Share Your Successes!

dogpie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really glad I found this thread. It's nice to know that even if I never get lucky enough to get picked up by an agent/publisher, there's still a chance for success in the self-publishing route. Thanks for your stories guys.

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As of this morning, just over 24 hours after I announced its release, Crazy Days in Big Lake is #71 in Amazon's mystery/police procedural category

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
It has now risen to #43 in its category. What a thrill. I feel so very fortunate.

Skyler West

Registered
Reaction score
It has now risen to #43 in its category. What a thrill. I feel so very fortunate.

Absolutely tremendous Nick. I've been watching your progress for a while. I hope I can attain even a tiny slice of what you've achieved.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Great going, Nick.

Six sales of The War Gate for 10 active sales days. Not bad and quite average or above for me. It's brand new, even if it is a back-list title. But it's had the hell edited out of it, so I think it's pretty clean.

I'm running some adventures in self-pubbing on my blog, right as they happen. Give me good fodder.

tri

Skyler West

Registered
Reaction score
Great going, Nick.

Six sales of The War Gate for 10 active sales days. Not bad and quite average or above for me. It's brand new, even if it is a back-list title. But it's had the hell edited out of it, so I think it's pretty clean.

I'm running some adventures in self-pubbing on my blog, right as they happen. Give me good fodder.

tri

Great figures triceretops! Always great to see things bubbling along. I liked reading about your decisions on your blog, and how things were going. Keep it up! :)

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Minor Sales

I have sold 8 books so far and have just listed another novella free on Smashwords. Since then downloads of the others have risen, but no more sales--yet. I also just recently put 3 of the e-books on Amazon, so we'll see. But, you know what, that's 8 more than I sold when the manuscripts just resided on my computer or on a a thumb drive so I'm thrilled!

Skyler West

Registered
Reaction score
I have sold 8 books so far and have just listed another novella free on Smashwords. Since then downloads of the others have risen, but no more sales--yet. I also just recently put 3 of the e-books on Amazon, so we'll see. But, you know what, that's 8 more than I sold when the manuscripts just resided on my computer or on a a thumb drive so I'm thrilled!

Excellent! I'm sure it's thrilling to see people buying your work!

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your congrats! It is thrilling, and I hope to see more sales in the future. Congrats to all those who have seen success--hopefully it will inspire others!

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
A dollar a day keeps pessimism away!

I'm not sure whether my Kindle sales will encourage others or not. It has encouraged me and here is why.

I self-published a children's chapter book, Poster Girl, a few years ago. It got good reviews, but without a lot of time for me to promote it, its sales have been pretty abysmal.

A month or so ago, I decided to create the Kindle version of Poster Girl in order to try out the formatting instructions and software that I had found. I have two more fictional titles that I'd like to publish on Kindle. Good stories, that could be entertaining people rather than sitting in my desk drawer. These stories have not been published previously in any format.

I pretty much did NOTHING to promote the Kindle version of Poster Girl other than creating one free day. But I did NOT post on Facebook. I did not email family or friends. I did next-to-nothing and expected few sales. I know, I know... not exactly a recipe for success, but this particular title was in my mind, a dress rehearsal for a title that I thought I could promote well and I didn't want to burn my friends out, "Yes, Anne, another Kindle title, blah, blah..."

So, imagine my shock when I logged on yesterday and discovered that my average sales are one just below one a day and I'm therefore earning about $1 a day. (I priced the title at $2.99). I am shocked and greatly encouraged. To sell a title with zero promotion -- yes, it has good reviews, good cover art and a Look Inside feature -- but zero promotion for a children's fictional book? To me this indicates the immense potential for sales on the Kindle and I'm quite excited.

And meanwhile the $1 a day I'm now receiving is better than the income the paperback version of the title earns!

So, I hope to post more success stories in future days. I dipped my toe in the Kindle waters and found them quite appealing!

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nick,

I lurk on this thread and occasionally click on people's links. The other day, Big Lake was featured in one of those regular emails I get from Amazon (the kind that say, "new in kitchen products," or, "Books you may like," or whatever it is they say). I don't know if it was featured because I'd already browsed it or because it's rising in the ranks, but either way it was getting some visibility there.

Skyler West

Registered
Reaction score
I just sold my first copy to a complete stranger. They left a message on a forum for me. Told me they "couldn't resist". It feels amazing to have someone who is not family get your work. Though the thought is slightly terrifying.

Is anyones KDP sales screen taking almost a day to update? My one is taking forever.

Skyler West

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyones KDP sales screen taking almost a day to update? My one is taking forever.

When I make changes, it looks like it takes about four hours to re-set. Hasn't really run any longer than that.

tri

Thanks triceretops. I was meaning the time for actual sales to come through. I knew people had bought the book, but it took over a day for that 1 sale to show up. I thought it was quicker than that. Real time almost. I'm trying not to be impatient and check every few minutes ;) *smacks myself on the wrist*

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
Many authors have a backlist of books or stories that are sitting on a computer somewhere gathering dust. (Can files on a computer actually gather dust?) I have decided to recycle some of the travel stories that have appeared in our Gypsy Journal RV newspaper over 14 years on the road, and just published a new book titled Overlooked Florida, Over 30 Great Florida Destinations You Shouldn't Miss! Stories about frontier forts, wildlife refuges, historical museums, Cracker homesteads, and fishing towns, all waiting for you away from the glitter and glitz of of Orlando and Disney World. You can see it at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091JRM9I/?tag=absowrit-20 If this goes well, I'll do a couple more.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Sounds like an interesting title, Nick. Good luck with it!

It seems that my sales and rank dip in proportion to how much time I spend away from promo. Decided to give myself a break for several days and noticed no sales on three titles. Boy, those babies need to be spoon-fed. I'd thought that at least one of them had sustained enough self-momentum for a sale every now and then.

Did somebody say this was easy? And I've been doing it for years and years now. You'd think I'd picked up a clue or two. I think there comes a saturation point where your regular sales channels prove ineffective and you have to move on to different areas and resources. Right now I can't think of any. I still haven't learned out how to put chapters or articles up on Goodreads. I'll redouble my efforts.

tri