Foods, Peabody Energy, Pfizer Inc., PhRMA, Reed Elsevier Inc., Reynolds American, Salt River Project, State Farm Insurance, United Parcel Service, Wal-Mart Stores.

ALEC is creating the political climate that allowed Zimmerman to do what he has done.

(I'm going to start a new thread on it, as well as posting this here.)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is what happens when there is no justice.

People exact their own.
I was just coming here to say that.

It's unthinkable that they haven't arrested George Zimmerman. For F's sake, he shot to death a fleeing, unarmed child who belonged in the neighborhood.

Arrest him, charge him with open murder and let a jury decide if what he did really falls under the protection Florida's Stand Your Ground act.

If vigilantes take George Zimmerman down, the authorities who failed to arrest him, take him into custody and charge him with murder are ultimately to blame. ETA and should vigilantes take this into their own hands? Yes, if only to teach the authorities the ultimate consequence of their inaction.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
If vigilantes take George Zimmerman down, the authorities who failed to arrest him, take him into custody and charge him with murder are ultimately to blame. ETA and should vigilantes take this into their own hands? Yes, if only to teach the authorities the ultimate consequence of their inaction.
I have to disagree. If for no other reason than the fact that he can still be arrested for it, after the feds clear house in that police station. If people act too hastily, it'll only end up in more bloodshed.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe this was the cops' intent all along when they didn't arrest him?

...Naaaaah.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to disagree. If for no other reason than the fact that he can still be arrested for it, after the feds clear house in that police station. If people act too hastily, it'll only end up in more bloodshed.
What is "too hastily"? The authorities have failed to arrest Georges Zimmerman even though he admits to shooting a child to death. The killing took place one month ago today. Don't you think one month is enough time for the authorities time to act? How many months should a violent, racist child slayer walk about free before the citizenry takes matters into their own hands?

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
What is "too hastily"? The authorities have failed to arrest Georges Zimmerman even though he admits to shooting a child to death. The killing took place one month ago today. Don't you think one month is enough time for the authorities time to act? How many months should a violent, racist child slayer walk about free before the citizenry takes matters into their own hands?

Do we have any evidence this Zimmerman guy is a racist? I was under the impression he was a trigger-happy vigilante, and probably one who houses unreasonable prejudices at that.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
How many months should a violent, racist child slayer walk about free before the citizenry takes matters into their own hands?

This reads as though you are calling for such an action. Is that your intent?

Could it be argued that the processes set up by the citizenry (namely the federal investigation) are stepping in and acting?

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing on this case is making Zimmerman look good.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That 13-year-old has been mentioned in earlier articles as having a problem with how police 'made' him answer. So there's a problem with him as the big witness, imho.

But I'll say again that if some scary big dude was stalking me, surprised me after I tried to get away, and then I saw a gun? Oh Hell No. I'd go for the gun, too.

I think it's very telling that Zimmerman told police that Trayvon tried to take his gun away. So he had it visible, for sure. What the hell did he expect to happen?

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do we have any evidence this Zimmerman guy is a racist? I was under the impression he was a trigger-happy vigilante, and probably one who houses unreasonable prejudices at that.
Can you explain to me the fundamental difference between "unreasonable prejudices" that would lead one to slay unarmed black child, and "racism"?

This reads as though you are calling for such an action. Is that your intent?
It was a question, not a call to action. I don't want to see vigilante justice. Hell, vigilantism is what led to this child's slaying. However, in this circumstance I wouldn't be surprised to see vigilante justice, nor would I be particularly sorry to see it.

That may sound hypocritical, but I don't think it is. George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin to death on presumption of guilt based solely on the color of his skin. Regardless of his excuses (he hit me, I was askeered) there is no question that he did it. The only question is why the police seem to be just fine with it.

I'd prefer to see legal justice. Unfortunately that hasn't happened over the course of the last month, nor do I see any evidence that it's on the verge of happening. Do you?

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's interesting that he said he was getting back to his car and Trayvon attacked him, because that's very clearly not what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.