Is anyone on Wattpad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
Not putting a WIP/something you still intend to query up on the internet is probably a wise move -- but people have gotten book deals through Wattpad, and I posted the entire first draft of the book that my agent is now submitting to editors on Figment as I was writing it (and mentioned so in my query letter), and none of the agents who gave me personalized advicey rejections mentioned it as a pitfall (and most of those got as far as requesting at least the partial, so clearly it wasn't an obvious reject flag for them). So if my experience means anything, as long as you take the work down before you query it, putting something out on Wattpad or similar is *not* the same as self-pubbing in the eyes of agents. (But from what I've read you should mention it in your query just to be on the level.)

Last edited:

jinkang

Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jinkang.livejournal.com
I was comparing Wattpad and Fictionpress...both seem to have issues with plagiarism, but those threads here at WC seem aged... not a big deal anymore? Just curious before I make the jump as well. :)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I've been considering Wattpad... It's nice to see so much love for it.

I've seen people say it's a good place to see how your writing is received. I've seen people say that it's a good place to publish something you just can't find a home for. I've seen people say it's a supportive community where you can connect with other writers.

I've seen people say even though it happens, not to put something up hoping to attract an agent because it's a long shot and not worth burning first rights.

I've seen people say that published authors are putting up stuff, but I can't tell if these are small parts of a story to promote a bigger work... or if they're whole freebies.

I've heard various industry professionals say that some writers to promote themselves (and not just any given book) post free content—either small, independent works or works related to, for example, a published series.

So say I had some stories in reserve that I've planned to give away. Is it better to do that kind of thing on a blog or website, where I might not have a lot of visibility at first, or would a place like Wattpad, where there's already a large gathering, be a good outlet for that kind of thing?

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
So I was thinking of making the plunge tomorrow, and putting something up. Just something serially at first, but I think if I'm gonna try to become a game writer, it's good to get something out there even before I get officially published. I am still working on the stuff I am officially going to publish, but this seems like it might be an okay place to start. Anyway, Gonna start and at least make an account tonight. See how it goes from there.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Apparently I am. I totally forgot about it! I had to join to look at something, looked at the something, left, and never went back. I'm not even sure what people DO with it.

The Book Elf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thebookelfsnook.blogspot.com
I'm on wattpad. Slowly finding more serious writers who will actually give thoughtful critiques, which I like.

Wattpad seems really good at deleting if you delete your work. I tested it a few times, and each time when I log in it tell me the deleted story isn't available, even if I downloaded it to my device. Which is something I liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.