Any other Artist/Authors? [Art in thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesBaldwin

Fancy Dandy Man
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed most of the posts in here are people looking for covers, or people who design them, but I'm curious - are there any other author-artists here?

I illustrate all my work, design my own covers, etc... for m, the illustrations are a necessary part of the work, and included in the total narrative.

Here's some of my covers and artwork for LILIUM, the series I am self-publishing and serializing on my website (which I also built!):

sam_mike_cover_small.jpg

http://theliliumproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Sapheda_OLoS_medium.jpg

http://theliliumproject.com/wp-content/gallery/work-in-progress/sapheda_wip_2.jpg

And here's the MC from my urban fantasy novel:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/304/9/e/alexi_face_by_glorificatasura-d6skgo7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hi, James. Great art!

I'm sure the mods will stop by to mention it, but the art needs to be resized so each piece fits into 400 pixels or smaller at the largest dimension. There are lots of people on AW who have slower connections that get bogged down with huge images. It's a courtesy thing.

I'm another artist/writer, but I dabble in a lot of other creative stuff, too.

alldis

Temet Nosce
Registered
Reaction score
First off, nice artwork.
I suck at life drawing, so kudos on the skills. :)

I'm a graphic designer/writing myself. I design my own covers, set the fonts and layouts in my novels, and have a blast messing around with fake movie posters that motivate me to keep writing.

Here's my latest, though the font choice isn't typical of Fantasy, it's not a book cover either, so I'm safe. I think.

A.

m8kxz6.jpg

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm currently in the planning/sketching stages for a story in comic format. Since all my stories have always been heavily visual in my mind, I've been drawn to comics/graphic novels as a form of media for a long time.

So I guess you could say I'm also an artist/author. :D

SapphireGuardian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
igg.me
I'm am author and a graphic artist, so I used to make all my arts and designs for all my books. This little angel below is my beloved winged heroine of my book series, Crystal Shade.

GraciusAngeniusResize.jpg

Last edited:

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
another author/artist here. Mostly charcoal and pencil, but I recently began dabbling in watercolor.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I like drawing and writing! Maybe that counts?

Drawn this week.

One of the characters from Ghost Shards. His name is Demi Carinae and he loves women.
tumblr_n6j056qVww1sqr6l7o1_500.jpg

This is Darrin Lyker – a random original character with no story to call “home”.
tumblr_n6k4o4ps1m1sqr6l7o1_500.jpg

Another one of my original characters, Clover. :] She is an herbalist, and takes plant life very serious. Her antlers are part of the headband she wears.
tumblr_n6k4qjkRsE1sqr6l7o1_500.jpg

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
I'm also an author/artist. I've got the BFA to prove it. My focus was in ceramics and metalsmithing, but I mostly just do ceramic pottery and sculpture these days.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I do a bit of design work, and have a loosely agent-like relationship with a very talented artist.

Aleiarity

mostly harmless
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I count as either an author or an artist...

but if I ever finish one of my novels, I do plan on doing the cover art for it. I can draw and paint a bit, but I suck at photo manipulation.

Um... I don't know if I have any art worth posting... I'm always short on time for doing or making anything... so much of my stuff is unfinished.

13139916875_a513643958.jpg

here's a painting I made for a friend, but haven't sent yet because I need to figure out how to ship it...

8449650066_dd104bf862.jpg

a sketch I made over a year ago and never finished...

12301673006_1cf270dd90_n.jpg

quick ipad sketch of three characters in a story I was working on because a couple people asked for it

8078189044_7483b16ecd.jpg

some digital paper dolls i made for someone when I was trying to figure out Procreate (a drawing program on the ipad)

10396694645_45ca294acf_n.jpg

a drawing (supposed to be reminiscent one of da Vinci's preliminary sketches of Leda) that was part of my Mystery Build entry from last year

10396180294_14c24dc767_n.jpg

I'm still shocked that I finished the dang thing in time.

marcievaliant

Registered
Reaction score
Totally not an artist in any way, just popping in to gawk at the pretties. You're all so talented!

Holy crow, Aleiarity, everything there is amazing, especially the sketch+sculpture.

And MissStrawberrii, your style is fabulous!

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Yup. I write and illustrate children's books. I've been doing all the covers, and now that I'm self-pub bing work for adults, I do those covers too.

Having to do my self-pub covers has given me a great appreciation for my layout people, let me tell you! I have shaken my fist at the sky, screaming "KEEEEERRRRNINNNNNG!" a few times now...

SapphireGuardian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
igg.me
One of my recent main character arts what I've made for the upcoming extended edition of my book series, Crystal Shade.

Guardian Grace, a.k.a. Executrix Angeni (Heavy Armor Edition) Finalized Wallpaper Art
GuardianGrace.jpg

And here is the same wallpaper art in 1080p, full size, so you can see in better details.

Last edited:

taeray

storyteller. animator. artist.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaolindiantales.wordpress.com
All of the art above looks so great! You guys are really talented.
I love your cover, James Baldwin and your herbalist sketch is so cute, Miss Strawberrii.

I'm an artist and aspiring author. I'm in the querying stage. I have been drawing my characters since I started this project seven years ago. I absolutely love to draw. I am actually compiling a sketchbook companion for my fantasy novel. As I've gone through editing and just re-reading I've been sketching out my favorite scenes and characters. It's been so fun and really helped me flush out some things.

Here's a promo digital painting I did for my book and put up on my DeviantArt account:

And these are detail shots for the header I painted to up on my blog I launched for my novel:

These are obviously finished pieces. My sketchbook companion will be a lot rougher. This is one of the pages I'm calling done. Most of them are just one character sketches but this is probably my favorite one so far.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
SapphireGuardian, that picture looks a smidgen big. Please see if you can reduce its area slightly to about 400 by 400 pixels. About 200 by 800 is okay if that works better for your picture's format.

EDIT: Thank you.

Last edited:

Jhaewyrmend

Registered
Reaction score
Artist / Animator / Writer, awww heck, really if it's art I've tried it all: painting, computer art, pen and ink, watercolors, animation, Maya, Modo, Web design, sculpting, guitar, recorder, just bought an electric piano recently. That's my curse, way to many hobbies.

I will definitely be doing all of my own art for cover design.

PrincessOfCats

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a writer who writes for artists. Does that count? :)

I live in a house with three artists. I've written a graphic novel for two of them to illustrate. They're about a third of the way through, one of them doing the base drawings and the other one inking. They're juggling the work with their day jobs, so it's going slowly. I REALLY want them to finish it, because the third act of the story is one of the best pieces of writing I have ever done.

I also recently wrote a totally dialogue-free script for an animated short for them and their friends to animate. I got brought in because they all wanted to animate something, but they'd started fighting about the script; nobody could agree on what should happen. That was a really interesting mix of writing and diplomacy.

I don't know if writer/artists feel this way, but for me, writing for a visual medium felt very different than my usual writing. Especially with the graphic novel, I really had to focus on my writing taking a backseat to the art. I also needed to give the artists plenty of chances for amazing visuals; long scenes with two characters talking in a living room work in novels, not so much in graphic novels. I never realized before then how lazy I was about conveying information via dialogue. I thought that it was showing not telling, so it was okay, but sometimes taking the time to figure out how to convey the same information with the actions that characters take is more powerful, even if distilling things that way is more work.

I definitely learned a lot; it's changed how I write. The novel that I wrote after writing the graphic novel turned out to be a lot more, for lack of a better word, cinematic than the one before it. (I also let the artists design a couple of my characters, and as a result, they look REALLY cool.)

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
I used to do both quite a bit, but i haven't drawn anything in months...I just don't feel confident in my ability. I haven't moved to a higher level of skill in like....6 years, so I'm taking a break from it. Writing is even worse, though recently I finally got over my almost-a-full-year long writer's block.

Status
Not open for further replies.