The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quote-Speaking of the Pulitzer, there's a thread on the PA boards in which the [so-called] nominee announced he didn't win.Quote.

I will say that the author who entered his book in the competition wrote a really good book. Pennies on the tracks was excellent. I think he gave up too early on traditional publishing. That book is a winner, and he is a fine writer.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Mdm: Ask these folks (AAA = American Arbitration Association): http://www.adr.org/

Make sure you check their billing schedule first. Do not let them estimate your book's value for you because then they can go for their highest price. Set it at the lowest value you can manage.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Deal, if you cover my mouth when I get all loud and giggly at the verdict and the judge threatens to throw me out. I wouldn't want to miss the slapping on of the cuffs.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Mdm: Ask these folks (AAA = American Arbitration Association): http://www.adr.org/

Maybe show them your contract and they can tell you what to do next.

I've never heard of a PAer who's actually gone the arbitration route, but I do hope you go through with it and let us know how it goes!

Jim, can I sit next to you at the trial? I'll bring extra pens, and a distractingly large hat.
I haven't heard of anyone who's gone to arbitration, either. Which begs the question: what would happen if dozens of the disillusioned were to suddenly, on the same day, at the same time, demand arbitration?

Jenna and Jim, I suspect that courtroom's going to be mighty packed. Someone needs to put a bug in Court TV's ear so those of us who can't get in can see the full spectacle.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Sher2 said:
what would happen if dozens of the disillusioned were to suddenly, on the same day, at the same time, demand arbitration?

Funny, I was just wondering the same thing. Think we should find out?

Dave, what are fees like for arbitration? Looks like there's a spot to file right there online.

-Edit: Aha!

http://www.mediatorindex.com/

This will allow you to search for mediators and see their rates.

I don't know what the process is, but it seems that contacting a couple of mediators with details of your situation would be a good start.

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
From Kristin Godsey at Writer's Digest

This just in... the 2002 PA ad was before Kristin was hired as the editor-in-chief, and she had actually asked the ad team to be sure PA hadn't advertised with them. Apparently the ad was no longer in their records, so she didn't know they ever had. Here's the note she sent back (and agreed to let me post here):

--
Thanks. I'll look into it over here. It's VERY important to me that we don't
include unscrupulous advertisers, but they seem to be getting craftier and
sometimes slip by. That's also why we try to educate our readers on what to
look for before signing up for ANY service, so they can judge for themselves
and not rely on ad copy.

FYI, following is what I tell readers when we get complaints about
advertisers:

Before a company advertises with us, we verify that the company is solvent
and that it delivers the services it promises. We revet advertisers
periodically, but can't do so for each advertiser every issue. We take
reader complaints very seriously, and there have been cases when an
advertiser was prohibited from advertising with us when we found that reader
complaints were justified and that the advertiser made insufficient effort
to correct the problem. Frequently, the complaints result from a
misunderstanding on the reader's part, expecting more than the advertiser
promised to deliver. Our editorial copy often discusses red flags and
outright scams and things that writers should look out for before agreeing
to pay for any editorial service. And while we do evaluate advertisers on
the criteria discussed above, beyond that, we trust our readers to use their
own judgment based on their understanding of the market. We will, however,
look into this matter further to satisfy ourselves about the company's
claims.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Sher2 said:
I'm not sure that such a wickedly resonant piece of literature has been undertaken ... but it wouldn't surprise me. Which does not preclude its being done over and over again. Hey, it's not like they're reading the darn submissions. If anyone wanted to pursue it, far be it from me to attempt to disabuse them of the notion.;)
Hmmmm. Oddly enough, earlier today I was contemplating doing just that, but with a few books of the Bible, in the KJV. Lots of name substitutions. Turn those "begats" into, I dunno, something. "Played Monopoly with," maybe. "Hit on." Something. Plenty of action, should resonate with an audience and fit the PA specialty like a glove.

--Ken

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
JennaGlatzer said:

Maybe show them your contract and they can tell you what to do next.

I've never heard of a PAer who's actually gone the arbitration route, but I do hope you go through with it and let us know how it goes!

Jim, can I sit next to you at the trial? I'll bring extra pens, and a distractingly large hat.
If I'm not mistaken my contract says that this has to be done in Maryland, and has to be handled in person. The reason I think this is because I was thinking to myself that they made it so a person would most likely have to travel to dispute the contract and would discourage people like myself from doing so. My contract is packed but I will see if I can find it later or tomorrow.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Funny, I was just wondering the same thing. Think we should find out?
Of course, I think we should! When have you known me to pass up the opportunity to stir up a little trouble?;)

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
ResearchGuy said:
Hmmmm. Oddly enough, earlier today I was contemplating doing just that, but with a few books of the Bible, in the KJV. Lots of name substitutions. Turn those "begats" into, I dunno, something. "Played Monopoly with," maybe. "Hit on." Something. Plenty of action, should resonate with an audience and fit the PA specialty like a glove.
Is it amazing or what how many minds are thinking alike today?:)

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
Of course, I think we should! When have you known me to pass up the opportunity to stir up a little trouble?;)
Heck little missy, I got my last swat my senior year and got kicked out of Southern Calif. Bible College my second year...I'd be game:D

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
Heck little missy, I got my last swat my senior year and got kicked out of Southern Calif. Bible College my second year...I'd be game:D
You got kicked out of bible college, Mem? Holy crap! You've finally rendered me speechless. You didn't get hit with a lightning bolt or anything, did you? Because I gotta wonder, what did they think of all them herbals at that there bible college? :hooray:

You're on re the arbitration demand. I have some organizing to do. Stay tuned.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
keltora said:
Writer's Digest, September 2002, inside back full page ad for Publish America...

I am holding it in hand at this moment. *g*

And unfortunately...my book is there. I SWEAR I didn't ask them to do it, but I feel like the guy that taught his son to drink, and now he's an alcoholic. I wish it had never run, but...such is life.

John

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
You got kicked out of bible college, Mem? Holy crap! You've finally rendered me speechless. You didn't get hit with a lightning bolt or anything, did you? Because I gotta wonder, what did they think of all them herbals at that there bible college? :hooray:

I found out that they (bible colleges) don't have a very good sense of humor and they don't like people who party and they do not like hippie's! (Even in Ca.) Wow, those were the good ol' days! Gotta eat now...:hi:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
OK, there's definitely a clause saying arbitration has to take place in Maryland. I have to get some sleep (been up for 2 days straight again waiting for calls - UGH), but here's your mission while I'm unconscious:

Someone contact the AAA and find out what needs to be done. Can a claim be filed online, then you need to show up in Maryland on the day of the arbitration hearing?

Can there be a "group arbitration"?

Can an author have a representative in Maryland rather than showing up themselves?

'Course, Jaws probably knows these answers, too.

I'm thinking that we could organize a day trip for those who live within driving distance of Maryland...

Who's on the new POD Squad Arbitration Committee? Go forth and put your research skills to the test!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Sher2 said:
I haven't heard of anyone who's gone to arbitration, either. Which begs the question: what would happen if dozens of the disillusioned were to suddenly, on the same day, at the same time, demand arbitration?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the arbitration clause in the PA contract may not enforceable, due to some reason that Jaws has explained to me several times but each time has vanished from my head within seconds of his explaining it (sorry, Jaws).

- Victoria

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
JennaGlatzer said:
OK, there's definitely a clause saying arbitration has to take place in Maryland. I have to get some sleep (been up for 2 days straight again waiting for calls - UGH), but here's your mission while I'm unconscious:

Someone contact the AAA and find out what needs to be done. Can a claim be filed online, then you need to show up in Maryland on the day of the arbitration hearing?

Can there be a "group arbitration"?

Can an author have a representative in Maryland rather than showing up themselves?

'Course, Jaws probably knows these answers, too.

I'm thinking that we could organize a day trip for those who live within driving distance of Maryland...

Who's on the new POD Squad Arbitration Committee? Go forth and put your research skills to the test!
I've seen something somewhere about procedural questions vis-a-vis arbitration, group arbitration, etc. Let me see if I can dig it out. There are only about 800 or so saved files regarding PA in my computer. Yowza!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
JennaGlatzer said:

Maybe a trip to the Gettysburg Battlefield, too, and a banquet after? That would resonate! Maybe call the Guiness people if it looks like the World's Largest Group Arbitration?

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Maybe a trip to the Gettysburg Battlefield, too, and a banquet after? That would resonate! Maybe call the Guiness people if it looks like the World's Largest Group Arbitration?
But in keeping with tradition, wouldn't it have to be a, ahem, foodless banquet? And no food on the bus to the Battlefield, of course. :poke:

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Sher2 said:

I can beat that.

I got tossed outta Brownies.

:D

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Hey, this is starting to sound like fun....

....can I go, too, and just watch you and Jenna, Uncle Jim? I want to see Jenna's hat, and personally witness the sorrow both of you will feel when some of PA's principles learn that their contract language might be just a bit unsavory...

On the PA front, they've finally changed their "New Releases" page. Looks like about 184 books, but remember that this page hasn't been updated in approximately a couple of weeks. All in all, it looks like PA book production is definitely not what it used to be. Now is not the time to let up, though, we need to turn the screws even tighter, and I feel confident that's exactly what's going to happen.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of cheeseburgers everywhere - The Pickler Knows!

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Kev and ZaZ - The Pickler Knows!

Last edited:

Sheryl Nantus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
JennaGlatzer said:
This just in... the 2002 PA ad was before Kristin was hired as the editor-in-chief, and she had actually asked the ad team to be sure PA hadn't advertised with them. Apparently the ad was no longer in their records, so she didn't know they ever had. Here's the note she sent back (and agreed to let me post here):

--
Thanks. I'll look into it over here. It's VERY important to me that we don't
include unscrupulous advertisers, but they seem to be getting craftier and
sometimes slip by. That's also why we try to educate our readers on what to
look for before signing up for ANY service, so they can judge for themselves
and not rely on ad copy.

FYI, following is what I tell readers when we get complaints about
advertisers:

Before a company advertises with us, we verify that the company is solvent
and that it delivers the services it promises. We revet advertisers
periodically, but can't do so for each advertiser every issue. We take
reader complaints very seriously, and there have been cases when an
advertiser was prohibited from advertising with us when we found that reader
complaints were justified and that the advertiser made insufficient effort
to correct the problem. Frequently, the complaints result from a
misunderstanding on the reader's part, expecting more than the advertiser
promised to deliver. Our editorial copy often discusses red flags and
outright scams and things that writers should look out for before agreeing
to pay for any editorial service. And while we do evaluate advertisers on
the criteria discussed above, beyond that, we trust our readers to use their
own judgment based on their understanding of the market. We will, however,
look into this matter further to satisfy ourselves about the company's
claims.

thanks, Jenna - I'm the fool who signed with them, so me caveat better next time.

but it's good to hear that they've changed their policies.

:Sun:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Sheryl Nantus said:
I can beat that.

I got tossed outta Brownies.

:D
No! Did it have anything to do with the Cub Scouts? Tell! :Hail:

For purposes of staying on topic, I love cheeseburgers with pickles and -- PA royally sucks!

Sheryl Nantus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Sher2 said:
No! Did it have anything to do with the Cub Scouts? Tell! :Hail:

For purposes of staying on topic, I love cheeseburgers with pickles and -- PA royally sucks!

ah... let's just say that I was a bit too... enthusiastic for the rather staid pack I was involved in.

rowdy, I believe is the current term.

*angelic smile*

my mother, however, was mortified.

for some reason.

remind me some time to tell you about being a Guardian Angel.

MUCH better channeling of my energy.

and yes, PA sucks.

anyone following the bookstore thread?

seems someone's asking the tough questions... and Jean Marie is the latest to ask the mouthy ones to put up a business plan or shut up.

it's a Good Thing.

oh, and the new Kim Possible movie rocks.

:Spam:

Status
Not open for further replies.