What's the right word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hill

Registered
Reaction score
I love rare and interesting words - but sometimes in a novel the temptation can be to use them when they don't really fit in. Is the best word the fancy one or the most apt in the context - and, by the way, what's your favourite word?
This is also the subject of my blog today
http://songoftheseagod.wordpress.com/

Ed Panther

Banned
Reaction score
The most apt one in context.

I love words like essence, emotion, God, art, truly, irrational, scumbag, grout, changed, juxtaposition, etc.. I love lots of words.

Chris Hill

Registered
Reaction score
It's the sound often isn't it? And the way the sound links with the meaning - not necessarily in an onomatopoeic way - but just something which suggests the spirit of the word.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Abbondanza! Quintessential! Both good words. The language I think has to stay true to the world you're in though. Haven't found an opportunity to use either yet.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Zanzibar and lapis lazuli are favorites of mine. Really :) Something about the z's, I think.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
It's the sound often isn't it? And the way the sound links with the meaning - not necessarily in an onomatopoeic way - but just something which suggests the spirit of the word.

I also like the word 'silver' because it somehow acts like silver: it's shiny, and slips out of the mouth like an oiled pebble.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Cuspidor. A beautiful word for a container of spit.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
I don't know. Maybe it's possible to love a word too much. Sometimes I see a piece of writing studded with lots of gnarly words, and I can't help feeling that the writer is trying just a tad too hard.

It's like a gibbous moon. Lovely word. Rolls across the tongue. But on the page? Can sometimes come across as pretentious.

I've been editing recently and have put a lot of red lines through words which I absolutely adored when I wrote them, but with hindsight ... maybe not.

Chris Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Gnarly - like that too
it depends on the voice you are writing in I suppose - which words work in the context

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Voice/POV is everything to me when making a word choice. I like, for instance, evanescent a lot, but ephemeral is also cool and yet my character might think fleeting or short-lived or maybe even not long for this life, dude.

I do love a word that feels or sounds like its meaning. Drudge. Spit. Acerbic (somehow a tart word). And I like foreign words that we use that just seem fun to my English language ears, like rutabaga or haboob. Or that rhyme internally. And I fall in love with words for their etymology, like with avocado, originally Nahuatl for "testicle."

And there are a few words I irrationally dislike, for they've never done a thing to me. Dilapidated is one. How it got on my bad side, I can't explain.

JCedonia

Registered
Reaction score
lorna_w said:
And there are a few words I irrationally dislike, for they've never done a thing to me. Dilapidated is one. How it got on my bad side, I can't explain

I actually like dilapidated, although I can't say why. I never use it, though.

Of course, I like a lot of big, fancy words, that I never use. I don't like using words I'm not entirely sure how to pronounce. See them lots, never hear them used in everyday conversation in MS.

Anonymous. Geode. Spruce. I like those words too.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The apt word is the right word, imo.

I love azackly. What? it's totally a word!

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I love the word 'eloquent'. Beautiful and expressive. I actually have to be careful not to use it much, because I would.

I love language and words, but I don't get very fancy in my writing unless the word is pitch-perfect. You can express a lot simply, and I'm of the school that if you can, you should.

Ctairo

Why Isn't IGNORE Available in RL?
Registered
Reaction score
I've grown fond of sesquipedalian. I haven't used it though.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I like the word lugubrious, although I don't think I've ever actually used it in a story. I like to say it. I like how it sounds precisely as it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.