The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they pay on acceptance. So I would guess it's not retroactive to anything already accepted, but I don't know.

Here's the breakdown of payment specifics from their Submissions Guidelines page:
Analog pays 7-9 cents per word for short stories up to 7,500 words, $525-675 for stories between 7,500 and 10,000 words, 7-7.5 cents per word for longer material, and 5 cents per word for serials. We prefer lengths between 2,000 and 7,000 words for shorts, 10,000-20,000 words for novelettes, and 40,000-80,000 for serials. Fact articles are paid for at the rate of 7 cents per word.

Checked Asimov's, too. They have also upped their rates to 7-9c/word for up to 7.5k. They pay 7-7.5c/word for longer work. (With a caveat about not paying less for a longer story than they would for a shorter one. I guess for things that are just a little more than 7.5k?)

Thanks, Aggy. Suddenly the long crickets from them are a plus for me...hope springs eternal...

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to quietly interrupt and tell you all thank you for all the hard work you put into keeping this thread alive.

In the wake of the announcement regarding Duotrope, I can see this thread (as well as some of the others dedicated to market listings) being even more valuable than they were before (which was extremely valuable to begin with!).

I've not been focusing on short fiction this year, but I peek in here from time to time and have found the advice and news to be wonderfully useful.

I'd contribute more to the convos if I felt like I had anything to contribute. Either I think nothing I have to share will be really valuable, or else someone has already beaten me to announcing something by the time I get here. :tongue

Beyond that, though, I just haven't been staying on top of short fiction stuff much this year at all.

I'm very thankful for the community here, and find threads like this one just as useful (or maybe even more useful since it's more personal) than shopping on Duotrope.

Okay, truthfully I thought the two complemented each other pretty perfectly...but, what are you gonna do?

Anyway, regardless of where I land on Duotrope, I'm going to try to be around *here* more often in 2013.

Unless you want to start charging me $50 a year. :wag: Then I'm out. :tongue
Actually, if I end up not donating to Duotrope each year, or paying for a subscription now, I will probably put the extra money to AW. But you'll have to sort the paypal stuff out with Mac. :D

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
So what's up with N@meless? I know they say to be patient, but I've been waiting 198 days now, and my sub is still on "received".
Might as well hold out if you've been there that long. But just as an FYI, Jason has filled up N@meless for at least the next issue of their twice yearly journal. And if their first issue is any indication, they only buy about two stories, not including the stuff they plan to use in anthologies.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday when I was looking for another place to send the SF short I discovered the following (which may not be news to anyone else).

Black Gate is no longer buying fiction.
Space And Time seemed to be having serious website issues.
EFantasy Fiction triggered a rootkit/virus warning from my antivirus software.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Honest to God, I cannot figure out how anybody finds any place to submit anything. I spent a big chunk of time trying to ferret out possibilities tonight, and got nowhere but clinically depressed. It's getting close to file-deletin' time.

caw

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Honest to God, I cannot figure out how anybody finds any place to submit anything. I spent a big chunk of time trying to ferret out possibilities tonight, and got nowhere but clinically depressed. It's getting close to file-deletin' time.

I don't spend a long time figuring out where to send stuff. If it's real world, it goes to literary markets. If it's unreal, it goes to the speculative ones (and possibly the literary ones too).

I follow major guidelines like word count and broad genre, but I don't invent guidelines. So no deciding they don't take science fiction, or stories set in France, or historicals, just because I haven't seen it in a recent issue. If they don't say outright they don't accept it, I assume they do.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com

caw

Do you have markets you enjoy reading? Do you write in the same vein? That's where I start.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Space And Time seemed to be having serious website issues.
I noticed this too and--since they accepted a story of mine during their last open submission call--I did some investigating. Turns out their hosting service changed servers and screwed up their site. They said they were able to salvage the site, but didn't mention when it would be restored. I'm not sure if it's related, but for those of us looking for a contract, it was supposedly sent between the 20th of December and the 1st of January. I posted a question about it on their Facebook because I haven't received mine yet. I'll post if there's any relevant news.

Update. Space & Time had this to say to those awaiting contracts: "I'm still sending out the official [Letters of Acceptance] ... in batches of ten ... so keep your eye out -- it should be there by Friday of this week."

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Cemetery Dance will be closing their doors to submissions at the end of January 2013. If you haven't already subbed your masterpiece, best get to it!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Nameless Magazine has decided to release short stories and non-fiction exclusively on their website, at a reduced rate. Taken from their new submissions guideline:

"Written SUBMISSION UPDATE - Due to the high volume of good submissions, we now have an alternative to rejecting a story, as follows: Effective immediately, if the story is CONDITIONALLY ACCEPTED, we will offer to use the complete piece in the fiction (or nonfiction) section of the NAMELESS website at a reduced rate of $.02/word (to be displayed indefinitely, and payable within three weeks of online publication; we ask for exclusive online/print Rights for four months if you agree); we also reserve the right to keep it in contention for our future book series, THE BEST OF NAMELESS."

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the Cemetery Dance heads up Marzioli! I was able to sub before they close. :)

Thanks for the Nameless heads up too!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Interfictions (previously an anthology series... now to be an online publication) is open for submissions in February. 5 cents a word for fiction. Also looking for poems and non-fiction, and stuff that isn't quite anything. They want interstitial stuff, so between genres and forms.

https://interfictions.submittable.com/submit

Thanks Polenth. I checked them out.
Also just found readshortfiction.com. Duotrope listed them this week as bumping up to pro payment. They take all genres and sound pretty cool. Not listed as fledgling either.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Polenth, Alex and Eliza!
I've got something for 3 of those markets, but with the German anthology, I wonder if the story has to actually be set in my country?

Anyway, here's my offering:

NPR's 3-minute fiction is open again.

Other thematic February deadlines I know of:

Crossed Genres: 'She' - due Feb 28
Penumbra: 'Ocean' - due Feb 28

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Polenth. I checked them out.
Also just found readshortfiction.com. Duotrope listed them this week as bumping up to pro payment. They take all genres and sound pretty cool. Not listed as fledgling either.

I do find this part of their terms to be a little off-putting.
along with the right to archive the story on our site indefinitely. (We do have an author-requested take-down policy after two years from publication in the sole event that you are producing a collection of exclusively your own work and you believe the public presence of your story on Read Short Fiction would harm your sales.)

Even places that take reprints (and some anthologies) don't want anything that's still available online. Strikes me as a little bit restrictive.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Polenth, Alex and Eliza!
I've got something for 3 of those markets, but with the German anthology, I wonder if the story has to actually be set in my country?

Nope! My story accepted there wasn't set in USA (nor was it set on Earth. Nor did it feature American characters.) :)