Character traits or types that get you every time

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
If you think you can write and sell a good story with a paedophile as your main character - good luck to you..

The Woodman, the play and the movie. Just brilliant work, brave writing, made me think. I like writing that makes me think.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I like misunderstood characters. I also like seemingly good guys who turn out to be deeply flawed, perhaps more flawed than the "bad guy". I also like ambitious characters.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Ok....

To answer the OP.

I have no idea. I guess there isn't one trait or group of traits I gravitate to. The protags of the novels I've enjoyed are all vastly different. To me, they can be flawed, or near perfect, it doesn't matter as long as the story is interesting.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think as long as someone isn't generically evil, you know, black hat, twirling mustache, or generically good with a white hat that helps little old ladies cross the street, I enjoy the character.

It's all about depth I think.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like misunderstood characters. I also like seemingly good guys who turn out to be deeply flawed, perhaps more flawed than the "bad guy". I also like ambitious characters.

Do you like the inverse, of the bad guy who has some very strong redeming qualities, just not redeeming enough?

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Going back to the OP - Characters that acts as mentors are also nice, as long as they're not too arrogant. Like when the MC is the leader/boss in a group or the elder in a family.

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
OP: my favorite characters are ones that are completely mundane and unremarkable until the plot forces them to discover their inner strength.

Pedo-characters: No. Just, no. Along with rapists, child molesters and pedophiles are character types I expect to see eviscerated. If they aren't, I'll likely be disgusted and never read that author again. There is no punishment harsh enough for those people.

MVK

Registered
Reaction score
Characters with depth. Such as bad guys who don't see themselves as bad. Sure, outright fiends can be fun as well, but in general bad guys don't think "Wow, I'm so evil." They think they have good reasons for everything they do.

Equally, good guys who struggle and make mistakes are also fun and for the same reasons.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I love a free spirit. Never written an MC that way, but I do appreciate it when one shows up in the books. That's probably why I love so much of the beat generation literature.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Do you like the inverse, of the bad guy who has some very strong redeming qualities, just not redeeming enough?

Yes, I love those as well :D I really like Karenin in Anna Karenina, even though he's meant to be the baddie :)

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
You know, when I started this thread I was hoping for some positive inspiration. The ongoing debate is interesting, but perhaps it deserves it's own thread?

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
You know, when I started this thread I was hoping for some positive inspiration. The ongoing debate is interesting, but perhaps it deserves it's own thread?
Since the "other" discussion got sent to the landfill, I'll repost my response.

Characters with strong principles.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
And since it's safe to tread in here again, I'll note that I just got back from The Avengers movie, and whatever mysterious quantity it is that spontaneously melts me into a pathetic puddle of fangirl-drool, the villain Loki from that movie sure had it.

Purrrrr...

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
I like it when a character is tramatized and the writer allows the character to go through the scars of the tragedy. I hate it when a character goes through something horrible and they just brush it off like it's no big deal. ARG!!!

So we have a thread on characteristics you can't stand in an MC, but what about those you love? What traits are you attracted to?

I'll go first.

I love neurotic characters that talk a lot, especially if they're flippant and verbal and witty to hide their deep emotional pain. I also like evil characters who reveal a sudden and unexpected soft or good side - and then go back to being evil.

And you?

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
And since it's safe to tread in here again, I'll note that I just got back from The Avengers movie, and whatever mysterious quantity it is that spontaneously melts me into a pathetic puddle of fangirl-drool, the villain Loki from that movie sure had it.

Purrrrr...

Ooh, glad I'm not the only one. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.