Weak characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamond egis

interring peace
Registered
Reaction score
Where there is strength, there is weakness, no? It can be alluded to and slowly engaged, either triumphed in the end or all consuming...

PPartisan

<><'ing for compliments
Registered
Reaction score
Website
werdpressed.wordpress.com
Weak characters have a proud history in Western fiction, and there's no doubt that it's often the flaws in someone that make them interesting. Most of the characters on my blog are what you would call "weak"; people who are overcome by the world or who have took one too many knocks.

The war novel The Things They Carried is great for this, and such a fantastic piece of literature. Then there are characters who are neither, such as Mersault in The Outsider, that you could maybe call weak in the sense that they aren't strong.

Ps: I just remembered Dostoyevsky's The Idiot, one of my teenage favs.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
It seems that in much of Western literature, there is a preference for strong characters. When I hear praise for a character, I've lost track of how often it's due to his or her "strength." I don't mean strength in terms of being well-written or being "three dimensional" or being physically strong. But in terms of attitude, resolve, will, and these sorts of things. People seem to like reading about characters who know what they want and take control of their own destiny, and when trials and tribulations arise, they face them head-on and push forward. They make their own decisions and fight for what they value. They have flaws, maybe many of them, but they struggle to overcome them. They are active and drive the story forward. In this way, they are "strong" characters.

But I'm getting tired of that.

I want to read about weak characters. I want to read about a main character who can't find the strength to do anything. I want to read about a character who gives up. I want to read about a character who can't overcome his flaws. I want to read about a character who doesn't have the will to keep fighting. I want to read about a character who, when the going gets tough, runs away. I want a character who keeps refusing the call. I want a character who can't save the maiden. I want a character who can't even save himself. I want to read about a character who is passive, who doesn't know how to control his own destiny, and is dragged forward, kicking and screaming, by the story. I want to read about a character who struggles to make a single decision, and when he does make one, it's the wrong one. I want to read about a character who, in this way, is "weak."

I don't even care if he or she becomes a strong character by the end of it. Of course I want some kind of growth and satisfying resolution, but I don't care if the character becomes strong. Maybe he just comes to terms with his weakness. Or maybe he finally makes a decision, even if it's the wrong one. Or maybe he just realizes that he can't stay like this forever. Maybe he just gets a little less weak.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else want to read about strong-as-in-well-written-and-interesting weak characters like I do, but can't seem to find very much fiction written about them? Is anyone else sick of "strong," active characters?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts. It just seems to me like everyone praises strong characters, and no one ever has anything good to say about weak or passive characters.

Kuw,

I bought a book by my English teacher, out of curiosity...it was "White Crosses" by Larry Watson. I'm not sure if it is what you mean, the MC does his best to whitewash a small-town scandal by a handful of lies but doesn't do much beyond ponder his boring marriage. "Montana 1948" was a somewhat similar theme and another very reluctant/vacillating hero. His brother is accused of a crime, and he does his best to first deny, then finally deal with it. Same author. Both "do something" but take their sweet-ass time getting around to it.

Do those sound at all like what you're getting at?

edit: on re-reading, especially, "White Crosses" sounds like it is in your vein. PM me your addy, if you like, and I will send it out--I'd be curious to your take on if this is "litfic" and if that's why I found it so damn boring....I like me some chases, not just a boatload of mopey introspection, BUT that seems like it might be what you were seeking.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In genre fiction, specifically fantasy, I wonder if Vanyel, Mercedes Lackey's main character in Magic's Pawn, would fit your bill. He's a teenager/young adult, gay, with no sense of self-worth for almost all of the book. Events push him around and he does spend most of his time trying to hide from life.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree entirely with the question at hand here. I think many characters in literature today are indeed emotionally and morally weak, and I much prefer them that way. Who wants to read about somebody who does everything right? Bleh.

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
Being strong or weak doesn't even always mean physically strong or weak. It can also be a reference to how well the character is developed by the author. And a lot of people will agree there are a lot of 'weak' characters out in liturature today.

Jinbei

a baby shark
Registered
Reaction score
ah, so you mean a coward character, everybody always busy saving his life, including the maiden that used to be saved, eventualy save him instead? an "annoying" character that good for nothing, but somehow people think he's a hero?
and the reader still like him, support him?

how does it sounds?

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Came across this quote by Ken Follett today and remembered this discussion: “You can’t write novels about people who are timid, risk-averse and passive. Or you can, but they’re called literary novels.”

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
I don't mind stories like that, but I don't like it when the character whines and complains, and fusses about how bad he has it and how bad his life is and everything sucks, blah, blah . .. . blah!! Oh get over it!!!

It seems that in much of Western literature, there is a preference for strong characters. When I hear praise for a character, I've lost track of how often it's due to his or her "strength." I don't mean strength in terms of being well-written or being "three dimensional" or being physically strong. But in terms of attitude, resolve, will, and these sorts of things. People seem to like reading about characters who know what they want and take control of their own destiny, and when trials and tribulations arise, they face them head-on and push forward. They make their own decisions and fight for what they value. They have flaws, maybe many of them, but they struggle to overcome them. They are active and drive the story forward. In this way, they are "strong" characters.

But I'm getting tired of that.

I want to read about weak characters. I want to read about a main character who can't find the strength to do anything. I want to read about a character who gives up. I want to read about a character who can't overcome his flaws. I want to read about a character who doesn't have the will to keep fighting. I want to read about a character who, when the going gets tough, runs away. I want a character who keeps refusing the call. I want a character who can't save the maiden. I want a character who can't even save himself. I want to read about a character who is passive, who doesn't know how to control his own destiny, and is dragged forward, kicking and screaming, by the story. I want to read about a character who struggles to make a single decision, and when he does make one, it's the wrong one. I want to read about a character who, in this way, is "weak."

I don't even care if he or she becomes a strong character by the end of it. Of course I want some kind of growth and satisfying resolution, but I don't care if the character becomes strong. Maybe he just comes to terms with his weakness. Or maybe he finally makes a decision, even if it's the wrong one. Or maybe he just realizes that he can't stay like this forever. Maybe he just gets a little less weak.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else want to read about strong-as-in-well-written-and-interesting weak characters like I do, but can't seem to find very much fiction written about them? Is anyone else sick of "strong," active characters?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts. It just seems to me like everyone praises strong characters, and no one ever has anything good to say about weak or passive characters.

thepopeofbeers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookfart.blogspot.com
I love reading about characters who can't save anyone, least of all themselves. If you're still looking for "weak" literature, I definitely recommend A Prayer for the Dying by Stewart O'Nan. The prose is stark and beautiful, and the book as a whole is terribly sad.

Here's the book description from Amazon.com:

Set in Friendship, Wisconsin, just after the Civil War, A Prayer for the Dying tells of a horrible epidemic that is suddenly and gruesomely killing the town's residents and setting off a terrifying paranoia. Jacob Hansen, Friendship's sheriff, undertaker, and pastor, is soon overwhelmed by the fear and anguish around him, and his sanity begins to fray. Dark, poetic, and chilling, A Prayer for the Dying examines the effect of madness and violence on the morality of a once-decent man.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't thought about this enough to have a darn thing to contribute yet but I wanted to come in and say that this thread gave me a lot to think about, which is awesome.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't characterize what I'm talking about as underdogs. Underdogs can still be strong in the sense I'm talking about and put up a fight; I more mean characters that don't even bother to fight, that run away instead.

I just wonder if an mc who is constantly running away could hold a person's interest for an entire book? How much running are you talking? I think there still has to be some kind of growth.
I personally loved flawed characters... even weak ones, but I think you'd need to raise the bar each time they react to a challenge. Someone cowering in the corner ever minute would get a little old after a few chapters, I think. Also, in real life, not many people can tolerate somebody who is only whinging or offering excuses every five seconds so I'm not sure people would pay for that experience in a book.
This is a difficult one, but I wish you well. A good challenge, actually (sorry, I can't remember if you are writing this yourself or you just want to read stories like this). But good luck anyway. :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Came across this quote by Ken Follett today and remembered this discussion: “You can’t write novels about people who are timid, risk-averse and passive. Or you can, but they’re called literary novels.”

I pretty much only read literary fiction. So yeah.

This is a difficult one, but I wish you well. A good challenge, actually (sorry, I can't remember if you are writing this yourself or you just want to read stories like this). But good luck anyway. :)

I'm not sure it's all that difficult. It's just contrary to most of the advice one hears around here, which is often aimed at genre fiction. Most of the fiction I read and television shows I most enjoy most and most impact me are about the kind weak characters I've described.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
In trying to find other novelists like Haruki Murakami, I discovered David Mitchell recently. I have to say, in reading the first chapter of number9dream, in which the narrator constantly imagines all the awesome things he's about to do, only to chicken out each time, and the whole chapter ending with nothing at all actually happening, I kept thinking yes, yes, this is awesome! I was delighted when nothing had happened by the end of the first chapter.

I also enjoy Bret Easton Ellis's and Kazuo Ishiguro protagonists. And many more from anime that really fit the kind of "weak protagonist" I love. As I explained to someone recently via PM, I feel Western literature gives too much attention to heroic, strong characters, and tends to neglect the kinds of passive, weak characters that I tend to find so much more interesting (and can relate to much better).

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's all that difficult. It's just contrary to most of the advice one hears around here, which is often aimed at genre fiction. Most of the fiction I read and television shows I most enjoy most and most impact me are about the kind weak characters I've described.

Television works because it is a slice of life. Personally, I do enjoy weak characters on tv, but they are usually surrounded by an assortment of varied personalities that make it work. I still think (and I read a lot of literary novels as well as commercial) that growth is needed to hold interest.
That's what I meant by difficult - to hold one's interest right to the end. It wouldn't be easy.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
In trying to find other novelists like Haruki Murakami, I discovered David Mitchell recently. I have to say, in reading the first chapter of number9dream, in which the narrator constantly imagines all the awesome things he's about to do, only to chicken out each time, and the whole chapter ending with nothing at all actually happening, I kept thinking yes, yes, this is awesome! I was delighted when nothing had happened by the end of the first chapter.

I think the fact that he is dreaming and wants things is appealing. I wouldn't really call him passive or weak, just fearful.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say, in reading the first chapter of number9dream

The last paragraph of that chapter, which was the spark--or the Zapdos thunderbolt, actually--that detonated all the tension the chapter set up, my goodness. Rocked my fucking world. Especially the sentence, "I swear." Kind of awesome how a simple sentence like that can convey/reinforce emotion so well. Whoa, I really just used a Pokemon metaphor.

edit: Hmm, he's most reminiscent of Satoru from the second chapter of Ghostwritten, which I'm not sure if you've read. The MC of the "Holy Mountain" chapter is one of his most passive characters, and Jason Taylor from Black Swan Green is on the weak side.

Some of David Mitchell's stylistic quirks would make those who Play By The Rulebook wince. E.g., this sentence, from n9d:

Cicadas muzzzmezzzmezzzmezzzmezzzmuzzzzzzzzz.

edit 2: I'm a bit surprised that more stories and novels with internal focalization don't have much fantasizing. It's a big part of human experience. n9d-length episodes in everything could be a bit much, but a couple to several sentences sprinkled here and there wouldn't be unreasonable. It's an efficient way to characterize and to convey attitudes and emotions. Picture someone who is socially awkward imagining the Doomsday scenarios he feels will occur during certain interactions, someone who has been exploited indulging in revenge fantasies, or a bored high school student imagining the teacher she hates as a donkey with a human head. Fun stuff. :)

Last edited:

veschke

Tortoise
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thismustbetheplace-rjs.blogspot.com
Interesting thread. Good reminder that there are all kinds of tastes out there. I can't stand passivity, and it definitely does not fly in genre fiction.

I did nod at your reference to anime, where it often seems that there is a hapless "hero" character who is pushed through the plot by a cadre of assistants/romantic interests. I am under the impression, though, that such a plot is usually supposed to be funny.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score

I also enjoy Bret Easton Ellis's and Kazuo Ishiguro protagonists. And many more from anime that really fit the kind of "weak protagonist" I love. As I explained to someone recently via PM, I feel Western literature gives too much attention to heroic, strong characters, and tends to neglect the kinds of passive, weak characters that I tend to find so much more interesting (and can relate to much better).

maybe check out Larry Watson on Amazon at least then, and get a feel. The Sherriff in White Crosses really is a weak character trying to hold his shit marginally together

Status
Not open for further replies.