Transgender teen commits suicide, leaves note on Tumblr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I do appreciate that most of the news articles I've read, refer to Leelah by her chosen name/pronouns. Makes me hopeful that we're moving away from the days of Gwen Araujo and the Trans panic defense. I know we still have a ways to go, but progress of any kind needs to be celebrated, especially when there are stories like these out there.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I fear this has to happen a lot more times before enough people in power get it. I'm so glad to know that all of the few transgender people I know in person or online have some support, but that doesn't mean there aren't legions who do not.

Maryn, shaking her head

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

It's great that people are paying more attention now. But I hate the fact that it took a tragedy like this in order to make that happen.

You make some very good points here. I wish there were some way to make transgender teens feel like there's another way for them to be heard and to make a difference. I do worry that high profile suicides could encourage other kids who are on the cusp to seek the same solution.

I don't want any more kids, or adults, to die, most especially if they might not have otherwise. But I think it's important for these stories to be out there so maybe people will start to get it. So yeah, torn.

I was in the store today, and the tabloids at the check out line had Bruce Jenner's picture all over them. For many Americans, awareness of the issues related to being transgender is limited to a few celebrity cases like this and the ensuing hyperbolic media circus that usually results.

Status
Not open for further replies.