Is there room for a real life, Earth world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
My first two books were set in a real-world (historically accurate) ancient Egypt. My most recent novel is set in modern-day rural Idaho. So yes, lots of people are still writing in those settings.

You'd be hard-pressed to know this on the basis of the majority of posts here.

caw

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
You'd be hard-pressed to know this on the basis of the majority of posts here.

caw

So, do you mean the majority of the posts in the forum? In this section of the forum? In this thread?

In this thread I (rough and dirty) count 13-4 real world locations and 3-4 fantastical ones.

I'm sorry...what was the question again?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
So, do you mean the majority of the posts in the forum? In this section of the forum? In this thread?

In this thread I (rough and dirty) count 13-4 real world locations and 3-4 fantastical ones.

I'm sorry...what was the question again?

Go check the subforums in Share Your Work. In SYW, the SF/Fantasy subforum has 3X the number of threads of any other genre. Also the threads in Query Letter Hell.

caw

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
What about you? Where does it take place? Does it matter?

I've never been into the fantasy genre, and therefore my work has never needed to take place outside of this planet. I don't think it's as simple as "picking a town and winging it", there's a lot of research and often a specific reason why I pick a setting, but it's always been on this planet, usually in my country.

I've got two WIPs that I'm working on, one that takes place all over the US (it involves a couple of musicians on tour) and another that takes place in Des Moines, Iowa.

As for whether or not setting matters, I would say it absolutely does. If used right, where a book takes place can be a driving force for that piece. It can make it the heart of the thing, and if the author creates a really good setting, he/she can get away with a lot of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.