Looking for help with a pamplet cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
My grandmother died yesterday.

I called my aunt and offered to do Grandma's biography, because I've got lots of material. I did hours of interviews with her two years ago, and photoshopped a bunch of old photos as well.

I know how to integrate images and text together in Word, so I can handle the pages.

Staples said if I set the pages up singly with the correct margins for a half-sheet (8 1/2 by 5 1/2, total; I'm currently thinking of half inch margins) they can turn the thing into a pamphlet; the sort where you staple it in the middle and the pages fold in half. They can give me a nice cardstock cover for not too much more.

I really want to do a nice job on this thing, since I don't want the sort of bio that typically makes people sound about as interesting as a bug pinned to a card.

I'll do the words (although I'll be asking for crit on another forum). But I'm ashamed to say that even though I'm an artist, I'm really blanking on the cover.

And I can't even get the image to post. I have a photo; I saved it as a jpeg, 376 by 400 pixels, and it won't post. I'm so incredibly frustrated over this, because I can hardly ask for help with formatting if I can't even post the image.

I've tried opening it in Word and acrobat, and copying and pasting. I even tried opening it in Paint, but I couldn't see any way to copy it there.

If anyone could give me some advice, I would be very grateful. I loved her, and I really want to do a good job on this.

Thank you.

wN6iAXOUxQgBgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

wN6iAXOUxQgBgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Have you tried uploading the picture to a place like Photobucket, then linking from there? (That's how I usually do internet pics...)

Sorry to read of your loss. My grandfather died this year, too - not entirely unexpected, but you can never really be ready for that kind of thing.

As for designing, I tend toward the KISS philosophy. A simple photo, maybe with a basic frame, and a nice, legible font: her name, maybe the birth/death dates, and that should be all you need, unless you want to add a very basic caption (In Loving Memory, A Life Celebrated, etc.) Save more detailed stuff for the pamphlet interior.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss.

If you need need help let me know.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss Cathleen.

I'm sure techier people will be able to help but in the meantime I was just able to do it by copying an image (via mouse rightclick) from my desktop and then pasting it in a word doc (rightclick again).

I'm sure your pamphlet will be a beautiful tribute.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
So, on this cover:

I was thinking of faux matte and frame, for the dignity of the thing. The picture is in black-and-white.

It's pretty easy to imagine a white matte and a dark frame, if you go down a couple posts and look at the photo that alleycat was kind enough to post for me. Or would it be better with a dark matte and a light frame? 3-D effects (shadowing) on the frame?

Any font ideas? My defaults are Times, Arial, and Verdana, none of which seem to be right to me.

Any suggestions from anyone who's thinking clearly would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone else see the image? I cannot.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
No I can't, when I clicked on the link I got a sign-in to gmail page.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is the photo Cathleen wanted to post. I'm doing it for her.

Grandma1945small_zpse68fd68c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.