1st Person Switch

Prodigy

Mr. Incredible
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infernorising.com
So I decided after many thoughts to maybe try First Person..

However is it a good idea to do dual 1st person within the same chapter?

Like the first part of the chapter is told from the first main character and in the next scene(within the chapter and with page breaks) switch to the other Main character. I worry that readers may get confused of the "I" if it switches throughout the chapter.

My friend said if I planned to do dual Lead characters and switch between the two within the same chapters for scene breaks to use 3rd limited instead of 1st unless I use 1st and let the chapters be focal chapters instead of switching between scenes.

(It becomes tricky as I had wanted to also delve into the persoans of the other main/secondary characters when the mains/leads weren't around)

Edit: Or can you still use 1st & 3rd interchangeably? Meaning In one scene, it may focus on the lead characters yet in the next scene, it has nothing to do with the Leads and is focusing on the secondary characters and their plot?

Last edited:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
No, I can't see a good reason to just abruptly throw in third person. Nor can I see a good reason to do a page break for jumping to another narrator. Why don't you just start a new chapter with a new narrator?

Why are you choosing first person for this story anyways? I could see if you're writing from a single character's perspective, or doing something with two different journal narratives. But it seems like you're wanting to write and switch into POVs like you would with third--with instant recognition with names and characters, unlike what first person has.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer multiple first person characters to have their own chapters. Is there some reason that you prefer a scene break to a chapter break?

Some people prefer a single first person POV and then 1 (or more) third person POV(s) to having multiple first person POVs. I am not one of those, but some people do.

Almost nobody has a problem with multiple third person POVs.

For your first foray into first person, I would suggest doing just one POV, but that's just me. With multiple POVs you really have to make sure it's clear which "I" it is and that the voices are clearly different. Switching at the chapter breaks, consistently, will help, and labeling the chapters will help even more.

Prodigy

Mr. Incredible
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infernorising.com
No, I can't see a good reason to just abruptly throw in third person. Nor can I see a good reason to do a page break for jumping to another narrator. Why don't you just start a new chapter with a new narrator?

Why are you choosing first person for this story anyways? I could see if you're writing from a single character's perspective, or doing something with two different journal narratives. But it seems like you're wanting to write and switch into POVs like you would with third--with instant recognition with names and characters, unlike what first person has.

Just to have something new. I've rarely found a good 1st person book I liked so I wanted to tackle it and see if I could create the ideal 1st person book I personally have always wanted to read myself. My plan is to have two lead Characters as Focal(twin brothers). But I also wanted to delve into the lives of their close friends as well. The overall first story centers around the brother's individual struggles as well as their brotherly bond, but also deals with their friends lives.

Gabriel and Riley have distinctive personalities and ways of talking so I don't necessarily think it'll be hard to recognize them however, I often get confused in books sometimes tha that have multiple POVs

It's a contemporary.
I prefer multiple first person characters to have their own chapters. Is there some reason that you prefer a scene break to a chapter break?

Some people prefer a single first person POV and then 1 (or more) third person POV(s) to having multiple first person POVs. I am not one of those, but some people do.

Almost nobody has a problem with multiple third person POVs.

For your first foray into first person, I would suggest doing just one POV, but that's just me. With multiple POVs you really have to make sure it's clear which "I" it is and that the voices are clearly different. Switching at the chapter breaks, consistently, will help, and labeling the chapters will help even more.

The scene breaks would be able to utilize 3-4 different characters/plots throughout the chapter.

Example one:
Chapter one deals with the lead characters(Gabriel and RIley) moving to their new school. There is tension between the two(one knows why, the others does not fully understand).

AS the chapter is meant to progress, Gabriel finds himself facing a former friend that he came out to and had a bad reaction while Riley himself is doing something potentially dangerous and risky at school.

And the 1st chapter more or less alternates between G & R's respective first day experiences intermingled with the secrets and perceptions of their new/old friends.

Perhaps 3rd Limited may be better for this. But can 3rd limited sometimes focus on characters who aren't G & R?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to have more minor POVs, you want to stick to third person. Make sure that all those POVs are truly needed.

But for argument's sake, why couldn't you have broken that first chapter into multiple chapters at what you intend to be the scene breaks?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to tackle it and see if I could create the ideal 1st person book I personally have always wanted to read myself.

So then why are you asking other people for advice? Sorry, but it sound contradictory that you want to write a first person book the way you always wanted to read one, but are asking others what they think. Either you're changing your thoughts on what you wish to do because of this thread, or not listening to our advice or opinions. Sorry again, but contradictions are contradictions.

And the 1st chapter more or less alternates between G & R's respective first day experiences intermingled with the secrets and perceptions of their new/old friends.

I don't know how long the first chapter is, but without some time spent with each POV I typically feel lost and disconnected as a reader. Jumping back and forth from one POV to the next--especially narrators--within the opening 5000 words, IMO, can be jarring. My own rule is that I stay with a POV for at least 5000 words before switching--as long as I can.

Perhaps 3rd Limited may be better for this. But can 3rd limited sometimes focus on characters who aren't G & R?

I'm not trying to turn you to the dark side I mean back to third person, but from what you've told us I see no reason why there should be multiple narrators and it also seems like you're thinking of first person in terms of third--where you can trade POVs on the fly. IMHO, multiple first person needs to have a framing device to discern why there are multiple narrators. Without that, the reason why there's multiple first person narrators is "Because I wanted to do so," said the Author. If you want a better narrative, IMO, this is where you start.

Regardless of narrative style of POV, the story can focus on any character or POV you wish. A first person book doesn't have to have one, two, or a million narrators. Nor does a third person book must have more than one--I've written plenty of stories with one third person POV. Third person is much easier to have multiple minor character because the instant recognition factor (if the reader remembers their names).

And I'll echo my and Sage's suggestions: Why not split the chapter up? Chapters are just chapters; feel free to create more. If you start a new chapter and name it with the character's name, you're clear up a ton of problems.

Prodigy

Mr. Incredible
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infernorising.com
So then why are you asking other people for advice? Sorry, but it sound contradictory that you want to write a first person book the way you always wanted to read one, but are asking others what they think. Either you're changing your thoughts on what you wish to do because of this thread, or not listening to our advice or opinions. Sorry again, but contradictions are contradictions.

It was more of asking was that a smart idea to have it switching between dual 1st person in the same chapter :) I wanted to make sure what I was considering doing with multiple 1st person in chapters separated by scene breaks was good.

It sounds like that isn't probably the smartest or best idea though.

As far as the secondary charries go....While the story does revolve around the two brothers, it also to a lesser extent focuses on their friends and how the boys both deal with their friends issues so sometimes I'd like the story to deviate from the 2 leads to focusing on the secondary characters from time to time.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
When I do a break from first person I do it in a Comic Sequence so that you're never in another person's head. But that's because I want the story to be entirely filtered through the thoughts of my MC. When you see something from the comic panels its not being filtered through her perception so you're free to decide what you think for yourself without being filtered through her perception.

In case that makes no sense what I'm writing is a comic/novel hybrid.

As I write this I realize this may not be helpful so let me say something different.

If they're confused they'll get over it. Your readers aren't idiots.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
It may be best for you to write the story first, get those plot points down, and then decide which POV works best for it. I'm thinking the story might require omni. It all does come down to what the story needs.

J.S.Fairey

Registered
Reaction score
Just to have something new. I've rarely found a good 1st person book I liked so I wanted to tackle it and see if I could create the ideal 1st person book I personally have always wanted to read myself. /QUOTE]

Have to admit, this worries me slightly. There's nothing wrong with aspiring to write the book you've always wanted to read! That's good in fact; I know many writer's who's book came from "I love sci-fi but all of these sci-fi novels suck, I'll write my own" or "I love romance but all these romance novels have annoying protagonists, I'll write one with a good protagonist!". That's fine. That's good.

However, I've never heard anybody say "I hate sci-fi so I'll write a sci-fi book and then I'll like it." Which is practically what you're doing with your viewpoint.

If you don't like reading first person, you're probably not going to like writing first person. It sounds like you're naturally a third-person person, which is fine! There's nothing wrong with sticking with what you know. If you insist on sticking with first person though, I'd really recommend not having character switches within the scenes. In my opinion you should only have character switches at chapter breaks, otherwise it just gets confusing (especially with multiple 1st POVs).