Feedback on the first drafts of my book cover

sugarhit

Writing a novel on my lunchbreaks
Registered
Reaction score
Backstory: I'm writing a series based on a high schooler who gets in on the YouTube bandwagon early on and blossoms from awkward, maligned teen to respected and well paid beauty guru/makeup artist. The series follows her from 16 y.o. to around 25 y.o.

I'm not loving the font:
202338174kSiJPSO.jpg

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Are you self-publishing, or was this provided by the publisher? IMO, the text just blends into the background and I don't like the blank white space in the middle. But I am not the best person to give advice on this...

sugarhit

Registered
Reaction score
I'm self publishing. I agree about the font. I'm not sure what it needs.

Thanks for the white space tip

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
I think the background isn't too busy, so try and use a more striking/bolder font and see if it attracts the eye more :)

sugarhit

Registered
Reaction score
what about this font?
it is called chunk 5

0zELAoa.jpg

Last edited:

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
I like the simplicity of the design, but I have to agree that the lettering is too thin. The font you have now is elegant, like a salon, but it needs something bolder to stand out from the background's high (but minimal) contrast. Is BeautyTube supposed to be one word? If not, maybe it could be broken up to cover some of the dead space. I love that peachy pink and gold tones.

The second font seems too chunky, the serif appears to take away from that elegant feel you had before.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Sugarhit, that second image is far too big: can you edit it down a bit, please? It's so big it's disappeared off the side of my screen, and I'm using a big laptop.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I love the cover, but the solid black font is a bit brutal. The font itself is nice imho, but the black... It's too bad your cover is too bright to make it white, though I thought about putting the text on the golden bar at the top but then it's too small.

sugarhit

Registered
Reaction score
I love the cover, but the solid black font is a bit brutal. The font itself is nice imho, but the black... It's too bad your cover is too bright to make it white, though I thought about putting the text on the golden bar at the top but then it's too small.
I'm wondering if a darker peach color or gold would work better?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The first image needs reducing too: it's 590px × 944px.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Kerning needs work. The space between the "e" and "a" is too large. The tyT spacing is way to compressed as is the "Be" spacing.

I feel like there's not enough room for your byline to breathe. It's just a little too close to the graphic elements in the image.

sugarhit

Registered
Reaction score
Kerning needs work. The space between the "e" and "a" is too large. The tyT spacing is way to compressed as is the "Be" spacing.

I feel like there's not enough room for your byline to breathe. It's just a little too close to the graphic elements in the image.

That's super helpful, I'll pass it along to the designer.

sugarhit

Registered
Reaction score
The designer came back with this update before I had a chance to mention the color. I'm thinking something in this color family would set off the color better:
20234137S3XdYXNu.jpg

fab23c90f68adca2_Screen_shot_2012-03-14_at_4.32.50_PM.preview.png
:

I'm wondering if tinting the white background beige or a 15% gray would help?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kerning still needs work, IMO. More space between the y and the T, and less space between the T and the u.

sugarhit

Registered
Reaction score
Kerning still needs work, IMO. More space between the y and the T, and less space between the T and the u.

Ah, I see what you mean. I'll bring that up.

I'll also see if this font I found on an Etsy shop would work better
iusb_760x100.14676290_akh1.jpg

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
Don't laugh, but I saw a beauty blogger tutorial a looong time ago where she paired peach and burgundy eyeshadow, and I really liked it. For some reason I can't see the images today, but try the purply shade your designer suggested. I'm not a fan of block colour titles, but maybe you can do some kind of effect that would encase the purple letters in black, to bring the title forward a bit more?

And I like the Etsy font :)

sugarhit

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks y'all

sugarhit

Registered
Reaction score
If anyone is still around/cares.

Here's the mockup with three font choices. Kerning and such will be addressed but I'd love feedback on the font color and choice. I'm a new author and working with a new design grad so I appreciate the input more than you'd realize.

RHXoUxO.jpg

I'd want the "Book one/1" to be a plain font like the byline. I'm also thinking that the byline should be all caps but that's another story.

Last edited:

Ted Christensen

Writer and Artist
Registered
Reaction score
I would be more cautious of "scripty" style typefaces for a cover, as it is harder to read. Especially considering that the thumbnail will be quite small. And type over images can be problematic.

However, of the three, I think the first would be your best choice. It is simpler, clear, and seems to fit the title better. The trick now is how to make it stand out as scripts are inherently "weaker" visually than a nice bold sans serif. Anywhere it can go, it would be crossing contrasting tones, making color choices difficult.

But then, if you want the image to carry the message, the title can be a bit more subdued. You just don't want it to seem timid and sort of tucked up there in a corner.

If you could bring the top down a little and get more of that soft pink, that could certainly work for a clean backdrop for white text. Or a subtle drop shadow to ring in the script. Even a white block could work to really set off the text if you don't mind covering some of the art.

This is a tough one, and something I would personally spend some time fiddling with. I love the image. But yes, I agree that Book 1 should be in the same typeface as your name. Script faces are delicate flowers, and should be used sparingly. Besides, the sans serif your designer chose is a really nice modern face. I loves me some sans serifs!

sugarhit

Registered
Reaction score
However, of the three, I think the first would be your best choice. It is simpler, clear, and seems to fit the title better. The trick now is how to make it stand out as scripts are inherently "weaker" visually than a nice bold sans serif. Anywhere it can go, it would be crossing contrasting tones, making color choices difficult.

But then, if you want the image to carry the message, the title can be a bit more subdued. You just don't want it to seem timid and sort of tucked up there in a corner.

If you could bring the top down a little and get more of that soft pink, that could certainly work for a clean backdrop for white text. Or a subtle drop shadow to ring in the script. Even a white block could work to really set off the text if you don't mind covering some of the art.

Yes, I think I'll ask her to put that first font over the lipstick and in a font large enough to span the entire width of the graphic.

Thanks!