Too similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot the past couple of days. I'm taking part in an online writing class and my reviewers have been very helpful. I've been unanimously told that I have an amazing character voice and the humor, pace, and fun are all there. They love my main character, but they seem to be worried that it's too close to the Dresden Files...what if they are right? My MC is a P.I., he's a wise-ass, broke, and I even have a Bob-like character with a ghost that speaks through and old radio. The story-line and flow are certainly different; main characters die, people do drugs, my language is a lot rougher, and the story really takes a turn for the worse right off the bat. Are these differences enough? Do I wait until an agent tells me this? I'm just wondering how worried I should be about it being to similar. In all honestly I was going for "alike but different" it's the type of book that I as a Dresden Files fan would like to pick up.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
i haven't read the dresden files, or your book, but the bit about the ghost even, it sounds, well, what if I said I was writing a angsty teen vampire book with sparkly vampires and a clumsy human girl and werewolves, but it was set in Newfoundland, and the vampires were inuit while the werewolves were "white folks"....would that seem off to you?

and knowing that many folks pointed it out, can't you work on some other project less seemingly derivative? you said you set out to write the book you'd want to read, surely there must be more to that than "I only like dresden, but wish he swore more," which may or may not reflect your book, but is sort of how you phrased it here....

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
I do have other ideas, but this one has been very fun to write and I'd hate not to finish it. Maybe by worrying I'm making it seem worse than it is. Two reviewers stated that it had the Dresden Files feel, but a third stated that it was too close for comfort and I really reeled from that. I'd never even thought to worry about that, because any similarities were not done purposefully (I wanted the feel, but certainly not a clone, the story I want to tell is a far cry from any of Butcher's). I've thought about changing the MC into an actually police officer rather than a P.I. and I suppose (though it would pain me) that I could do away with the ghost, but I guess I'm wondering if I really need to? I'd certainly never change the characters voice, that's what I've gotten the most compliments on, but with the UF market as saturated as it is do I need to call it quits on anything resembling the DF even remotely? In my opinion I don't that my MC is like Harry, but if the first few pages make it seem that way I might be in trouble.

EDIT: Really this has kind of opened my eyes and the ghost really has to go and I honestly think I'll have to change the story to work with Derek being an officer rather than a P.I. I guess I just hadn't realized how influenced I was by Butcher until they decided to point it out to me. The rest of the story may work on its own, but these similarities would really turn people off I think...When I'd posted a chapter or two of this in SYW no one had ever brought up that fact so it was a bit of an "oh shit" moment.

Last edited:

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
How much is Dresden Files like, and how much is just urban fantasy, particularly the branch inspired by PI novels? I really don't think that your main issue should be whether or not your main character is a PI when PI characters and similar are pretty common in urban fantasy these days. Oh, and remember that what makes Harry Dresden so special is not that he's a PI. It's that he's a wizard. Is your main character a wizard?

Your ghost sidekick might be a little close to resembling Dresden's, but you don't have to boot him altogether, either. Just find ways to make sure yours is distinct. Sidekicks, including supernatural ones, are also common in urban fantasy and not unique to The Dresden Files.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with Virtue.

The fact that he's male alone may make the similarities more stark, but honestly, there are so many red-headed, ass kicking, smart assed, troubled heroines in urban fantasy that they totally blur together for me. Focus on what makes your story unique, and it shouldn't matter.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm kinda just...idk the word for it right now. I was like "ouch...I really hadn't noticed that", and to be honest I am noticing some of these similarities. I guess I should just take a deep breath, finish it, keep submitting to my group, and see where it goes.

ShaylaElla

Newb. Thick-skinned all the same.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaylascommentary.blogspot.com
Just my two cents, but when I started writing I thought (though without going out for second opinions at that point) that my story, and maybe some of the characters, might be too similar to a published series I'm a fan of. I wrote the story anyway.

And then I began editing. And editing some more. Then I wrote a sequel, and what happened there made me change some of the elements in the first book. Two years later, so much has changed on its own, organically, that I don't think it bears any resemblance to that published series.

Much rambling later, I'd say if you're having fun writing it, just do it. It might change enough later that it's no longer a concern, and at the very least it's good practice for the next thing you write.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
A ghost that speaks through an old radio sounds really cool to me, though I can see your concern. That detail doesn't scream "Plagiarism" or "rip off" to me on its own, though.

As stated elsewhere in the thread, there are other PI's in Urban Fantasy. Is yours a wizard? There's also the Connor Grey series, where the private investigator is a druid. So really, just make your story yours, finish it, and worry about comparisons and similarities later.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
No. Thank the gods I did not make him a Wizard. I'm thinking that I just freaked out a little bit, my whole story was crumbling before my eyes, but it's starting to look like I was being a bit too "do or die" about it all. You have all made me breathe easier, but it really makes me appreciate this group. If they hadn't mentioned it, I may have missed the fact that it may feel to close for comfort to some perspective fans or buyers (you know if I ever achieve publication).

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
What Virtue said and what Shayla said.

Also when I first started (original) writing, I imitated the style of my favorite authors. Many people would remark on this, and I was frustrated as well (though at that time I had no idea how to get published, etc). Over time, I found my own 'voice' and stopped looking at the similarities to my fave authors/books.

I think you should take a look at your story and decide what elements are necessary and what seem a little too close for comfort. You may love the Bob-like character (oh man I love Bob in DF :D), but may feel okay about altering other characters, etc...

Remember to breathe.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Haven't read The Dresden Files, but I agree with Virtue and Scribe. With my narrative hat on, the similarities sound mostly superficial. Donning my business hat, from a marketing perspective, this is probably a good thing (just enough similarity to catch readers who like The Dresden Files without being a clone) as long as the market for these narrative attributes isn't oversaturated. This part:

I even have a Bob-like character with a ghost that speaks through and old radio
gives me the most pause, but that may be due to the fact that I can't figure out exactly what you're trying to say. Does Bob have a pet ghost? Is your Bob-like character similar to Bob in his role in the story, his personality, his character arc, all of or none of the above?

Anyway, these parts:

The story-line and flow are certainly different; main characters die, people do drugs, my language is a lot rougher,
So the tone is totally different. And the theme is probably also totally different.

and the story really takes a turn for the worse right off the bat.
And the plot is entirely different.

So all you have to worry about is whether your characters are too similar, yes? They've got similar surface attributes, but are their voices totally distinct from those in The Dresden Files? Are their narrative arcs distinct? If so, then I don't think you have a problem. If not, then these are things that you can probably consciously tinker around with without messing up your whole story, right?

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, The Dresden Files isn't the most staggeringly original series ever written - the popularity comes from the way the books are written, and the way in which all the old tropes are mixed together in interesting ways.

Finish the book, then edit, edit, edit.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
What Virtue said and what Shayla said.

Also when I first started (original) writing, I imitated the style of my favorite authors. Many people would remark on this, and I was frustrated as well (though at that time I had no idea how to get published, etc). Over time, I found my own 'voice' and stopped looking at the similarities to my fave authors/books.

Remember to breathe.

I agree with Smiley, Virtue, and Shayla.

I'm still trying to voice some honestly, but I think I've gotten better at having my own voice than I used to be.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I had a similar experience. Only I had finished my novel and was in the editing phase when someone pointed out the similarities to a series I'd never even heard of but was becoming popular. I finished it and subbed it anyway. I had a few bites, probably because of the similarities, but was ultimately rejected because my story was crap. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.