Registered
Reaction score
I had a chocolate cookie. Or two. :e2cloud9:

Also, I want to fall in love :(

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. So I repaired a book with a split corner (on a paperback cover) with a dab of superglue between the split parts so it won't get further damage. Except, then I had to press it together for a sec to dry...

There is now a thin, dried, immovable layer of superglue covering the pad of the thumb and index finger. Just thick enough that I have no sense of touch through it.

D'oh!

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Okay. So I repaired a book with a split corner (on a paperback cover) with a dab of superglue between the split parts so it won't get further damage. Except, then I had to press it together for a sec to dry...

There is now a thin, dried, immovable layer of superglue covering the pad of the thumb and index finger. Just thick enough that I have no sense of touch through it.

D'oh!
Try using nail polish remover with acetone. I've heard that works.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking something up for a story, and started reading the Alcoholics Anonymous webpage. Some of it sounded vaguely familiar. So, with that in mind, I present .....

Could you have a problem with writing?

Answer YES or NO to the following questions.

1 - Have you ever decided to stop writing for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

2 - Do you wish people would mind their own business about your writing-- stop telling you what to do?

3 - Have you ever switched from one kind of writing to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting hooked?

4 - Have you had to have a quck look at your story upon awakening during the past year?

5 - Do you envy people who can write without getting into trouble?

6 - Have you had problems connected with writing during the past year?

7 - Has your writing caused trouble at home?

8 - Do you ever try to get "extra" writing in at a writer's group because you do not get enough?

9 - Do you tell yourself you can stop writing any time you want to, even though you keep right on writing?

10 - Have you missed days of work or school because of writing?

11 - Do you have "blackouts" or lost time while writing?

12 - Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not write?

Did you answer YES to at least four of the above questions? If so, you may have a problem with writing.

*no disrespect intended to actual alcoholics/members of A.A.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
The funny thing about addiction related questions is that if you swap out alcohol with something important to the individual answering the questions, most of them will fall into the "addicted" category.

I think it's part of human nature. It's just that some addictions are better than others. Like writing. Or coffee.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
What caught my attention were questions 1, 4, 9 and 12. Especially 1. I can't not answer YES to them. God knows, I've tried to quit. I really did quit for a few years. But my brain would not let go of trying to tell stories.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
My brain is so bad that it makes up stories all the time. I make dinner and my brain has me being interviewed about my latest book. I can be walking down a street and my brain has it as Dicken's London but with cycling dwarves. I sometimes wonder how thin the line is between writers and 'insanity'.

Is question 11 when you go back through and old notebook and find something you don't remember writing?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
My brain is so bad that it makes up stories all the time. I make dinner and my brain has me being interviewed about my latest book. I can be walking down a street and my brain has it as Dicken's London but with cycling dwarves. I sometimes wonder how thin the line is between writers and 'insanity'.

Jeez, I thought I was the only one who did this!

Is question 11 when you go back through and old notebook and find something you don't remember writing?

I don't know. I read it as something that I do all the time: I have an hour before I have to leave for some appointment or another, so I'll think, "Oh, I'll just do a couple quick paragraphs before I have to leave." I open the file, start picking away. I look up at the clock, and Oh, crap! I should have left fifteen minutes ago, and there's no way I'm going to get to my appointment on time!

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com

I don't know. I read it as something that I do all the time: I have an hour before I have to leave for some appointment or another, so I'll think, "Oh, I'll just do a couple quick paragraphs before I have to leave." I open the file, start picking away. I look up at the clock, and Oh, crap! I should have left fifteen minutes ago, and there's no way I'm going to get to my appointment on time!
I think it's what Junely said.

When you lose all track of time.

That's what happens to me.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder how thin the line is between writers and 'insanity'.

I should probably add that my family (and most of my friends) think I crossed that line a while back, particularly when I start talking out loud, testing dialogue. They ask, "What's wrong?" and my answer is always, "Don't mind me, I'm talking to the voices in my head."

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com

If you're ever seen the film 'The Commitments', well I'm as bad as Jimmy Rabbitt - you can get the trailer on Youtube, it's pretty funny. If you haven't see it, he's the band's manager, and all the way through the film, he pretends he's being interviewed about what's happening.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
If you're ever seen the film 'The Commitments', well I'm as bad as Jimmy Rabbitt - you can get the trailer on Youtube, it's pretty funny. If you haven't see it, he's the band's manager, and all the way through the film, he pretends he's being interviewed about what's happening.

Not seen it, but I'll definitely look it up.

I don't know if anybody's read, "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," by Thurber. But I pissed off my English teacher in high school regarding that story. We read it in class, and then we were discussing it. Our teacher was pitching it as a sad story, here is this guy living in fantasies rather than dealing with the inadequacies in his life.

I disagreed vehemently. My first response was, "How wonderful!" He wasn't doing anything wrong! Most of us are not living our dream lives, and all the positive thinking in the world is never ever going to change that. I thought the character had found a terrific way to find some joy in an otherwise humdrum life.

The teacher and I had to agree to disagree.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon Cantina! I was supposed to go to the Pittsburgh Ren Fest today, but the weather didn't cooperate. Stupid rain!

No you're not! I'm just like both of you. I'm guilty of the "interview" thing. I'll even take a step further by thinking about which actors should play my characters in the movie. :D

Well, I'm going to go watch my cousin play volleyball.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
So I know I talk about how hard it rains here a lot, but dude, it's like someone tipped an ocean upside-down over the whole city. Every few minutes when the wind picks up we get grey-out from the sheer number and speed of the droplets. It's kind of awesome, but it's also kind of deterring me from going out anywhere.

Rain this intense isn't unusual for Hali at all, what's unusual is how long this has been consistent for. We had one day this week during which it did not rain hard, and even then it showered a bit in the morning. I'm tempted to start planning where to build the vegetable gardens on an ark. :tongue

If only we'd had this in the summer, right?

unruley700

save us from sleep and what we are
Registered
Reaction score
I had a chocolate cookie. Or two. :e2cloud9:

*starts packing*
Hope you like samiches.
(dy)/(dx)=x^2-3= Rulez dove to one side as the barbed tentacle shot out of the wall, its pincers snapping, missing his legs by inches.

He tucked and rolled, coming up on one knee, pivoted.

The tentacle coiled back, as if rearing, and the pincers turned toward him.

Rulez gritted his teeth.

Shit on a brick.
If you wrote me into a K & M episode, I'd love you forever
P.S. I want Mouse to kill me. Preferably in hand to hand combat.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, my pretties! Operation: Visa Form is currently ongoing. It's taking forever, as predicted. *le sigh*

Well, if you do want to tell me your birthdate, there are always more private methods. But I am actually so excited to sit down and work backwards that I might want you to hold off until after I've formulated a report. Lol.
Okay, why don't you come up with your solution and then I'll tell you my DOB ;)

This is why we never really abandoned the extended family household, like much of the rest of the country. If I hadn't been in the same house with my mother when my babies were little, I would have broken one or more of my children.
This kind of living arrangement is very common in Asian communities, where you'll often get married adult children living with the parents of one of them, and the grandkids growing up in the same household...

In my dh's case, books and doing the opposite of his parents in most ways. He's a naturally blunt and honest personality, so he hates liars and his mother isn't telling the truth as long as she's speaking, so that was one thing.
Whenever I have my own kids, my approach to parenting will basically be to do the opposite of what my parents did. Sometimes bad parenting can be a blessing in that regard. It's weird.

Morning folks and happy Sunday.

This afternoon the war horse and I plan to kick ass in bareback dollar and earn some dollars.
Sounds like fun! Good luck on earning those dollars :)

Alas, if only the E-Z-Freeze was a real resource... :( Internet dating? :Hug2:

I think it's what Junely said.

When you lose all track of time.

That's what happens to me.

Yeah, this happens to me as well. When you get into what you're doing and before you know it hours have passed and it's dark outside and you let your husband have a marathon three-hour nap because you forgot to wake him up....

Yeah I've done that.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
*starts packing*
Hope you like samiches.

... :roll:

You folks remember that AtCT I was working on? Well, now I am beginning to wonder if it's kosher to add in fictional r'ships for comedic value...

Because this is how I picture you and 10s as a couple:

ARGH MEETINGS! Politics blowz ballz.

Sammich?

Can you take the dogs for a walk? I've got another meeting.

Sammich?

Srsly Rulez. Puppehs needs walkin'.

Sammich?

If you walk the dogs first.

*walks dogs* Sammich?

Yes, here. Now I shall write... Sammichpants!

Bacon?

Not right now, I have a migraine.

Sammich?

Chocolate.

Chocolate sammich?

... Admittedly, it's probably not very accurate, but my mind is warped.

unruley700

save us from sleep and what we are
Registered
Reaction score
... :roll:

You folks remember that AtCT I was working on? Well, now I am beginning to wonder if we're allowed to add in fictional r'ships for comedic value...

Because this is how I picture you and 10s as a couple:

ARGH MEETINGS! Politics blowz ballz.

Sammich?

Can you take the dogs for a walk? I've got another meeting.

Sammich?

Srsly Rulez. Puppehs needs walkin'.

Sammich?

If you walk the dogs first.

*walks dogs* Sammich?

Yes, here. Now I shall write... Sammichpants!

Bacon?

Not right now, I have a migraine.

Sammich?

Chocolate.

Chocolate sammich?

This sounds like every relationship I've been in. What are you getting at?

Status
Not open for further replies.