Using the past in novels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfdreamer25

Registered
Reaction score
I was curious about something because I want to know if other writers do this too. I use bits of my past in novels with completely different characters not similar to anyone that was or is in my life. I do use the situations like love lost, and heartbreak. It helps me heal. Does anyone else do this, and has it helped you move on from it?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every writer draws upon their life experiences to date.

If doing so happens to heal or ease the residual pain or hurt from any particularly unpleasant memories - that's an added benefit and a good thing.

Some folk deliberately write about painful memories and experiences (not necessarily for publication) in the hope of obtaining some cathartic release.

Anything that helps one realise that an unpleasant past - or the nasty characters in one's past -should not be allowed to dominate and control one's future is good. One should be in control of one's own future.

Last edited:

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Absolutely. There are big chunks of me in just about everything that I write. The easiest way to get inside the skin of a character is to be there already.

One of my hobbies is to look for I-guys in other people's work. That's the character that the author has included because they represent the author. Hint: it's often the most successful character and/or the one that gets the most sex. ;-)

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I think there's a little bit of every writer in their novels. I like to take a real situation and fictionalize it to death. I have a couple of published short stories like this, and people ask me if it really happened. Well, just the idea happened, not the actual event as I wrote it.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Absolutely.

I love this quote from Tennessee Williams: "My work is emotionally autobiographical. It had no relationship to the actual events of my life, but it reflects the emotional currents of my life."

ETA: I don't find it cathartic, though. It's actually really painful. But I feel if my work is going to have a lot of emotion in it, it's gotta come from somewhere....

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use my own experiences in my work in order to move on; I use them because I have first-hand knowledge and it lends authenticity to the work.

Regardless of the reason, I believe every writer draws on their personal experience for their fiction.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I don't use my own experiences in my work in order to move on; I use them because I have first-hand knowledge and it lends authenticity to the work.

Regardless of the reason, I believe every writer draws on their personal experience for their fiction.

Authenticity is the point. Where else is it gonna come from? We're not creating anything- just imitating, interpreting ... rearranging.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
For sure. My main characters are typically the best and worst of me. Supporting characters are generally the best and worst of people I've encountered.

This shit comes from somewhere, right? Is it random creation? Nah, not for me, at least. It's subconscious experiences and emotions tossed into fictionalized settings and situations.

Lyx

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I have put 'incidents' from my past in a few of my stories. Only those close to me, family or friends, would recognize them. Did it help me deal with certain issues? I never have thought about it that way. Maybe so.

Browland86

Registered
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons it's sometimes awkward for me sharing stories with my family, because they'll recognize things they've said or familiar characteristics and say, oh, you're writing about us. And yes, I may borrow situations or dialogue or traits from real life to use in my stories, but that doesn't mean that this character is my brother, and this one is my mom, etc.

I have to say that my family does provide a lot of rich material, though--especially my grandparents. There are a lot of crazy family stories that I'm only learning now that I'm grown.

Browland86

Registered
Reaction score
This shit comes from somewhere, right? Is it random creation? Nah, not for me, at least. It's subconscious experiences and emotions tossed into fictionalized settings and situations.

Lyx

I agree with this. Maybe just subconsciously I lift situations from real life to use in my writing. My WIP deals with a lot of the emotions I felt when I was younger, even though the characters are very different from me (I think, at least). Maybe it's sort of a way to work out the feelings of confusion and alienation I felt as a teen.

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use my personal experiences/past/present in my stuff. I can see why some people find it cathartic, but seeing as how I'm both introverted and have little desire to remember many past events, I keep it out of my life.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't let's get too hung up on the cathartic side of things -I would imagine that doesn't even figure in the 'my fifty reasons for writing' list for the vast majority of folk.

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Don't let's get too hung up on the cathartic side of things -I would imagine that doesn't even figure in the 'my fifty reasons for writing' list for the vast majority of folk.

I know you were talking majority which is very likely to be true. I just wanted to say that it is my number one reason for writing. And I am currently writing using several past experiences and some emotions I had at different moments. I had always wanted to write, but I only started pursuing it like I am now after a close childhood friend died.

Wolfdreamer, I think what you're doing is very normal and useful. You can't talk about what you don't know about, at least very well.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
There are definitely bits of my life in my work, but everything gets changed a lot. And I don't write for catharsis.

Though there is actually a massive amount of wish fulfillment in my WIP, mostly related to something very traumatic that happened in my life. I didn't realize it until I'd finished the first draft (which I started 5 months after said event). And I don't think it would be obvious to someone who didn't know me that it was wish fulfillment.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Remember that your past isn't just what you've done. It includes everything you've ever seen or read or imagined. How could you write about anything except your past?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I include real people and real events like crazy. My responsibility, imho, is to the reader, though. No wish-fulfillment and nothing personal has been cathartic, no.

I do get a sense of purpose about the themes and what the stories really say, though. I find that cathartic, in a way. Mostly the ideas are for one form of entertainment or another, though.

My bad poetry is for catharsis or rants :) And it's not for public consumption, except when I used to give it away as lyrics, where it found a happy home, surprisingly! My angst was good for something :D

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I write for catharsis. It only makes sense for me to want to act out in writing rather than in real life. In writing, the bad guys get their just desserts. In real life, I'm still waiting to hear on that!

TNTales

Registered
Reaction score
My characters all have facets of my personality, little bits here and there. And I've definitely dipped into the well of my history. Just remember to change the names so an ex on facebook decides to stalk you.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I think, since most of my books are primarily about people, I definitely take not only from life but from people I have come to know. You're sort of forced to as a writer, or at least I am. It's what keeps it interesting for me, and it's how I use my writing to explore myself and the world around me.

EmmersonGrant

Lawful Good
Registered
Reaction score
I have two short stories that reveal way too much from me. I've talked about the first one with folks, but the second one is still under wraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.