I'll take your writing rules and raise you an adverb

Status
Not open for further replies.

squalorcat

Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell you how how much writing advice I've amassed over the years (mostly from non-writers who think they are being helpful). No adverbs; simple dialogue tags; MCs that don't make you want to gauge out your eyes with a spoon.

Sigh.

I'm not disputing that it pays to know the system before you break it. Ch-ch-check yo self before you wreck yo self.

But I also believe that you can pledge allegiance to that system and still churn out something YOU don't even want to re-read. I think I believe in writing as well as you can and trying to improve your craft, always. That being said, I really like it (I mean, really like it) when I'm reading a book and realize halfway through they've broken all the rules and it's awesome.

I'm halfway through Joseph Heller's Catch-22, and I think he put it best when he said, "When I read something saying I've not done anything as good as 'Catch-22' I'm tempted to reply, 'Who has?'" That baby is jam packed with adverbs and it's easily one of the best novels I've ever read.

Any other examples?

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... while I respect writers who break rules and really admire them I can't stand their books for the most part. They're difficult to impossible to understand, for me at least, and I usually fling them down in frustration. I wish they'd just say what they had to say in a conventional way. But again, I do respect the writers and do realize that they write for readers who are more intelligent and knowledgeable than me. So if there is anyone at fault I suppose it's me.

squalorcat

Registered
Reaction score
They're difficult to impossible to understand, for me at least, and I usually fling them down in frustration. I wish they'd just say what they had to say in a conventional way. But again, I do respect the writers and do realize that they write for readers who are more intelligent and knowledgeable than me.

I'll play devil's advocate against myself. I'd argue authors like Mephenie Steyer break several 'rules' per sentence, but that doesn't stop their books from being extremely accessible to readers of all levels.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
There are tons of examples. And not a one of them will help someone who is trying to traditionally publish his first novel TODAY get past the gatekeepers.

You're right -- keeping to every "rule" 100% of the time can result in a dry boring book. It takes time to figure out, though, when those rules should and shouldn't be broken -- when you are helping or hindering your own work. The problem with focusing on examples of people who did it differently is that too many people will use that as an excuse to break the rules without understanding them, and then they get frustrated when their novels aren't published.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell you how how much writing advice I've amassed over the years (mostly from non-writers who think they are being helpful). No adverbs; simple dialogue tags; MCs that don't make you want to gauge out your eyes with a spoon.

Sigh.

I'm not disputing that it pays to know the system before you break it. Ch-ch-check yo self before you wreck yo self.

But I also believe that you can pledge allegiance to that system and still churn out something YOU don't even want to re-read. I think I believe in writing as well as you can and trying to improve your craft, always. That being said, I really like it (I mean, really like it) when I'm reading a book and realize halfway through they've broken all the rules and it's awesome.

I'm halfway through Joseph Heller's Catch-22, and I think he put it best when he said, "When I read something saying I've not done anything as good as 'Catch-22' I'm tempted to reply, 'Who has?'" That baby is jam packed with adverbs and it's easily one of the best novels I've ever read.

Any other examples?

I don't know anyone who says NO adverbs. Too many adverbs makes for poor writing, however, and new writers tend to use far too many.

But let me ask you this, is Catch-22 one of the best novels you've ever read because it contains a lot of adverbs, or because it's a great story with great characters?

squalorcat

Registered
Reaction score
The problem with focusing on examples of people who did it differently is that too many people will use that as an excuse to break the rules without understanding them, and then they get frustrated when their novels aren't published.

Interesting point!

I wouldn't ever use another book as an excuse for my own writing, or justify my writing through another person's work. Your writing is YOURS (presumably). Surely it shouldn't be justified by something else, but justifiable in itself?

squalorcat

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anyone who says NO adverbs. Too many adverbs makes for poor writing, however, and new writers tend to use far too many.

But let me ask you this, is Catch-22 one of the best novels you've ever read because it contains a lot of adverbs, or because it's a great story with great characters?

All of the above. Mostly the adverbs (and I'm only kind of joking) :p

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'll play devil's advocate against myself. I'd argue authors like Mephenie Steyer break several 'rules' per sentence, but that doesn't stop their books from being extremely accessible to readers of all levels.

... neat how you reversed things. In a way you've got a point. (Don't care for the pun though. No need for that.)

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Rules are different beasts for a novice and a master. A novice breaks them unknowingly, and her work suffers. A master breaks them deliberately, and her work becomes art.

...not trying to be aphoristic, I swear.

Burl Kenneth Sloan

Registered
Reaction score
...is Catch-22 one of the best novels you've ever read because it contains a lot of adverbs, or because it's a great story with great characters?

Excellent point. Great story, great characters. Not because of the adverbs, but I also never felt constrained or tasked by them.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Wolf Hall, by Hilary Mantel, winner of the 2009 Man Booker prize, starts like this:

"So now get up."

Felled, dazed, silent, he has fallen; knocked full length on the cobbles of the yard. His head turns sideways; his eyes are turned towards the gate, as if someone might arrive to help him out. One blow, properly placed, could kill him now.

If we look at this with rules in mind, there are several elements here that might jar. It's normally not a good idea to have three adjectives in a row (felled, dazed, fallen). There is a lot of repetition - felled/ has fallen and turns/ turned.

It is not clear who the "he" of this piece is (an issue which recurs throughout the book).

I find the sentence structure a bit clunky. We have two consecutive sentences which include a semi-colon.

There is a mish-mash of tenses. Has fallen - turns - his eyes are turned.

There is an absence of feeling and emotion. Apart from "dazed", all the other words describe his physical situation rather than how he is feeling. It all seems curiously distant.

And yet it's an effective piece of writing which draws you into the book. Perhaps we can make a case for the discordant elements because they fit with the sensation of being beaten?

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of think the "rulez" are just like...when you first learn to ski as a kid, and they tell you to make french fries and pizzas (or pies, depending on the school) so that you don't kill yourself while you're getting a feel for things. That's not how you ACTUALLY ski. But you don't learn how to actually ski until you can be on them without falling over and figure out how to turn them and stuff. Once you get past the forced awkward unnaturalness, you can do whatever the hell you feel like (within reason, I mean, you can't just spread your legs out and point your face at a crevasse, or you DO die).

Okay, I mean, that's a...wildly imperfect metaphor. But what I mean is... It's mostly good advice and helped me strengthen my writing throughout the past few months of noobness (not that they're over or anything), but it's not how you craft a story. It's how you avoid smashing your face into some other kid's helmet on the bunny hill. ...Or something.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I love Catch-22 too. I'm not sure how it'd fare in today's market, though.

What's that line from POTC? They're more sort of guidelines. When we start getting to 'rules' like convoluting your sentences into knots to avoid harmless verbs like 'to be' or giving you a quota of thats per page, forget about it.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
There's a lot of poor advice about (a lot of good advice too, of course). Reading widely helps you to understand for yourself whether any particular advice has merit. It doesn't take long, for example, to recognise that there's no such thing as a 'no adverbs' rule.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I love Catch-22 too. I'm not sure how it'd fare in today's market, though.

Yes, this is part of the problem with comparing books from 40, 50, or more years ago and people always asking if they would sell in today's market, as written.

I remember my first agent could not sell my work because she said I was 20 years too late and that if this was the 80's she would have been able to sell it with no problem. Reading styles do change, and with them, some of the so called rules change...

Still, great books tend to be great book no matter when they were published.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
As the same with writing, nothing is wrong or right. There is only specific regulations for the best effects.

I say when a writer is good, they can write and tell you anything and make it work. The job of the writer is to make other read and understand what they say. So when that writer is good enough, he can just make anything snap; with or without the rules.

magicmint

Registered
Reaction score
Rules are different beasts for a novice and a master. A novice breaks them unknowingly, and her work suffers. A master breaks them deliberately, and her work becomes art.

...not trying to be aphoristic, I swear.

I like this.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent point. Great story, great characters. Not because of the adverbs, but I also never felt constrained or tasked by them.

No, and as a reader, that's fine. As a writer, however, you have to ask yourself constantly, "Is this the best possible way I could write this sentence?"

Browland86

Registered
Reaction score
This is sort of related to an issue I'm having. I've just read Self-Editing for Fiction Writers and now I'm hyper conscious of adverbs. I find myself censoring myself as I write because I'm afraid to use adverbs. But some adverbs are okay, right? Sometimes they're necessary to get the meaning across. But I need to find a way to write freely without worrying about editing until the end. Has anyone else ever felt like this?

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
This is sort of related to an issue I'm having. I've just read Self-Editing for Fiction Writers and now I'm hyper conscious of adverbs. I find myself censoring myself as I write because I'm afraid to use adverbs. But some adverbs are okay, right? Sometimes they're necessary to get the meaning across. But I need to find a way to write freely without worrying about editing until the end. Has anyone else ever felt like this?

Put your hands up and get down on the ground--you're under arrest for grand felony adverbing.

Yes, some adverbs are okay necessary. Read some novels and study how often they are used, and watch out for the adverbs that don't end in -ly.

Last edited:

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't read it. Does SEfFW explain the difference between good and bad usage? Does it provide examples of each?

Browland86

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read it. Does SEfFW explain the difference between good and bad usage? Does it provide examples of each?

It does. I probably need to reread that section after I've finished my first draft and worry about revising then.

Thanks for the responses.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
If I knew for 100% certain today that I would never get published if I used too many adverbs, I'd just put the whole novel up on the web. I don't enjoy writing if I can't describe freely, I get too hung up on whether the reader is actually seeing what the story needs them to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.