Tips for Parents of Transgender Children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right now you may be feeling confused, angry and skeptical. You may be in disbelief that your child could be transgender.
But you should know this: If your child has come to you and disclosed their thoughts about feeling different inside from their outside appearance, you should feel great. After all, this means that as a parent, you've done your job.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...nsgender-expert-offers-tips-parents/24508683/

I was thrilled that this article was in my local paper this morning. I thought it might be a useful resource for some.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Mine has never spoken about it. He's growing his hair and has asked for a pink My Little Pony outfit for his birthday. We'll see where he is going I guess. As yet he's not said he wants to be a girl and doesn't hate being a boy but he does talk about going through puberty like his sister.

I guess when he's ready he'll tell us more.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
I'm definitely going to take a look at this. As an anxious person, I tend to pre-stress over every aspect of relationships or potential parenthhood. Always nice to find answers* to questions that most people don't think to ask.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the whole Kardashian clan, but I think Jenner's recent revelation has made it more okay to talk about this openly.

It can be a difficult process for the parents, but I'm sure our daughter (born as our son) is facing bigger challenges. She is who she is, and we love her no matter what, but that doesn't mean we won't screw up the preferred pronoun or that the doors this closes (while opening others) are not ones we hoped she would pass through. It's been about 18 months since she told us, and I confess I still dream of her as my son, and in those dreams she dies, over and over. (If that were a dream sequence in a book, I'd throw it.)

To my pleased surprise, even the most conservative of our relatives has been pretty accepting of this change. They all know someone who's transitioned, or know someone's parent or sibling. My fears that they would not try to understand, would continue to use the old name, would disapprove or ridicule, did not pan out at all. I wish every kid or adult who transitions would have at least this level of support.

Maryn, still workin' on it all

Status
Not open for further replies.