Is this something,

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
That could be fixed later?

I had just finished my YA cyberpunk/portal fantasy, with an unrequited love and self-hate subplot.

I'm having a hard time rationalizing all the decapitation references. I'm thinking strongly, of reducing it to only a couple every ten chapters (of twenty five chapters).

As it is, it regretfully feels more like a slasher, which isn't exactly the take away I'm wanting. More accurately an SF romance that focuses on style and character arc. And yes I'm aware of how a lot of YA has a lot of death. But I'm wanting it to be a quieter sort of dystopia with less death.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Decapitation 'references'? If you only refer to the decapitations, without actually describing them, or showing them to the reader, it's not so bad. You don't actually have to have them occur 'on-screen' for the reader to know they're happening. It's less immediate, but if your story isn't about decapitations, you don't have to have them front-and-center.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure there's not just a decapitation motif, or something?

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Yea I would almost call it a decapitation theme. Like there isn't anything on screen, it's more the overall mood.

A lot of the arc is driven by undoing loss, and stuff like that.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
So, it doesn't sound like a slasher film, then.
More like novel set in wartime, but not near a battlefield. A book about life on the homefront, say, where people lose loved ones overseas, or there are terrible things in the papers or on the news, but no actual blood and gore.
Or Tudor times, where there might be heads on spikes on the Tower walls, or a nobleman's cousin might be imprisoned and racked for treason, but life for most people just continued as normal.
There's still a feeling of tension and change in the air, but not the smell of blood.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you can have a decapitation "theme" or "mood." Like, I'm not sure what the mood of decapitation would be like...

A motif is a pattern of, say, imagery, phrases, etc. So if decapitation comes up a lot, and things are symbolically decapitated (cutting off flower buds, rolling around heads of cabbages? I don't know) even if very few people end up actually decapitated, I would call that a motif of decapitation.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Then yea I would say a motif for decapitation.

In the same sort of way Night In Terror Tower has a decapitation motif. Very few if anybody decapitated, but the general menacing feeling is there. Not sure how I'm going to revise this to make it less of one.