Is La Perla using Poser CGI virtual models in its New York Times ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Man, I have to try and find an online image of this.

I have been looking at a lot of ghastly book covers made with the "Poser" human 3D modeling program. It has kind of sensitized me to the poser physique and posture, and especially the awkward, stiff hands.

So this morning as I was reading the physical New York Times, the corner of my eye was caught by something screaming "Poser."

Down at the bottom of page three of today's paper is an ad for La Perla showing a model in a bra.

She looks like a very high end Poser ... thing. She's got the Poser button nose and the Poser preternatural skin and the notorious Poser shoulders and the featureless stiff Poser hand. They are all skillfully done, better than most Poser stuff, but I am looking at this and thinking "My gods, it's Poser."

So maybe I am a madwoman. I'll see if I can get an image up.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The Poser program of virtual three-dimensional human figures was originally meant as an aid to artists. Unfortunately, many people take it as a super easy drag and drop way of depicting human figures without needing to know any art.

Unfortunately, you really do need to understand art and anatomy to make the program produce acceptable ( I will not say brilliant) results. Otherwise they can be just plain terrifying.

Poser figures are immediately recognizable and are offputting in an uncanny valley way. Their hands are especially horrible, but they also have distinctive knobby shoulders and some common postures which show up again and again. Hair is often very weird.

Here are a couple of places which collect offputting Poser art:

http://lousybookcovers.com/?tag=pseudohumans
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?523232-ENOUGH-WITH-THE-BAD-3D-POSER-ART!

I have seen better uses of Poser, but not as yet any that really overcome the weaknesses of shape and especially those hands. Looking at these and many other examples, I began to be sensitized to the particular Poser aesthetic.

And here's the ad that screamed Poser (albeit really good Poser gone over by a pro) to the corner of my eye this morning:

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that's a real human, albeit an unhealthy one who's been 'shopped to hell.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
IDK. I think you were seeing the affect of photoshopping away skin texture, which is something that poser definitely suffers from.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I read quite a few Poser/DAZ 3D webcomics but that pic didn't even remotely tingle my Poser-sense. Sure, it's maybe been fiddled with so it looks suspect, but in the wrong way.

You can bet that somewhere on the internetz, there is a 3D art/uncanny valley discussion thread in progress, with diametrically opposed factions (traditional vs. digital artists) spoiling for a rumble.

-Derek

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
This is the best-looking Poser-generated cover I've found to date.

It's not a bad cover, but even here the anatomy is off and those hands are just not working.

I wonder if we are seeing a convergence of the aesthetics of virtual pseudohumans and drastically Photoshopped real humans.

Poser or Photoshop, I suspect that in a hundred years these images will look as bizarre as this sort of thing does to us today.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the effect might be because of the way the re/de-texture skin in high fashion photoshopping these days. It does cause a Barbification,

Ted Christensen

Writer and Artist
Registered
Reaction score
The thing with using Poser/Daz3d is many people would use it as a means to generate the figure/image and then use the base render straight out of the program without editing. This gives it the "Poser" look as it is not a super high end 3D application meant to deliver the end product straight out of the box.

This comes as the user doesn't understand weight, direction of movement, body flow, and other factors that come with an artistic understanding. Poser is just a tool. A fantastic tool; but also, sadly an all-too-often misused tool.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! I think Poser covers are the ugliest things about, to be honest. That dead Uncanny Valley look. <cries>

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
If done well you can get good results and it doesn't cost that much. I would be happy with any of these on my cover:

One
Two
Three
Four

"If done well" is the tripping point there.

The finest examples of experienced professionals look pretty good.

The trouble with Poser is that it feels like it ought to be easy even for the untrained nonprofessionals (much the same way it feels like writing is so easy anyone ought to be able to do it).

People who don't have any training or understanding or even awareness that they need any understanding of anatomy, composition, lighting, color, space, perspective, layout, and typography are given the false impression that this program will take care of the hard stuff for them.

It seems to be analogous to self-publishing. For every one cover that looks like one of those links, there are hundreds that look like this one.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"If done well" is the tripping point there.

The finest examples of experienced professionals look pretty good.

The trouble with Poser is that it feels like it ought to be easy even for the untrained nonprofessionals (much the same way it feels like writing is so easy anyone ought to be able to do it).

People who don't have any training or understanding or even awareness that they need any understanding of anatomy, composition, lighting, color, space, perspective, layout, and typography are given the false impression that this program will take care of the hard stuff for them.

It seems to be analogous to self-publishing. For every one cover that looks like one of those links, there are hundreds that look like this one.

Absolutely. There are some scary poser covers out there. It's one of those things that either looks great or awful, so if you don't have the skills, then it's far better to hire someone else or at the least get a good stock photo. If you decide to go the poser route you will need to put some good money into it and get the best quality items you can. You will need a premium skin texture, good looking hair, a good back ground and you will probably have to do some post work in photoshop.
Also getting the face right is one of the hardest things ever. Unless it looks amazing you should rather do a back shot, a distant shot or a scene shot. Those aren't quite as punishing.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually tried Poser and DAZ for some other projects, but I just couldn't wrap my head around them. I couldn't imagine the Z axis needed to create the essential effects so I had to delete them.

Status
Not open for further replies.